Alpha Performance Thread

650M is quite weak. (Much weaker than desktop 650 i suppose.) Do you have last nvidia drivers installed?

Yes itā€™s weak, but good enough so that I can play games like Battlefield 4 on medium settings and 1080p with 50fps.

I know this game is demanding, and I donā€™t mind playing it on low or medium settings, but even on really low resolutions I get very poor fps.

I have the latest driver installed.

Hey guys, Iā€™ve just been running some performance tests on my rig, and wanted to share the details. So hereā€™s my setup:

Asus X99 Deluxe LGA2011 MB
Intel i7-5930 Haswell-E 3.5GHz
Corsair H60 Hydro CPU Cooler
G.Skill 32GB Kit DDR4 Ripjaws C15 2400MHz
eVGA GeForce GTX970 SSC ACX Cooler 4GB GDDR5
Samsung 28" UHD 4K 1ms Monitor
Running Win 8.1ā€¦

Sheā€™s only a few weeks old :blush:

Anyways, hereā€™s a quick run down of my results >

First Test : 1920 x 1080 - Very High

GPU Load - 42%
GPU Temp - 67 C
GPU Core Clock - 1404.8 MHz
GPU Memory Clock - 1752.8 MHz
Mem Used - 2515 MB
Mem Controller Load - 24%
Power Consumption - 78.2%
FPS - 29.8 - 30.0

Second Test : 2650 x 1440 - Very High (This right here was the sweet spot for me))

GPU Load - 75%
GPU Temp - 69 C
GPU Core Clock - 1353.4 MHz
Mem Used - 2705 MB
Mem Controller Load - 44%
Power Consumption - 86.7%
FPS - 29.8 - 30.0

Third Test : 3840 x 2160 - Very High

GPU Load - 99%
GPU Temp - 70 C
GPU Core Clock - 1315.5 MHz
Mem Used - 3217 MB
Mem Controller Load - 65%
Power Consumption - 95.3%
FPS - 18.8 - 19.0

It gave me a real steady 30 frames at both 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440. I wasnā€™t able to get above that though, even at some of the lower detail levels. So it definitely feels quite resource intensive at this stage. But given what we know about CryEngine, thatā€™s not a great surprise.

Motion blur was intenseā€¦ especially at the 3840 x 2160 res. The game still ran, but I was definitely thrashing the card as you can see from the above third test results. Game play wasnā€™t really sustainable above say 10 minutes at fully maxed out settings; the motion blur and jitter became pretty much unbearable. My head still hurts just thinking about it :neutral_face:

Anyways, obviously weā€™ve got a long way to go. But first impressions are really positive. Some of the textures look absolutely stunning!! I found myself staring at the mud puddle in the middle of the town for ages :smile:

Great job

Hmmm. Iā€™ve just been doing the Print Screen button for mine. Will test this out.

I deactivated the overlay but Iā€™m still not seeing anything, which likely means Iā€™m doing something wrong or missing a step.

Ahh, I did at least find the console commands post made here, so thatā€™s a start.

Howā€™s that even possible? My 2 year old 680ā‚¬ PC is almost getting the same framerate.

Strangeā€¦ Could you try looking straight up in the sky and see if you get more? I hit solid 60 when I do that.
Also, how do you measure? Shadowplay, Fraps, etc?

Sounds like itā€™s cappedā€¦

Edit: also I think your gpu is clocking down at 70Ā°C, Iā€™d adjust fan speeds (to 100% @65Ā°C) and set the limit up to 80Ā°C, however thatā€™s just from my experience (use with caution)

1 Like

Has anyone managed to enable SLI for the game, like with nVidia Inspector?

You are locked to 30 fps somehow because GPU usage is not 100% in 1080p and 1440p.

Thatā€™s not how it works ^^

Pretty sure it is, in this case.

Perhaps you are using DVI/HDMI that only supports 4k@30hz or something.

HDMI 1.4 is up to 4k@30Hz, you need DisplayPort cable to get 60hz,can you check if that is the case?

1 Like

How is that related to not utilizing the gpu at 100%?

But anyways, I agree, itā€™s definitely not the gpu or the game in this case.

It will Vsync to 30fps if you use 30hz

Will Vsync to 60fps if you use 60hz

THe lower the frames rendered by the GPU the lower its usage.

Try to disable Vsync from the game, open the console and type: r_vsync 0

Console key is: the key lef to the number 1

1 Like

Yea I know how V-Sync works, indeed that would also explain why itā€™s locked to 30. But the reason is not the low gpu utilization, thatā€™s a result of it being locked, thatā€™s what I was saying.

1 Like

Is it just me or does the night takes forever before it get day?
like Itā€™s seems to me that the night is longer than the day

1 Like

Yeah almost winter in the north hemisphereā€¦ nights are longerā€¦

It runs on my pc but I need a better GPU to really enjoy it.
I can turn it to high but then it doesnt run smooth at all. After a while the performance also gets worse I noticed
Medium or Low is fine. But I only get about 10 to 20 FPS

Resolution: 1920x1080
CPU: i5 3470 @ 3,2GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 7770
RAM: 8GB
Win7 64Bit

Is there a key to show FPS or do I have to install another program for it?
If I need to, what would you recommend?
And how can I turn off Motion Blur? Could WH post a list of console commands? Thanks!

Iā€™d recommend Nvidia cards, had AMD cards all my life but it seems for gaming you get much more bang for your bucks so I switched and never regret it.
Iā€™m using shadowplay for fps counter, but you could also download fraps for displaying it if AMD doesnā€™t have such features (a lot of people seem to use fraps for that).
r_motionblur 0 turns it off, 2 to turn it on again. There is another thread for commands, but Iā€™m to lazy to search right now, sorry :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the pro tips guys. My native display at the UHD 4K res is maxed at 30Hz, as you say itā€™s currently HDMI.

But something I should have probably mentioned in my previous post is that this was an out-of-the-box baseline test. Iā€™ve made no graphical adjustments, or enhancements as of yet.

I thought itā€™d be good to baseline it, then see how far I can push the envelope after tweaking things around.

Youā€™ve just given me my first port of call though, which will be to drop the res back down to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. And then re-run the same tests.(No DVI in :expressionless:)
*I really wanted some 4K action as well :unamused: sigh

Iā€™d also like to play around with some of the console commands as well. But good starting points.

So thanks @Frikencio and @Dr3adN0ughT

EDIT: Iā€™ve been using a combination of GPU-Z, MSI AfterBurner, and RevaTuner SS for polling the above data.

Cheers