Achievement ideas

I also like achievements or better stats in games with serious decision making which show you the decisions of other players. I’ve seen that in The Walking Dead and it was quite fascinating. It hasn’t been done in an RPG so far though it would be a perfect fit imo… :wink:

you are right about the whole its useful for the lesser explorative player. It does need to have a use for it though, so a boost in xp, skills, or something. also achievements for achievements is useless, I dont want pick 100 flowers of x kind to get the achievement, it should be like doing something or finding all of a certain thing like discovering all plants gives you the herbalist achievement which makes potions better or your intelligence better, or even give you a unique potion etc.

exactly, but the useful info should not be an achievement, the dev team should be able to see that no matter any achievement anyway.

I loathe achievements. I find them annoying, distracting and patronising. I don’t need the game to pat me on the head like I’m a five-year-old every time I do something vaguely interesting; achieving something in-game should be enough of a reward in itself.

That said, I realise that a lot of people do like them, so I’m OK as long as they’re completely optional - just make sure they can be turned off. And by ‘turned off’ I mean no in-game information relating to achievements - no auto-screenshots, no annoying messages flashing up on the screen saying “Congratulations, you have just eaten an apple! Here is your ‘Apple-Eater’ achievement!” (Actually, I don’t think achievements should be available at all for stuff you do in the normal course of gameplay - but it’s all the same to me as long as they’re optional anyway.)

You can do that yourself, for example in Steam… :wink:

Right click your game on the Steam library, go to “Properties”, then uncheck the “Enable Steam Community in-game” feature.

No notification or “tagged-on Steam stuff” will annoy you anymore while playing the respective game. :wink:

I don’t use Steam - I’m talking about achievements that are built into the game itself, whether or not you use any ‘community’ features.

Hm, I don’t know many games that use “built in” achievements anymore tbh…but yeah, that should probably be avoided. :wink:

I know many games where you can find “Achievments” in main menu, but it’s just a list, as in Steam itself. Nothing what can bother anyone anyhow.

What from my answer was rude? I asked who cared about made up achievements blips as if effort should go into some objective pat on the back made by developers when I would rather they focus their efforts elsewhere.

2 Likes

no achievements please. bad trend

Achievements, please. Good trend.

Achievements, meh. Meh trend. Meh.

Achievement should be…Upon 1st playing “Well done, thank you for supporting!”…Then NOTHING…

Achievements are so awful, I’m not a dog, I don’t expect a pat on the head or a treat, just for getting up, breathing in and out, having a shower, playing a level, drinking a cup of coffee. It’s really ridiculous…

I used to like things in Smash Bros, or Perfect Dark, like if you had the best aim in a Death Match or used the most equipment, or did the most KO’s. In a none Multiplayer - RPG it’s kind of pointless.

If you don’t appreciate achievements why not just ignoring them? I dont’t get it…

2 Likes

they take time to implement, which might not be relatively long, but i still would like that time to be spent on something else.

don’t do things just because everyone else is doing them. achievements are the worst example of this.

break the trend.

Achievements are included because many people like them. They are not “forced” by any natural law or anything… A trend usually is a sign for a rising customer demand. That’s just a fact, no matter if you personally like it or not. :wink:

And achievements really don’t take that much time, almost none at all. What “feature” would you like to have instead??? I can’t think of anything that could be made in the extremely short time you need to come up with achievements… :smiley:

They’re also easy to create and bring in many people from modern audiences. Achievements = more resources for Warhorse to make the next episode. Think about that for a second :wink:

So first you tell people that they should join the debate. And when they do, you tell them they should keep their opinions for themselves. I don’t get THAT.

And that another layer of challenge translates into extended gameplay. Additionally, it can be produced with minimal investment on the part of a developer.

Making achievements creates more value for the money spent than making full content, like quests, locations, items, or DLC’s. Also, the completionist achievements are usually pursued only by the devoted players. Therefore making achievements adds value especially for the devoted players, which is a very nice thing for the developers to do.

Achievements are allegedly required for publishing on Xbox.

[…]

Montola, Markus, et al. “Applying game achievement systems to enhance user experience in a photo sharing service.” Proceedings of the 13th International MindTrek Conference: Everyday Life in the Ubiquitous Era. ACM, 2009.

Point taken…

My reply was more meant as a reaction to the one-liners like “Don’t like achievements” without explaining why and what to incluce instead. Taking part in a discussion requires imo to be willing to add something and not just to share your own taste or distaste. :wink: