Combat Scars: an "involuntary customization"

I was thinking it would be cool if, after receiving a particularly strong blow in combat (something that nearly kills our guy) a nasty scar could appear on his face or body, thus influencing the way people react to him (they may be firghtened because they think you are some kind of thug or they might respect you more for your battle-hardened-knight look, depending on who you are talking to) a bit like in the Fable series. This scars could be seen in cutscenes and when you open the inventory and they should not occur too often.
The intensity, size and position of the scars should vary depending on the specific strike that caused them and you could even seek some healer who would send you out on a mini-quest to collect herbs for preparing some salve to make them disappear or look less bad.
In my opinion this would add a nice “accidental personalization” aspect that would make every character even more unique and could be an easy-to-add feature that helps players to immerse themselves even more in the game world.
What about it @warhorse ?

7 Likes

Interesting idea… but then you could be full of scars veeeeeeeery fast! :D… A walking scar!

3 Likes

I like it. I`m personally more excited about nasty cuts that would lead to the scars though.

Considering that the game takes place in 3-4 month’s time, if that should be done realistically, the scars wouldn’t heal properly during the play time.

2 Likes

That completely depends on the size ive seen people who scarred within under a month of having a serious injury and it was a huge scar that went the length of the their entire upper body.

Did they hide in woods with no access to antibiotics or were they treated with the most modern medicine by educated and experienced staff?

The scar was from surgery so i suppose you do have a point there but I’ve had plenty of scars before that i never went to the doctor over and they scarred in about month or less.

Im pretty sure antibiotics don’t make you scar faster though they just keep you from getting infected. So if you get slashed on your arm and someone stitches you up surely you would scar pretty quickly.

Yes I had thought of that, in fact I suggested that it should not happen very often that you get scarred, and you could cure some of them anyway…

Cure scars away? Really? How does that work?

Not properly cure, just make them barely noticeable…I think that is possible, isn’t it?

With modern medicine you can get reconstruction surgery of course but in the 1400s i doubt they had this so you would have carried a scar with you your whole life. :sunny:

True that…but some kind of home-made remedy to, say, alter skin colour in a specific spot, or reduce the thickening of tissues…I really don’t know if there was something like it, I admit :laughing: , that just seems likely to me…I mean they had their “science of medicine” too, even if that was nothing compared to nowadays standards

Yeah. Mixing chicken shit with dog saliva, five drops of virgin menstrual blood and three pieces of charcoal should do the trick.

1 Like

I am chilled, just having fun :smiley:

Alright sorry…anyway, aside from realism, I think a simple stupid thing like receiving a couple scars in your life would make it feel more “real”

nothing better than to have bandages and other signs of remedy after fighting. those medicinal salves would go well with a tonic

2 Likes

It would be nice if wounds should be treated and healed. And it would be even better if they result in scars. +1

1 Like

Turns out this game will be so realistic, that you’ll have to wait three months for an MRI scan, and hospitals barely have the money to buy bandages. :smiley:

Hell, where do you come from? Sounds like Ukrainian front line. I am happy the Czech health care system doesn’t suffer from this.

1 Like