Combos not working?

Maybe your timing is off? You can always go practice combos with Captain Bernard to get a feel for it.

My time was off… I just discovered I was pressing way too soon.

I guess my reflexes are super sensitive because I always try to get perfect parries but in order to do combos you have to start next sequence right after the blow lands.

Thanks though :wink:

2 Likes

So having problems with combos again…

How exactly are you SUPPOSE to time them? I know when I fail the timing, Bernard attempts to say something but he stops after saying like half a world. I’d really like to here what he is saying because it would probably be good feedback on what I’m doing wrong…

I guess it’s hard to train with Bernard because he’s a really good fighter, and it’s harder to train against regular enemies hell even well equipped enemies because I’m using Heavy Swing, Brute, and Savage perks I literally kill most enemies even guys in full plate in 1-2 hits.

Could anyone here give me some feedback on combos?

EDIT - It would be nice if we had training dummies that we could practice them on but remove the exp gain so it’s not a busted unlimited leveling feature.

You must choose the correct direction! (Look well the direction in abilità tab)

I am looking at the directions. I mean it’s not necessarily rocket science – it’s just the game unfortunately isn’t thorough enough with the tutorials.

I have no direct way to train the timing of my strikes because it all depends on your opponents not perfect blocking or enemies dying in 1-2 shots.

I hope this will help, it’s a basic tutorial on combos, but I’m working on a more advanced one, with timings and such, which will hopefully be uploaded later today, if I manage to make my game work again.

Hi I watched your videos and I thought they had excellent information in them.

Do you have to train and learn combos with Bernard as soon as you finish up your investigation at the horse farm in order to execute them ? You’re unable to perfect parry or dodge before you do your basic training with him as soon as you are in Rattay so do you have to receive combo training before you can actually execute them ? Would be nice to get a dev response on this matter since you have to do main quest to perfect block and dodge.

I’m to the point in the game currently where I kill everything in 1-2 shots. And it’s hard to train with Bernard because he’s always parrying. Woild be nice if we had a training mode where he was just a sponge so I can practice timing of strikes.

"I’m to the point in the game currently where I kill everything in 1-2 shots. And it’s hard to train with Bernard because he’s always parrying."
This. Does it get better with higher warfare skill? I am 45 hours in and still cant land a single combo on him.

I have exactly the same problem. I played the game 42 hours now and can’t do one single combo… and YES I use the right wepon + the right directions… but it never works and noone in the game explain how you suppose to use them. Even if my opponent don’t block and I do the combo, nothing happen. It’s a little bit sad. The only combo that works for me is perfect block.

I got a tip from other thread. In order to land a combo try doing riposte first. In order to riposte you have to perform perfect block, but it has to be even faster. Try pressing block as soon as enemy starts the swing even before you see green shield icon.

If you manage to do riposte and knockback opponent with it you can follow up with free hit almost 100% of time making combos easier to land.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The other way how to do combos is to feint first hit by holding attack key, quickly change of direction and release. But this method proved to be much harder to pull off in my case.

Combos are a bit wild atm, they all do work I can confirm that as I slowed down the game to about 50% speed and pulled all of them off, however the timing for them has to be pitch perfect, best case knock your enemy back before starting one or wait until a modder gets his hands onto the timing scripts and extends them enough so that youre able to pull the combos off in more time.

You can do combos at will, it’s not necessary to do riposte or feint.

They’;re easy to pull of as they are now, you just need practice.

It’s nearly impossible to land a combo on Bernard so question begs. How do I practise combos when i kill everyone in 2 hits anyways?

I just need go practice my timing and I’ll be fine.

I feel like armor needs a buff on enemies. There is no way in hell you’ll probably ever land off most complex Longsword combo on an opponent late game , because they will die 1-3 shots or mostly likely perfect block one of the 5 strikes.

I really hope Warhorse has plans to tweak the combat system further to make it more robust and fluid. I feel like armored opponents need to be harder to kill and perfect blocks should be harder foe player and npcs.

I don’t think it makes sense to 1-3 shot someone in full plate and plate helm with a Longsword.

So in the mean time I’m using a weaker weapon deliberately !

https://youtu.be/dZUW11V1sFo?t=75 here is an example of me pulling of 3 combos

That is why I bought the worst possible longsword in the game and now the fights last longer!

Were you able to do combos prior to training with Bernard after the horse farm investigation ?

Can anyone here confirm yoy can do combos prior to him teaching you combos ?

Also doesn’t he teach you a combo for completing his combo training ?

I’m trying to see if there is a bug here or not – since you can’t do a perfect block or dodge until you do basic training with him at Rattay!!

Isn’t purposely buying bad weapon in order to enjoy the combat kinda defeating the point of rpg progression? I mean enemies can be killed off way too easily which may be realistic but it turns combat into 1-2 second long encounters.

1 Like

Yes and no. I’m just to the point where my stats and strength is so high that I’m killing people in full plate wkeith 2-3 strikes. That’s not realistic nor challenging.

Plus I’d like to be able to pull of that 5 chain stroke combo, but if everything dies in 1-3 hits you’ll never get to see it. Plus it’s a higher level sword perk – it seems counter intuitive to have some a complex technique available at the point in the game where you kill people in just a few strikes.

People can’t even block and stay alive. With Herods Sword and Savage, Brute , Heavy Swing perks I’m breaking through all blocks. My Slash damage is like 100+. I’m literally exceeding every defense stat. I think WH needs to adjust this, I shouldn’t be able to destroy full plate enemies in a few strikes unless I obviously hit a weak spot in armor.

2 Likes