Can we... Betray our king?

I’m curious on if there will be the option to actually commit treason against our king! It would be interesting if a whole different game opens up when we pick between sticking with our king or betraying him to fight for the other king! Let me know everyone’s thoughts on this! Should it be a part of the game? Should it be a separate act, post act 3? Or would it just ruin the game in general?

6 Likes

then you are rebel or bandit and because there is thief option it’s maybe bossible, but who knows…

1 Like

Sounds good, but it’s just another too-high-hopes-wish. This game, or at east Act 1, can’t have everything that pledgers dreaming about so far.

Cross fingers for KCD huge success and maybe we will see this and much more in the future.

Well, as far as I know, Sigismund has burned your villiage, house and family, so it would be quite weird to team up with him…

2 Likes

I somehow doubt you’ll be able to do it as part of the main quest, but you’re free to just ignore the main quest and do other stuff if you want to. Freix has a point, though - you’re playing the story from Henry’s point of view. Whatever a modern person might think about the rights and wrongs of the situation, it’s unlikely that anyone is going to side with the guy who just burned down his home and killed his parents.

1 Like

Why would he burned “his own” village?

Huh? Because it’s not “his own” village? And because it’s what the whole story is about? “The new king’s brother, hungry for power (…) kidnaps the king, invading the country with an army of his own to plunder this defenseless land” - kickstarter quotation

That’s right - you can hear the lords discussing Sigismund’s attack in one of the livestream cutscenes. As for why he did it, presumably he was trying to get rid of any of the local nobility who might oppose him.

i don’t think he was trying to get rid of nobles, but causing chaos for the people under their charge and thus forcing them to side with sigismund so that he’ll stop the attacks. the nobility need the peasants for food and military service.

1 Like

This is a interesting possibility! Probably in other act (no in act I, II, or III)… seriously, this is a beau0tiful idea for whatever realistic game!

Well, according to what happend, it’s his village and will be for many years :slight_smile: Do not take dramatic description of the plot so serious :wink:

Hmm your claims doesn’t make much sense. In your previous post you denied that Sigismund burned down the hero’s villiage. I gave you a proof that he did and beside of that it was repeatedly said by Dan himself. Whether the plot description is too dramatic or Sigismund “owned” the villiage doesn’t really matter. And moreover, Sigismund was crownded as a czech king in 1420, 17 years after the game events, so his “ownership” of that villiage in the time when the game takes place is quiet questionable at least.

Cownded and ruled is two things. First is just a formality.

You mean like de jure and de facto?

I hope we will get the option to side with Sigismund, even though he’s the one responsible for the death of your parents and razing your village to the ground. Sure, it might make sense if Henry’s supposed to be vengeful. But since this is an RPG, you could alter Henry to actually see the benefits of supporting Sigismund, and he might turn out to be good for you in a different way than if you support Wenceslaus. Like one side you feel like you are doing the right thing but you might not get awarded or recognised in the same way as if you supported the other side. Like when Darth Vader tells Luke he’s his father, and he wants to share his power and empire with him. That is a very generous offer, but it’s not the right thing for Luke. What if Luke had joined the dark side? Ok, so I am not proposing that the situation is completely black and white in KC, it shouldn’t be. Wencel might be the “good guy”, but he’s a lazy king. Sigismund might be the “bad guy”, he burns down villages, but he might be a much better leader. Catch my drift?

Remember what Warhorse said in their combat update (I think it was there)-it’s not just you playing, but also Henry. They were talking about the combat system there, but if you think about it, while playing KCD, you’re not ‘you’ when playing, but Henry. WWHD-What Would Henry Do? Fact is, Henry has a master, who’s loyal to the king. At this stage he really has no choice but to follow where his master leads.

1 Like

luke would never side with the dark side because of who he is. enoroze makes a good point. what type of person henry is, ultimately decides what kinds of choices you will be able to make.

this isn’t mass effect where you’re essentially a blank slate.

that’s not to say the plot won’t allow a change of alliances, but it probably will be circumstance and plot based.

Most of the forces Sigismund was using were German and Hungarian mercenaries. The more loot they got on the way, the less he had to pay them at the end.

why would you be able to switch to the other king? He doesnt need some blacksmiths son in his army of mercenaries , so there would be no point in “betraying” the king. The game also has a legal system to handle you breaking laws.

1 Like

yes and for such a crime you’d be hung by your cock.