Characters names

Maybe it’s not urgent question but I wanna know if with final version subs also characters name will be translate in latin Language because for italian, spanish, french and maybe english people it’s and it will be very difficult to read and to remember this cech names .
Thx for answering.

There is a dedicated thred for this here. People seem to prefer to keep the slavic names. So they are there for now and we will see the reactions :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Keep them. Gentleman, have respect for each others’ names. It’s no problem if someone can’t pronounce a name properly, it’s a problem when he calls him a totally different name instead. Neither do I call the english “John” as “János”. :smiley: Nor do I ask for something like that in a game set in London.

4 Likes

So is it possible that Henry became Jindřich?

6 Likes

I always respect other name and culture. I haven’t ask to change characters names but I’ve suggested only to translate them in latin language only for latin Language subs.
Sorry for questioning then… :relieved:

Community just approved slavic names!!

Mr. Vochcalpádlo and Mr. Skočdopole welcome into our world!

To make the joke clear, these existing names literary mean: 
Vochcalpádlo = Pissed-on-the-paddle
Skočdopole = Jump-into-the-field
3 Likes

There is no need to be sorry, your request is just as legit and appropriate as my opinion. : )

3 Likes

I definetly Aggree. I’m Czech but even for us the “old-czech” is very different from the modern one. And the sounds of the villages sounds very strange and weird even for us. In Enlgish or another language it would be just a clusterfuck name, that nobody can even try to pronounce and sounds nowhere near good. That’s the issue to our specific language tho. And we use sounds and vowels no other language uses in this manner. And as such, I would definetly made a toogle. And voice acted both versions. If people want slavic names, fine. Give them the option, but for the love of everything Holy, don’t force Slavic names people who will play it in English.

Because it just won’t sound good in English. I’m sory slavic name purists, but it won’t. Having those names in Czech would just be pain in the ass for the let’s players, and anyone who tries to present it in front of audience and isn’t Czech at the same time.

1 Like

I would like to keep with the slavic names, it fits really good into the setting. But the names should be pronounced clearly, this would make it more easy.

yeah the names are native american-esque. some of them are named after animals.

but for names that have latin counterparts, i guess it wouldn’t matter to use the most common.

Thx for @gladix he understood me. It’s not simply question of sound, for most (every) european latin languages cech language have lot of simbols and accent that we don’t know not even how to use. Same thing if I wanna try to read german words.

Well to be anal about it, all the current Czech names in the game are translations too - from old Czech to the modern one. There was no “Jindřich” in 14th century Bohemia. I can’t even guess how would the 14th century version look like, probably something like “Gyndrzyh” or some such. And “Zbyšek” would probably be “Sbyschek”? Hell even Jan Žižka was " Schysska".

I don’t see any reason whatsoever to keep the names translated to modern Czech in the Eglish version. Might as well translate it to Henry etc.

I know that but I still see a big defference.

Yeah. For this reason alone the proper profesionall English voice acter’s probably won’t even try to pronounce the Czech locations. Or some more specific Czech names. Warhorse will probably just change them so they seem more natural to English speaking people.

1 Like