Armor - Types and Wearing

Sorry but this study is, to me, totally wrong. I do practice full armored fighting, as a short guy, I’m a runner and must run from an opponent to another.
So, the fact that you need more energy to move in armor is a fact BUT
Dont forgot that atm, the mens were working/training and had a physical condition as sportsmens nowadays.
So to me, there is some shades in what had been said. Anyway I agree that the character would not be able to have an armor made on measurment.
So it could be interesting to bring a system of plates blocking some movments and, like we do, the character should deal to have a correct mobility

Like a french guys, I’m not enjoy by this video but the guys says a lot of things interessant on the armors and the weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq03z9Hkq2s

I have never worn armour, I have fenced foil and sabre, I’m an archer since I was about 8 years old.
I also played American Football which is probably the closest I got to fighting in armour, while the football kit is not as heavy as a full set of metal armour it is built on similar principles. When starting out getting used to the kit took a while but after wearing it 3 times a week for about 3 hours each session you soon got used to moving in it. Yes it takes more energy to move but your strength also increases to compensate slightly. At the start of our practice sessions you did stretching and warming up followed by a 2 mile (3km) run before getting down to actually training. One of the things we had to practice was laying down on your back with your opponent head to head with you, one had the ball and the other had to tackle and stop him. When we did open days and come and try sessions it was interesting to see people that had not done any training struggling to get up off their backs, some even said it was impossible!
I know it is not quite the same as a set of armour but it is not too far off.
Edit now off to watch those last two videos

Hopefully you don’t need to remove your armor when just walking around the world to explore and then equip or fight without it, because if you wear it you can’t walk fast. But I guess that is where the “ultra realistic” come into the game, some like it and some dont’t.

Just came across these two videos:

Part One - how to make it…

Part Two - Wearing it…

did you watch the 1920s met video? you can move at the same speed. the only issue might be stamina usage. ie, you get tired more quickly.

In LARP, its that exact problem: if it is more than one day, you have to consider when to wear your armor and when not to.
Because wearing it all the time is really exhausting, but if you don’t wear your armor, you certainly won’t have enogh time to get into it when you are attacked. I think that question of wearing or not wearing your armor (or even having multipe suits of armor, a heavy and a light one, for instance) would be interesting to have in the game.
Brawl

you certainly won’t have enogh time to get into it when you are attacked

That depends on the armor. If you sleep in you padding, it it possible to roll out of bed and get a mailshirt on in less than 60 seconds. (if it is laying ready and you now what you are doing.)
But plate armor for the arms usually require help to get on.

I agree that it would be nice if it is relevant to only part of your armor most of the time, and only take on all if you know you are going to fight.

Maybe the solution would simply be taht you need more food if wearing armour?

It depends what type of armour you wear in regards to how long it takes to get ready. When I and my friends gear up for our Viking Group (we do historically accurate viking reenactment combat) it seriously does not take 15 minutes to to put our armour on. You put on your gambeson and then your chain mail over the top which is a bit tricky to get into (sometimes) and then your shoes, gloves and shield and helmet. It only takes about 3-5 minutes depending on how much our Hersir is shouting at us :stuck_out_tongue:

But that is only a gambeson and chain mail which for this game and this period is quite simple and archaic armour. For plate armour I’m not quite sure but judging from how long it takes some of my other mates (who do medieval reenactment) it can take up to 15-20 minutes to strap and tie all the plate armour on. Even leather lamellar armour (which has been in use for a very,very long time even since viking era) takes about 5-7 mins for someone to tie all the straps up. Leather lamellar is also sometimes more effective the chainmail, but I like chainmail. Personal preference.

I hope the have chainmail, plate and lamellar armour in the game.

EDIT: I personally dont find that a gamebson and chainmail are TOO restricting when it comes movement, though I have worn some lamellar armour which I find more restricting (though unlike the gambeson and chain mail the lamellar was a friends and not made solely for me) and I have no idea about how restrictive plate armour is, thought from what my mates have told me its pretty dam restrictive. Walking and basic movements in gamebeson and chainmail don’t bother me too much (maybe because I am used to it now??) but once you start running or trying to do heavy lifting/strenuous activity then it restricting and very tiring. You need to be super fit to run for longer than twenty minutes in chain mail and a gambeson. With all my gear (weapons, armour and shield) i can only run around for about 20 minutes before i need to go back to walking. Anything longer and I need a rest period before i can swing my sword again lol

I’ve heard that plate armor is not that restrictive at all, so long as it’s actually tailored to you.

That would make sense and I could believe that. I’ve never had the chance to wear any unfortunately. But I will stick to my gambeson and chain mail, less protection but I can run faster/longer :stuck_out_tongue:

Ever tried walking or running in mail leggings? They are a nightmare compared to plate leg armor

I haven’t actually. I (and my fellow fighters) don’t wear chain leggings. Some of us like myself have hardened leather greaves and our mail and gambeson hang low enough to protect our upper legs.

We were something like this over the top of our trousers and that is the only leg protection we have.

I just stumbled across the work of the Master of the Trebon Altarpiece from 1380-1400 which is probably the most detailed and best preserved example of armour and weaponry in Bohemia at the time in which the game takes place (the piece can be visited in the Narodni Galerie in Prague today). The altarpiece displays the resurrection of Jesus Christ of course but the additional content in the piece like the soldiers were most likely contemporary which was quite usual at that time. They definitely don’t look like Roman soldiers. But have a look for yourself… :wink:

Another great source for contemporary armor and weaponry is the alterpiece of the Master of the Grudziądz, another Bohemian artist who was active at the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century. The following alterpiece was made for a castle of the Teutonic Knights in Grudziądz, Poland, and can today be visited in the National Museum of Warsaw. The altarpiece shows influences from the Master of the Trebon Altarpiece and the passion was probably painted by an artist from Lower Saxony, from the circle of Master Bertram.

As you can see a combination of plate and mail armour was probably quite usual at that time for soldiers with a wapenroc/sobrecot on top of it. For weapons, most soldiers wore a sword and a dagger at the belt and they used a polearm/spear as well.

what do those little ant lines represent?

I’m not a weapon or armour smith myself but I think they are simply ornaments. But maybe some real expert could shed some light on that… :wink:

Just my 2 cents: in the army days we regularily carried loads of about 40kg which unlike medieval armor was quite unevenly distributed. Mostly in your back and around the waist. I’m physically and athletically at best mediocre but I had no trouble at all getting up and moving with all that stuff in my back. Of course you cannot sprint for very long or fast, or change direction rapidly etc, but basically all basic movement was possible, and you could do that all day long after a couple of months of adaptation.

So it is easy to agree with the comments, that medieval armor did not probably restrict movement a lot in combat. Knights would have lived their whole lives training to carry that armor in combat and where probably physically quite fit.

1 Like

I like this pictures very much and they are showing armour around the time period of KDC. Lots of armour in motion.

Laurin Tournament 2011

Some more…
found no big authenticity blooper at a fast glance. So I really entrust those pictures to Warhorse for inspiration.

Laurin Tournament 2010

(Greetings from 1476 to the Elephants!)

1 Like

Love those pictures.