Combat "Discussion" - Dev Spotted

The first mount and blade released in 2007. The one everyone loves, Warband, in 2010… Don’t get me wrong, I love M&B, but its combat system isn’t perfect. It’s stiff and clunky, as well as poorly animated. It takes no consideration for fatigue, foot work, and many other variables. A lot of the combat boils down to spamming side attacks until a shield breaks.
It also offers a limited amount of freedom in terms of sword strike angles. Again, love that series, but its combat system was/is only great because no one else has tried to do it any better.Chivalry tried, I guess… but it pretty much defaulted into trying to copy its systems and failed to fix its faults.
M&B II is looking to better itself in every way, but we’ll see. If they just do what they’ve been doing for 8 years and rehash the same formula and don’t make improvements, it will flop. The community wants more.

I’m not arguing that Kingdom Comes combat is perfect. It IS clunky, but it’s also still in development. I do, on a small level, agree with your sentiments.

I was able to parry and dodge reliably after about 40 minutes of play. I love combat, enjoying it immensely.
The only thing that should be fixed ASAP is the aiming point for your sword - it should not be pinned to your enemy, it should always be in the centre of your screen. When enemy moves you can’t control your swings :frowning:

5 Likes

The combat is too slow. The visuell fighting expierence is not realistic. The players models are bad (Can look in his hands) the camera angle is false (head dont follow his moves)the speed and animations are not fluid and the field of view is to small. There are orientation issues and nobody know what the player exactly is doing. I read many youtube videos and much people say that they dont buy the game because the combat system dont look realistic. Make a ultra hard game but bring us the realistic fight on our screens. The immersion isnt better than skyrim now. Please give us a realistic pferfect visual Immersion. Not a simulator with bad immersion.

4 Likes

what’s unrealistic about it? Be more specific if you want the game to evolve please.

The people saying the combat isn’t realistic are the some delusional people who think M&B has the most realistic combat and that all other games should follow its example. The only real issues i have with the combat right now, is how long it takes to kill people, and how inconsistent blocking is. I’m not going to complain about it being clunky because i know it’s an early build still.

1 Like

Let’s start with the lock on. Your character is locked unto a specific target. If you try to attack the next target, or switch most of the time the lock on remains. I agree with badass 4 that the orientation is poor.
Furthermore, kicks are almost impossible to time well. There are a tons of other things wrong with it, but hell, I’ll wait till the first previews of the beta release and they will speak for me. I’m sure that in this state, the combat system will be the end of this game

1 Like

That’s still being worked on.

1 Like

Jesus christ calm your horses bro…

Game is probably atleast half a year from release right now, there is so many things that can and will be changed and improved… I am sure that combat will be one of the main prioritis as it is big selling point.
Whats important is that the basis is good and can be built upon. This system is capable of simulating feints, blocks, parries, combination attacks and tricks, halfswording techniques, wrestle techniques, different weapons, it cares about positioning and timing and all that while incorporating RPG elements.
Just tweaking timing and field of view and animations can do wonders here.

5 Likes

I discribed the visual points which let me feel the fight is not real.

M&B Is a fast paced 3rd person spamfest, stop comparing it to KC. I know MB has first person, but if you want to have any advantage you will have to play in 3rd.

Chivalry and Mordhau are better comparisons to KC, and both of those games aced melee combat. It’s not realistic but no one is complaining. Real life is boring and unfair, games need to be fun and balanced. This is why there is a lack of realistic games on the market.

I’m not a fan of how every combat encounter in KC seems more like an organized duel than an actual fight, though. Disclaimer: I haven’t played it. I find it jarring that during a huge melee battle two people are going to have time to take a 9 minute slow and fair duel against eachother without anyone interfering or taking cheap shots.

Thats it, it more feels like a simulated duel. Sometimes it feels like a turn-based fight because it is to slow and reaction are bad. Need more critical moves with better feedback. We need faster and wIlder animation which everybody can comprehe. The player can not see what henry is doing now. The fighting expierence is weak.

1 Like

Yes, I agree on that - it fells like you’re in a organised duel, you justy can’t backstab someone in the middle of a free-for-all fight.

While I love the music, the forest (the forest in this game is likely the best in-game forest that I have ever seen in my life) and the overall feel of the game. The combat sucks, badly. The directional star is waaaay to sensitive, and I can’t properly select which direction I am going to hit, as my sloooow movement of the mouse to the right brings about the directional starpocalypse with red indicator jumping all over the place. As a result the combat feels like a mess. Same goes with blocking - I press Q at the last possible moment, and what worked fine in training does not translate at all even against the “beginner” NPC. This needs to be re-done/streamlines, or else that’s a pretty big gamebreaker.

2 Likes

Look guise, it was pretty obvious combat would divide the players big time. They advertised since the get go it’s NOT gonna be business as usual, that it’ll be complex and hard and authentic.

Truth be told, I’m not excited about the combat either but I don’t like complicated combat in general. Mass Effect is about as much combat complexity as I can handle. But that’s exactly why you have alternative game modes - a stealthy stabby guy and a talky diplomat. So what exactly is the problem again?

1 Like

OK so after playing some more and fighting both a pair of cumans I ran across in the forest and the group that comes to kill the guy in the cave, I’ve come to some conclusions. Combos DO work, but that star system is incredibly sensitive. Hitting the opponent as many times as possible and then stepping back is by far the best method to fight. Any attempt in either fight to either dodge or parry ALWAYS resulted in me getting killed because if I let even a single hit in, it turned into a flurry of blows that knocked my health off by half. Is directional input required for blocking? The tutorial makes it seem like q (which i mapped to a macro on my mouse) is a catch all command. In the tutorial at least just holding q blocked every blow. Every attack animation has an initial “jerk” to it that signals the attack is coming, during the tutorial this seemed to be the best moment to hit either a move or block key, but it just NEVER worked outside of that except for an occasional fluke where the parry caught even me by surprise and by the time I realized what was happening, it was over and the moment wasted.

I am NOT saying combat is too hard. I’m saying that I do not believe it is functioning as intended. I love the concept, it is M&B on steroid and will be amazing once all the animations flow into each other fluidly. But as is, I found no use for either block/parry, dodge, or even stab because the best method by far is to simply spam that combo star and then back out. But that doesn’t make it very fun or challanging though, just repetitive.

The target lock definitely needs to go. It feels impractical and klunky at best.
Also, the time it takes to kill enemies in combat, especially this example:

Saved in the stone quarry, followed the path, fought a cuman that ambushed me. The duel took ages until I finally bit the dust.

Loaded the savegame, knew the guy was coming, slashed at him multiple times before the combat lock on could engage, killed him with three strokes.

Why is there such a difference between time to kill?

I noticed this as well with the trio from the cave. Even one in some armor fell quickly if you could get hits in before the star had activated.

How would you change direction of attacks if you wouldn’t be locket to the target?

Press LMB to issue an attack and then move the mouse to change direction of the attack. Pretty simple actually.

2 Likes

Same way you do in MB, you hold your mouse down and drag in the direction you want to pull back, when you let go the swing happens.