A little experiment

Hello anglophone Kingdom Come: Deliverance fans.

Recently I have started to upload a little video series, called Let’s Learn About Kingdom Come: Deliverance to YouTube. In those videos I discuss the historical accuracy of what is shown in the currently available build of the game and give some information on the historical background of what we can already see there.
However, those videos are in German, but a few people have indicated they would be interested in English versions of those videos.

After giving it some thought and excluding the possibility of just adding subtitles to the existing videos, due to time constraints, I have decided to recapture the videos, but this time do the commentary in English.

I have finished doing this for the first video and although I am not a hundred percent satisfied with the result, I am not as fluently speaking as I would have liked to, I decided to upload the video anyway to gather some feedback from the generally very well informed and helpful KCD community on my first feeble attempt of such a video in English.

So, I would be very happy, if you would check my video, if you are interested in what I have to say about how the villagers of Samopše dress, and could tell me what comes to your mind while watching it.
Constructive criticism, corrections and additions regarding the presented facts, grammar, pronounciation and technical aspects of the video are very welcome and will hopefully help me to improve future videos.

Give it a try, if you feel like it over here: https://youtu.be/56Hk3jQLHEM

6 Likes

Good job! I did not watch the video in its entirety because the subject matter does not particularly hold my interest.

I enjoyed how much your interest in the subject shows, you spoke in depth about the items you covered and also discussed their applications and how they came about.

Your English is very good I had zero difficulty understanding you at any point of what I watched.

The only critique I have is edit out some of the filler, like when you walk from one subject to another. Unless you are relaying information about a particular subject it has tendency to feel unnecessary.

Overall I think you did a really good job, I liked and subscribed and im interested to see what you next videos subject is.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I think my fellow Earl @McWonderBeast has summed it up perfectly.

I too couldn’t watch the video in its entirety, but the parts I did watch were fine. Your English is great, so no issues there… I laughed a few times picturing Arnie doing KCD fan vids though :laughing: *Yea I know he’s Austrian, but the accent gets me every time :smile:

My only critique would be on the length, obviously you go into great detail… but that in itself is part of the downfall here and limits the amount of exposure this will get due to people being turned off by how long they need to commit to watching.

If it was me I’d suggest being a bit more choosy about what to talk at length about, gloss over some things, and just try to focus on some key points and facts. In that way you’ll also reduce the length of the video, but won’t compromise the historical accuracy and quality you’re going for.

Thanks for sharing though!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind Feedback @McWonderBeast and @Earl_Thorn.

I will try to reduce the length of the next videos and apply cuts when I’m changing places to show something different.

Also, it really is ok, to laugh at my accent when it really sounds like Arnie, although I had not been aware it does. =D

2 Likes

Great work, man.

I watched whole video and it was very educational.
I have a question though.
The colours you mention are:
Yellow - fast fading and so wore by lowe class (jews and whores)
Black - made from iron and by time destroying the fabric by rusting. Wore by lower clergy.
Blue - epxensive colour that took some time to make, not really accesible for common people.
Green - fast fading, turn into kind of blue.Because it is made from yellow and blue.
Brow - made from walnut you gave no information otherwise.
Red - like brown you stated just from what it was made (i did not make out the word.)

The question is what colour would be worn in village like Samopesh. Seems like they would not wear yellow, blue or black.
That leaves us with brown, red and green.
But green is made from yellow and blue, where does the blue come from? Would it be made from sources less ideal, like berries you mentioned?
And then would not the green fade out completely?

In the end it seems that in a village people would wear just brown, maybe red and then some kind of unidentifiable faded colours.

Yellow for lower classes?

That depends a lot on the dye used to due it yellow. I can see how horse urine might be a cheap dye but saffron was also used and that made it quite expensive.

they’d mostly wear undyed, so natural fiber material color. grey and white

Red was typically made from madder.

People could make blue from things like cornflowers or berries and probably had done so for quite some time, because it was pretty cheap and readily available. Sure, those colours would fade, but people might have been used to re-dye their clothes to freshen the colours up. This would make sense given that coulours would fade pretty fast, but dying with locally available plants could have been done at home.

Dyers woad, however, had been available in large quantities from the 13th century on, so while it might be a complicated process to dye with it, it might not have been that expensive, especially when compared to indigo, which was prohibitively expensive.
Side note: Woad is the stuff Celts used to paint themselves blue.

Saffron was mainly used in Asia, throughout the Middle East and Spain. While some sources claim the Irish leine had been dyed with saffron, this is not without controversy since saffron had been (and probably still is) the worlds most expensive spice.
For example in 1438/39 in London, a city well connected to trade routes, one would pay 18.028 pence for a pound of pepper, 24.151 pence for a pound of cinnamon and 182.857 pence for a pound of saffron.

Also saffron is not a very stable colouring agent, it will pale eventually. So, while it produces very vibrant yellow, orange or red hues (depending on the concentration used) initially it suffers from the same major drawback - fading pretty fast - as dye based on birch or weld.

1 Like

I read the saffron mentioned in an English account of the Irish clothing indeed. It alludes to the fact that only nobles used saffron for dying their clothes while the normal people had plain shirts.

Now I do not know how much revenue the Irish nobles had and since it was something of a backwater those days it might not have been much. But the minimum annual revenue a western european man-at-arms (middle 14th to middle 15th century) needed to maintain himself was cited at 40 pounds.

With Flemish cloth industry so close it might have been affordable to get saffron dyed clothing if you were a noble of some sort. Though it really depends on how much dye was used for what quantity of cloth.

Apparently saffron is a pretty effective dye, but I couldn’t find out how much of it one would need to dye a typical garment.
what I have found are two articles of people dying linen like it would have been used in the middle ages. One did it with saffron and the other one with broom, which contains less pigments than weld, two very common plants in Ireland.

Please find the articles over here:
http://fuhlendesigns.com/saffron-dyed-leine/
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/articles/irish-articles/to-dye-a-saffron-colour.html

To my surprise both dye bases provide the same colour on the fabric. So, regarding that Ireland has historically been a rather poor region, when compared to most of England, I know which dye I would have used as an Irish noble.

But of course we can not know for sure what they actually used.

The color is indeed quite nice.
Maybe it’s the photo quality but I think I like the first one better :smiley:

I have decided to finally upload the second episode of Let’s Learn About Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
The topic is of which parts the typical medieval village consisted and I also talk about pigeons and bees.

Somehow this one was a lot harder for me than the first episode, but I have tried to keep it short. I decided to make two English episodes of the corresponding German episode.

Please tell me what you think about this video, I try to gather as much feedback as possible to improve future videos.

The video can be found by following this link: https://youtu.be/16F7M6E4tyY

3 Likes

Good work.

These may be of assistance to you.

g_showhud 0 this console command disables the Hud so you can focus on your subject without the Eye wanting to follow the health bar and compass. This command disables the cross hair as well.

wh_ui_showCompass 0 sets only the compass to not appear
wh_ui_showHealthbar 0 sets only the health bar to not appear.

CL_FOV with this command you can change the FOV. the lower the number the higher the zoom could be useful to get a zoom focus on what your discussing. (default is 60)

1 Like

Those are very useful indeed, thank you very much. =)

1 Like

Your welcome.

I figured if I get distracted by it other viewers might.

The FOV command can gives you the ability see the finer details.(archers armor is really neat at about 15-20)

Thanks again for those wonderful tips, I’ll definitely try them out.

1 Like

You might also like to use this:

“is p_gravity_z XX” Sets the gravity for you and NPCs" (Runs in Alpha 0.1)
------>\XX is for digits ,-13 is normal value!\

not sure if it works in today version.

But if it does, it will allow you to float in the air and look at things from above, which would be ideal for describing the fields.

So how it works. You set the graviti at value above 0 which makes every NPC and sheep to float.
And when you are high enough you set graviti at 0 value.
You cannot move in the air, though.

1 Like

It works in Alpha 0.3 but you can`t move in the air, like in Alpha 0.21.
I made some videos, but haven´t the time to finish them (I haven´t W3 at all :smile: ).

@Reinicke In general… you should make Playlists and Infocards at your videos. You have over 100 Videos,… it helps to find the “interessting” parts together. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, uhm … infocards, I have given this some thought, but did not have the time to do some research on the subject. I guess it is pretty simple, I would just have to get to it. ^^

Regarding playlists; All my videos are in playlists, each series has its own in fact. Do you have trouble finding or accessing them? Maybe there is a problem, I am not aware of.

@ProkyBambora flying sounds awesome indeed. I shall experiment with this console command and conquer the skies of Bohemia. :smile: :sunny:

Thanks for the videos! I really enjoyed both of them. :smiley:
In the beginning of the second video you talk about how the village was formed - I think it was natural that the center of the village was a water source (the stream/pond).

In the game Samopesch has no well, so all water has to be taken from the surface source. I read somewhere that there were two main types of villages, one was stretched along the sides of a stream and the other one formed a tight circle around a main water source (cz: okrouhlice). Samopesch seems to be a combination of these two approaches.

2 Likes