A little idea

Not really, realistic is that I always can ask after a name. In real live you also simply ask if you want to know who the person is to which you speak.
But you are right: once you found out the name it can/should be displayed in every future dialogue.

yeah, in real life you can walk around and ask everyone for their names. But in real life you wont do that, because you will look like and idiot and you will not remember those names.
Also there will be some generated names so making AIs to tell their names can be very demanding on resources to do.

If it will be possible to get names from context, simple UI option to show or hide NPCs names could do the job (if names in dialogues are planned).

Hi,
you got me wrong. I meant, if you have a name of a person you have to find due to any reason and you do not know exactly how the person looks or where to find it, the it is completely legitimate to ask other people you suspect they are the person you are searching for, if they are the correct person. This can be done due to asking for their name or for asking something like that: ā€œAre you xyz or do you know how he/she looks like ore where I can find him/herā€.

Oh and btw I usually remember the names of persons I asked for their names :wink: ā€¦ thatā€™s not so complicated than you might think :wink:

and yes, once a name of a person was discovered, it should be displayed in the dialogue UI, since you already know the name of the person.

remember that we had discussed a similar proposal before. If the cursor touches a NPC, the player gets the hitherto known Infoā€™s over the respective NPC. Should facilitate the search for a specific NPC ā€¦

1 Like

i dont think that you would look like an idiot.

If you need to talk to someone you will want to learn their name. Maybe except shopkeepers, blacksmiths etc.
Simples way how to learn someone name is to ask or introduce yourself.

Also in Beta, you are solving a criminal case on behalf of Racek Kobyla. It is only natural that you will want to know names of people you are talking to.

but those are just my thoughts.

1 Like

Yes exactly, this were also my thoughts behind raising this whole ā€œasking-for-names-ideaā€.

1 Like

My suggestion will be to contact CD Project RED.
These people are the only decent people in game publishing industry IMO and they have great experience in game making themselves (Witcher).
Any other publisher will be a compromise with something and these PC/console related issues prove it.

Besides, although I also like to have a physical copy of the game (disk), it is not needed at all. Steam proves it. I donā€™t get why @warhorse insists so much on this and is ready to take major hits in order to release Deliverance on disk? Why not just release digital first and then on disk later, maybe some ā€œGOTYā€ edition with all DLC/Expansions/Patches included? It has been done in the past, you know?
When Deliverance is already out and popular, these publishers will broke your phones ringing with offers.
Just my 2 cents!

In the meantime, best of luck to the team and take care!

1 Like

CD Projecte Rede are trewe trustĆ® people nat. Developers, if thee art worthy men dooth switch a thinge nat!

You would be surprised, but physical copies are still huge part of the market. Especially on consoles. Not having physical discs, you are basically cutting your audience in half, because even in this age, lot of people still like to go to gamestop or some other store, and they pick their games here.
And lot of people pick their games online, but order it on physical disc, with package, disc, nice box to show on shelf, some physical goodies, manuals etcā€¦ It has its vibe for lot of people, just like reading actual physical book can be quite different from reading ebook.

2 Likes

exactly thats the point why many people (especially the ones started gaming in the 80ies) want to have a physical copy.
I want a physical copy with all the stuff mentioned above ā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe we are on the same page here, but, what Iā€™m suggesting is, you DONā€™T get any information if you put the cursor over an NPC UNLESS you know who the person is. Otherwise, they are an unknown NPC until you have the necessary context or youā€™ve spoken to them and thereā€™s been introductions.

Now, if you see a blacksmith, and you put your cursor over them, it should say ā€œblacksmithā€ because you know that much. But after talking to the blacksmith, you discover his name is Bob. Bob the Blacksmith :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because of the percentage of backers that have asked for Physical copies. There are many PC backers that went for Physical tiers of Digital primarily because of the bonus materials as mentioned by @Tsunamik.

2 Likes

Many people already pledged for physical versions, and we also want to have physical versions. We donĀ“t want to relinquish on physical versions because some people think publishers are uncool. Digital and physical versions were planned from the beginning.

2 Likes

Ya according to me itā€™s good idea, you can drag more peoples in to it. Hope it works good.

NO, please. It was great to hear about the physical version of this game. I love having my games on my shelf and having the ensurance that I HAVE the game.
I also have Steam, yeah, lots of games; but this is THE GAME and those who like it digital, buy it at itā€™s website!

I also fear they listen more to the partner than to the gamers, but donā€™t leave me without my DVD.

This is a good idea. Even more the idea of making a ALL DLC AND EXPANSION EDITION in the future.

1 Like

to kind of necro the original postā€¦ I would like to see a blog post series next to the Torch questions showing of some ingame items or objects, just to show us how beautiful the game looks. I remember that this was a big point in the kickstarter and early days of the game. ( I remember in one of the dev vlogs how Dan vavra (Sorry if I misspelled the name :stuck_out_tongue: ) talked about how he was on the look out for people who could create the high quality items he wanted for the game)

2 Likes

I agree with both of you, me personally want and prefer a physical copy of anything over a digital product. But still, activating on Steam probably downgrades your physical copies because of the hateful DRM.

It is not like a paper books vs. ebook, which I take the paper all day, every day. It is not a Colin McRae rally from 2001, which you insert into DVD drive and play it. :slight_smile:

I meant that they could release the PC digital version on Steam, if ready, and later release all physical editions for all platforms at the same time. But this is irrelevant now, @warhorse probably figured out what to do already.

1 Like

I also bought and expect a physical edition, which doesnā€™t mean I will deny the digital one, if it came earlier :slight_smile:

I agree. Physical editions is a must, I never said otherwise and I expect mine to come too some day.

Just a little off-topic: most gamers think most publishers are uncool (gentle term). There are exceptions from both sides, first are the ones who continue to buy Ubi, EA, Bethesda products etc. after all fails they did. Second ones I mentioned above. No hard feeling, just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like