Bucklers are a must

Basically, if this game wants to correctly depict the time and place it wants to depict, bucklers should be inescapable, and yet from what I can tell there are none.

In essence, using pretty much any one-handed weapon on foot during this time period without anything in the offhand would’ve been rare, or even considered an outright bad idea. Therefore, everyone who carried a sword, a mace, an axe or anything like that probably should have at the very least a buckler too.
For example, there is no fencing manual documenting the use of an arming sword without a buckler or shield of some sort. It most likely just wasn’t considered a good idea. The closest thing to an exception would be some works about the Messer, but here we have to assume either that it was either covering a duel demanding identical weaponry, or some other rather specific context.
Messer and buckler is also covered in fencing manuals and was probably considered more far more effective than just having a Messer.

So who would’ve used a buckler?
Basically anyone with a one-handed weapon and no larger shield. Archers, polearm infantry, people just travelling from point A to point B, and so on. It was extremely popular.
The big advantage of the buckler is that it was convenient. You could carry it on your belt just like a sword without it being any hindrance to whatever else you are doing, and when you need it, you just grab it and you’re good to go.

tl;dr:
Sword and buckler is cool as hell, and was probably one of the most common weapon sets of the time. So where the hell are all the bucklers?

2 Likes

You mean something like these?

It could be a good idea I think

I dunno, maybe Warhorse couldn’t include them because of limited ressources. Maybe we’ll see them in a mod, or sequel, since bucklers were such a common item for soldiers.

I already asked a question about this in a Weekly Torch a while ago. I completely agree with you on the importance of bucklers in a medieval setting like this. But I was told that they would not be included, but maybe we will see them in the next game or a wonder happens and someone mods them into the game with proper animations.

Can you link to the source? …I find this interesting. They’ve already got a standard kite / heater style shield implemented, so why not the buckler as well :confused:

Obviously it would need slight variances in animations, and the impact zone is drastically reduced comparatively to the likes of a large kite or heater type shield. But still

Ah well, it’s like I doubt we’ll see any pavise’s in game, as there’s no crossbows. You win some you lose some :sweat_smile:

Apparently not enough time and technical problems prevented the implementation of bucklers.

Sword-and-buckler as a martial art had some fairly specific techniques, different to sword-and-shield, and I think it would be quite difficult to reasonably represent within the existing combat system.

I don’t believe there are any known treatises dealing with shields larger than a buckler, but what is in the game seems believable enough.

I thought the title of this topic was “Buckers are meat”. And I don’t believe I have ever agreed with a statement in my life more than I have agreed with that. It was such a unique feeling of belonging that I was nearly sent off of my feet. I am still shaking as I post this.

It is only a shame that I’m an idiot and that’s not what the title is at all, lol.