Character Customization?

I think you don’t realize that to play a role you don’t have to create it. I personally sometimes find the character creation in rpgs bit of a hassle. I want to start playing the game and before I start I am “forced” to give birth to new person (there are usually some ways to skip and some presets, but the presets are ugly and they don’t say anything of history and motivations).
I understand that you feel it is easier to play someone you create from scratch, but for me video game character is always an character I act out and it is easier for me not to invent him/her and his/hers motivations from scratch. I have enough problems with creating myself and acting like an almost average human being.

Well as much as I try, I just can’t stop thinking that calling the main character “Henry” suck ass.

For example, I can understand that Chinese students abroad take Western nicknames to make it easier for their classmates. But if I were to play a game from 15th century China where the main char would be Henry… blah.

I just hope I will be able to suppress this feeling and that it won’t be breaking the immersion for me every time I hear it.

1 Like

On the other hand … i can’t imagine how rest of the world pronoucing the name “Jindřich”. I would love to see that.

If its much easier for motion capture/lip synchronization to have a predefined face I can understand warhorse, maybe there are also other things that play a role in there, idk.
I also understand that it is better when the name is synchronized, too but I have a question here:
I could live with the german Heinrich instead of Henry in the german version of the game (Czech version could be Jindřich) So is Henry going to be “Henry” in all language versions?

The main question is if its better to

1. set a name and a face (would probably be better for synchronizing)
  2. set a name and you can customize the face (would be better than everything set imo)
  3. set a face and you can choose the name (maybe a problem with lip synchronizing but it would be more personal; name cannot be synchronized)
  4. player is free to set an own name and face

I’d like to hear a developer on that cause its a pretty important topic. And I dont know all things that come with these options.

If Warhorse thinks its better with name and face set they should bring arguments for it, I could live with it when the arguments are plausible

They already have. One of them was that they want the hero to be called by his name and not just the usual “hey you…”.

thats what I meant with name synchronizing

then you answered your own question.

No I did not.
looks like freix and you didnt read my posting or havent understood.

The more effort it takes the more you appreciate the outcome… unless it would be too difficult, which is not the case - it is just a single name (even if you are unable to pronounce Ř, it would be close enough and help immersion).

1. speech and face sync
  2. immersion, no mutant faces with silly names
  3. WH vision, story is about this Henry with this look and nobody else

And that’s probably it. WH don’t need to bring more arguments or justified their angle of view at all, it’s their game. Preset face and name was known from the beginning, you pledged for it.

Let me tell you a secret: Currently face and name of the main character are placeholders. We don’t know anything about the female character, so what we’ve seen so far is not set in stone.

Let me tell you another secret. It doesn’t matter at all, clearly it will be one face and one name and that’s what we are talking about.

Okay… ummm… wait, how about this:

So you might be able to at least adjust the face to some degree. I just don’t know how soon this presented technology is going to production.

Sure I pledged for it because its awesome
But It would be nice to see why warhorse thinks its better with name/face set or if you could change the face maybe. We dont know if its a final decision. And to let people know why they did so can only help warhorse cause people may understand the arguments and see why its better like this. And I dont know all the things coming with this or that decision so I asked for an experts opinion
I think the best option would be name set (but heinrich in the german version) and you can adjust the face. That would be a compromise.

Man Czech is so radically different from German. I always imagined it would be more alike.
How would you pronounce that name?

Hmm if you are German than i would transcribe “Jindřich” for you like “Jendrzech”. It contains one of our more difficult phonemes,

You are not mistaken that Czech has lot in common with German, but it is in different ways than you would imagine. It belongs to completely different language family (similar to difference between German and French) so most words are different, the stress and sentence structure is also different. What is similar are idiomatic phrases and lot of things can be translated from German to Czech (and vice versa) word for word without sounding out of place. This is something you won’t be able to notice until you know both languages fairly well and I suspect that you need to know at least one other language to realize how odd this is.

Swamp German.

It’s amazing though that even though Bohemia was part of the HRE that they kept their own language for so long.

that video has nothing to do with adjusting faces. from what i can tell and see, it just means switching bone names around. the dog still needs to have those facial bones available.

also, adjusting face is already possible, it just looks terrible. from a q/a, resource management, time management perspective, completely better to use one face.

In some way it does if you would take your time and think about it.

Usually you would mocap all faces individually to get the most realistic animation of faces. With this technology no matter how the structure of the target face is, the source can be still the same without running into visible glitches and abnormal facial gestures. You can more easily transform the original face mocap to other faces.

Therefore this would make it possible to allow changes on the faces without worrying too much about facial animations.

Could you explain that some more? Sometimes I really wish you would add more details to what you’re writing about and what this is referring to.