1st-Person Dialogue

I wonder what will happen if for some reason bandits hunt you and you decide to have a little chat with some random person at the market place. While the player is standing there and considers the options, will they appear on the screen behind his back and crush his skull with an axe? :smiley:

I mean, if the world would freeze entirely, that wouldn’t be possible.
Which of course would be totally dumb because if the player is that stupid and decides to chat while some bad guys are after him, he deserves no better.

Full ack!

[quote=“RGS, post:20, topic:9872, full:true”]It’s a stretch goal I would certainly increase my pledge for
[/quote]
Yes, that would have been a good stretch goal.

I hope so… :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just talking about my own taste and view here, no offense. :wink:

In the picture above it is 1st-person.
Only when Henry is making his gestures the camera switches to 3rd-person.
So, it’s almost 1st-person only.

It’s not 1st person, it’s not view from his eyes it’s cinematic camera

I would like to see where warhorse says this. :guardsman:

I think that in a game with a predetermined character and a predetermined plot…I’d prefer the game dialogues to be viewed from the current cinematic camera.

What I find more amusing is their choice to make the rest of the game play out completely in 1st person…like Far Cry. A very nontraditional choice for this genre…but with a combat system like this I can see why. I also find that I appreciate more of the world around me when I’m playing in 1st person.

I think they’re striking a nice balance with both. The only thing I may feel iffy about is riding in 1st person. The concept of fast moving first person with a bobbing horse head on the lower half of my screen always seemed so odd to me.

There can’t be any balance imho. It’s mixing up two completely different approaches.

Why non-traditional? There were games before this which had 1st-person, full body awareness etc. too. And if you want to go for “realistic”, you have to show the world through the eyes of the character, at least in combat. Another thing, I didn’t thought about it consciously till now, but if it had been 3rd-person I wouldn’t have pledged. I just realized this. Riding looked fine to me in the live stream video (the demo build) where he was riding for quite a while.

@Cerberus
Yeah I mean riding looked fine… I’m just so used to being in 3rd person while mounted. Probably because of how much Skyrim I played when it came out. I remember 1st person riding in Oblivion being ok… and this looks better than both. Its just something I’ll have to get used to again.

Non-Traditional not necessarily meaning never done before. But look at most modern RPGs… with the exception of the Fallout & Elder Scrolls series I can’t really think of many in recent memory. And both those titles allowed for 3rd person gaming as an alternative (I just chose to play them in 1st).

@LordCrash
Which is why I find the fact that they’re choosing to have the rest of the game in only 1st person interesting. IMO the first person makes sense mechanics wise…since the fighting would be as effective in 3rd.
But the predetermined character and plot are clear signs of a storyline driven RPG. Yeah they have a lot of immersive freedom aspects (which I’m very excited about) but the character isn’t “me” so I find myself intrigued by the cinematic camera dialogues. I’m looking at this game similarly to how I’d look at reading a book. Its a story being driven by a main character that I just happen to control. I’m in his head… but I don’t think his thoughts for him.

Something that bothers me, is the modding side of it. In Skyrim it was “easy” to add dialogue, but this game has made it a thousand times harder with a definite protagonist voice, and cinematic cameras for every dialogue, along with full-body animations.

If ever they implement Rift support those dialogues lines should be put on the bottom center part of the screen. With bigger typesetting.

About the first person dialogue: I think it’s nice. But if you turn the “head” your interlocutor could be “hey, what are you looking at?” Or something like that.

I like how the guard randomly hates your guts and ignores all those peasants sneaking past him while you were talking to him.