Combat tips for newbie?

So I’ve just bought the game, and I’m absolutely awful at the combat system. I’ve been starting a new game repeatedly (since I run out of money quickly) and running to the camp to spar. Even the beginner level fighter seems extremely hard, I always get parried and die in 3-4 hits. Am I missing something fundamental here? I like playing challenging games but the combat seems very sluggish to me which messes with my reaction time a lot. Any advice would be great. Also is there any way to quickly get money without have to start a new game and run back to the camp?

I should add I’ve tried both KB&M and controller. Mouse controls felt very difficult when you’re moving around and with controller the locked aim system seems to break sometimes so I just turn around and cop a sword in the back.

From my experience, you simply cannot beat anyone in the arena. You have to push them out of the entrance which ends the fight with victory for you.

But if you’re really keen on fighting your way through it, spam the f**k out of left clicking and Q. You’ll either hit, block or parry constantly at the cost of losing all your stamina for the whole fight. However, don’t try this with the Knight (Very Advanced) as he can dodge all attacks, takes no damage wherever you hit him and can hit you even if you’re blocking. So with him, get him out of the arena as fast as possible since inside he’s actually pretty OP.

Hello @nostro,

welcome to our community.

Yes, since Alpha 0.51 is it extrem difficulty to win the arena, no matter which fighter you choose. I would say it´s a bug. :slightly_smiling:

I start the game by nailing Jerry, getting the bailiff’s keys back, finding the blacksmiths hammer, and getting the missing deed back for Ludmilla (and taking the 100 groshen reward). At night I pick the lock on the shopkeepers chest in Samopesh and steal the 25 groshen. In the morning when they’ve left I take the sword from the farmer’s chest in Samopesh. Then I head for the arena. Yes, the opponents are really tough. But if you are patient and take multiple lessons from the master, you can build up some stats. Also goto the abandoned shooting range and buy a bow and all the guys arrows. Steal the eyebright and st. john’s wort and make a bunch of archers potions. Go back to the camp during the day and shoot matches like crazy. Eventually you’ll start leveling up and your archery skills will get a LOT better (along with level and strength). You’ll need to spend several day/night cycles doing this. Go back to the shop keeper’s chest for more $$$, johns wort, and eyebright. Talk to Lesek at the tavern and hint that his tent is being searched. When he lights out to check if his $$$ is ok follow him. Raid his hiding place daily. This will give you working capital of about 55 groshen each day. Once you start winning archery, build up the $$$ then go over to the arena. Fighting in the arena is a lot more costly than archery (though lessons are reasonable). Sometimes in the arena Henry seems to start with sword drawn. But other times he starts with it sheathed. Look carefully and make sure your sword is drawn before you try to block/parry! Keep with it. You’ll need to build up Henry’s stats before you’ll be able to fight or shoot effectively. That means DON’T start new games all the time. That will put you back to ground zero for strength and skills. I finally got so I can win in the arena some of the time and make the other guy work at it when I lose. Just my (probably way more than) $.02 worth.

2 Likes

You definitiely know, how to make money… Fighting is not that hard, you just have to get used to it AND even afterwards… fighting will be a risk… I think, that is the intention of the game. You are not the heroe, that can win every fight.
I usually go to the arena once I have got some money. Then I just speak to the swordmaster and take his course several times… at least 4 or 5 times!!! Afterwards I try the beginner.
By taking the swordmasters course several times you will get a feeling for the right timing of attacks, pushing your opponent away or parying his attacks. AND… your stats get better, improving your in-game capabilities.
But there also seems to be a bug. I can only defeat the beginner once. Afterwards I might realy beat him up, but he doesn’t “die”. So quit and restart, then it works… :wink:

Hope this helps…

Speaking of fighting… In real fights your stats improve much faster, than in the training… even if you loose, you get better. You can also fight against the Cumans in the north-east corner of the map or ambush soldiers… :wink: but if you loose in those fights… well… then you ARE dead…

Try to practice until you will “perfect block” most of the time (i.e. the block when time slows) that is generally good time to take initiative and counter attack. Unless you fight Knight as he will perfect block your counter attack often.
Mostly I came fast close to the opponent with block (Q pressed) untill we start “push over”. Then I attack right after I push him.
I almost never try slash but merely thrust and aim for the head.

Thanks for all the great replies! I’m hoping they tweak it a bit, but for now I suppose I’ll just keep practicing with these tips in mind.

And if you need more groshens then try alchemy and create Antidote. It sells for 100+ groshen as far I remember. More groshens you have = more times you can enter training mode in arena.

Problem is, that no shop owns 100+ Groschen…

Well you can still trade 100+ groshen potion for items with lesser value and then sell them for groshens.

That is strange because some of you seems to have big problem with combat but i think its OK.
First two opponents in the arena are easy but guy with plate armor is really hard that is true.
But for example I have no problem to kill all soldiers in Kolben estate (mostly 4 on me).