Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

Awesome, can’t wait!

I hope it will contain how to achive all combat effects after succesful parry:

• several consecutive hits with hilt
  • hitting enemy face with the tip of the sword
  • kicking/pushinng enemy
  • pressing sword on the chest of an enemy and puhing him away

And simply every possible effect achievable. It drives me crazy that I do things that I dont know how I did.

And I was still not able to replicate combo: stab + slash from left + any slash; to get my enemy on his back. Damn it all.

all I can say is keep trying, sometimes it works for me sometimes it does not.

its all about the timing.

I have noticed that if my initial stabbed is parried the combo will always fail. I have had it worked when the stab was blocked but Idk if it was a bug or not.

Another factor is making sure you have sufficient stamina, the video above begins with me back stepping because I needed to refill my stamina and try again.

Im going to start practicing with a mouse now see what I can get accomplished.

I understand it is intended to work when the opponent is blocking. It is mentioned in the tutorial that the final strike of a combo will surpass the block. Combos exist mainly to be able to break through opponent’s blocking.
Although, if your opponent blocks 3+ strikes, they are pretty much out of stamina anyway. But landing that final strike causes that much more stamina/health damage, so it pays off.

I still have to learn to properly respond if any of my combo strikes get parried. I usually miss my counter-parry if I’m attempting to perform a combo.

Counter parry’s still haunt my nightmares, every time I get lucky and counter the counter of my counter the enemy 1 ups me and counters again.

Ah, so this was you, @Perry! ^^

This.
Actually combo will fail if any of “normal” strike gets parried or dodged (normal block or hit is fine). The final “special” strike cannot be parried or even blocked though.

1 Like

This makes sense and is relief to know.

Would have been upsetting if combos worked like Mortal combat, where they are unstoppable once began.

Can it be dodged, though?

in tutorial i belive, it is said that combo cannot be dodged.

1 Like

Yeah I agree! I have my topic about this kind of blocking. Check it out if you want.

I’m not saying KDC is not good, is the best fighting system I’ve seen in a game.

I’m just sad that the moves they motion captured and showed are looking more like stage combat.

I also agree that player should adapt to fighting armored opponent, but i dont see any halfswording or armored techniques implemented yet.

1 Like

Here is an example of halfswording (at 0:25):

Just because we cannot use it yet, doesn’t mean it’s not being implemented.

grabbing your blade doesn’t always mean half-swording :slight_smile: at least halfswording in the sense of an armoured combat fencing. The move in the video makes little sense in that kind of position the attacker and defender are at. BTW it was clear from the early video updates WH made on combat that the “swordsmen” they mo-captured were stage fencers and did not even attempt to do any fechtbucher fencing.

For unarmored fencing, I think KCD stage moves are OK and the combat is fun. But this bashing into full plate shoulders and helmets with the weak of your sword is close to being ridiculous…

1 Like

And it does next to nothing to them if you’ve played the alpha you know how hard they are to take down.

They only take a couple of hits each with low stamina, you need to drain their stamina and then attack. Attacking while they still have stamina will not damage them same for you, you wont die as long as stamina is still in good standing.

for armored opponents, you would probably use a hammer or mace, and the contacts would obviously make more sense. with swords, they could probably add a few moves for the grappling range relating to armored fighting, but for now, it looks just fine. i think the halfswording in the above video is also optimally done, he swiped the sword away and stabbed the player in the chest. i’m not seeing the positional issue.

for me it is totally luck to win a sword fight… i’m to stupid for it! :astonished:

1 Like

The move in the video would be executed as a “finishing touch”, when the opponent is leaning forwards or backwards after being dragged. Then you stab with the point into armour’s opening. Thanks to your left halfswording hand, you have great precision and superior leverage. Hammers and maces are nice, surely, but longsword can be pretty effective too if used well. When you see an opening in defence, you would strike with long stretched arms holding the sword in reverse, ie. striking with the pommel as if it was hammerhead (so called mortschlag). Aiming for the head from above, obviously.

I sincerely hope WH will try to make sense out of armoured combat. It is still easy to take down advanced fighter with just pure bashing. Id like to see bashing into anything else but head has literally no effect on both health and stamina and the only way to put full plate hors combat is either mace weapon, mortschlag with longsword, or stabbing with sword or dagger when on ground after wrestling. It is what WH promised anyway :wink:

1 Like