Coop a must for next acts

Coop in the cooperative arcade arena mode? Hell yes! If it gets unlocked of course :slight_smile:
Coop in the story line? Hell no!

Cooperative gameplay hasn’t to be all about story at all because the protagonist is already the smith with his story. The cooperative player could be your husband, or your wife, one of your children maybe or just your friend. And because you know that person you don’t have to focus much upon things like “Will this person go crazy in my world or not” or “Oh my
 another player I don’t know at all” It would just be an great option for families and friends to enjoy a great game together instead playing alone. There have been some rpg games which supported the cooperative gameplay and have the host meet all decisions and noone had any problems with that. If you want to go for a coop way like in Divinity Original Sins than you just have to opinions and the game decides which one to choose
 not much a problem at all too.

But yes
 a game doesn’t have to be cooperative to be great
 but it would help a lot to enjoy the game even more. So if there will be the possibility in act 2, 3 or maybe as an DLC the developer should make it possible if it doesn’t concerns other game elements negativily.

And you shouldn’t blame people who are giving good ideas for the developer just because you don’t want something in the game. If it would work this way no game will ever be made because everyone would have to complain of some game elements.

And as the developer already said in this forum. We are a community and should give the developer our opinions and this is just people do.

(sorry for mistakes in language, I am not a native English speaker :sunny:)

3 Likes

I don’t think so. There is a reason why there are games for many different tastes and situations. Co-op can be a fine experience but so can SP.

Why is that? I understand some games are designed to function better when teaming up with a friend, but this game does not look like it’s meant to work that way.

Games like Borderlands or Left 4 Dead work with others because of how they’re set up. Can you imagine GTAV being the same if three people could play Michael, Franklin and Trevor all at once? It would probably be fun, but it’s not built to work that way because of how the game was designed.

In this game, the story mode is specifically about one person. I don’t see how coop would improve it, or account for anything the other person is doing. You can’t have two main characters running around at once, so the coop person would have to be secondary in some way. Then, how do you reward whatever they do? How does it benefit them in their own version of the game?

i could think of a finer experience besides an annoying guy following you around chatting with you about the superbowl. coop in a nut shell.

I think they should just focus on making single player truly amazing.

1 Like

Then you shouldn’t play with that kind of people. I am pretty sure that the world has some extremely good roleplayers to offer which enhance everday in your life
 at least when you are a roleplayer for yourself.

I guess that the most of us are a little bit older than 20 years and have experienced real roleplaying via Pen & Paper and it is always a good thing if you could enjoy that in a pc game as well.

But yes
 if you play with the wrong people it will be annoying so choose wisely.

@ Whiteyk: The developer already mentioned that they will focus on their single player game first but if there will be time and money left
 why not build in a cooperative game mode for friends? Noone would loose thing to it :smiley:

4 Likes

i’m pretty sure most people play coop so they can interact and chat with another player. i mean isn’t that what it boils down to? sure, he might not be annoying, and he might not chat about the superbowl. but if that is the case, what’s the point of a silent player when i can just have an ai companion who can at least have scenario appropriate dialog, and who’s less prone to human capriciousness?

I’m kind of a fence sitter on this issue. I’m the kind a person who likes to duck into every corner and check every nook and cranny when gaming. Although I have done co-op with some people who play exactly the same way and we can game together not necessarily even holding conversations, I have also gamed with some who feel the sole purpose is to get through it as quickly as possible (which can be incredibly irritating!). Then there is the inevitable “are we playing in my game or yours?”

While I certainly won’t be disappointed if eventually there is co-op of some kind, I’m more looking forward to experiencing the game on my own and then comparing it to the experience of others afterward. Won’t mind some type of tournament ladder (even if my permanent spot would be at the bottom, lol)

1 Like

my thoughts on this co-op thing:

The developers state you can recruit or fight along allies (quest specific NPCs). What if a friend (2nd player) just jumps in the game and controls such an NPC? This would avoid conflicts with the story and the rest of the world. Also, it wouldn’t be much work to implement opposed to co-op specific missions and redesigning dialogue and so on as mentioned earlier.

For example the bandit fort mission (mentioned under ‘quests’: “lay siege to a bandit fort with an army at your back”). Instead of AI controlled allies, your friend(s) could drop in and slip into that role(s). How much friends could join is of course depending on how many allies are with you in this specific mission because what they basically do is replacing the AI guys.

4 Likes

No, thanks. I’ll pass.

1 Like

Coop is a good idea I think buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut a game that is made as a single player experience would be ruined by that it should be a single player experience. But that saying as I said it is a good idea it would take ages coding it in but be kinnda cool. hard to explain because would be cool on like a 30 man plus or minus bases but the fact its single player. Just DON’T want that studder lag look to the game as it allready looks good from what we can tell of the vids and thats not even the final product.

Coop in the form of if I do have a friend I want to play with, I can play with him. Not like joining a public server or gamelobby and find random assholes and whatnot. More like, hosting your own private server and only have a friend or two join when you send them invitations, and then speak to them over Skype and whatnot. I don’t see how that would take you out of the immersion and roleplaying - don’t play with friends who ruin it for you. If you don’t have friends for whatever reason, you won’t even notice, your experience will be purely singleplayer and storybased. I personally don’t think coop should follow story because that can be hard to make feel genuine. It should more be like
 sparring, tournament, freeroam and enjoy the world, perhaps even a battle.

1 Like

So anyone you play with is either annoying or silent? I’m sure a great deal of players enjoy playing with someone else, and talking with them about what’s happening in the game or anything else for that matter. If you can’t find any people you enjoy playing with, then I could see why you wouldn’t think co-op is necessary. But I would love to play this game alongside a friend, as I think it would make the game much more dynamic and interesting.

1 Like

Co-op and PvP increases replay value a lot more than a good single player experience can. Human players will use tricks and techniques that AI will not. This adds a huge amount of variability to the game.

Players can still play through single player to make the most out of the immersion and story. Then play through with friends or against each other to make the most out of the combat system.

1 Like

I have to say I think that those of you who are against the concept of co-op in this game may be overcomplicating it. What I gather from Warhorse is that they’re trying to deliver a realistic SINGLE PLAYER experience. So keep the singleplayer as realistic as possible.

But let’s remember we are still talking about a video game. A video game where people want to have fun. Part of having fun involves the option to play with your friends. For every one person who wants the game as realistic as possible, I’m sure there are 10 who are willing to sacrifice a bit of realism to play with their friends.

When I speak of sacrificing realism, I don’t mean taking it from the singleplayer. Leave that as untouched as possible.

However, when it comes to playing co-op, Warhorse should take as many liberties as they can. If someone is more concerned about realism than co-op, then they probably don’t want to play co-op anyways, and vice versa. So there shouldn’t be any worrying about how NPCs respond to the non-host player. (If companions do make it into the game, then it might be fairly rudimentary to have NPCs respond to the 2nd player the same way they do for the companions).

In regards to balancing - what balancing will be needed? The swordplay mechanisms in this game are sophisticated. In any fight you are going to want to have an advantage over your opponent - if that means your friend is circling behind the enemy for the kill, so be it. It will encourage you two to stick together and use that advantage instead of testing your luck/skill 1v1 on opposite sides of the battlefield.

my 4 cents.

3 Likes

agreed. and since this company cares about realism, why would they bother with coop? just go play world of warcraft if you want unrealistic game.

Yeah, real people are not real enough :smile: I love those “go play
” almost as good as “your mama” jokes or typing WITH CAPSLOCK ON!!!

But seriously
 co-op isn’t evil, nor immersion breaker, nor make game unrealistic. Not necessary. I can image that I’ll play with frined and talk only about in-game stuff or even RP.
After all, we are PnP RPG players.

3 Likes

Coop? I can see the appeal, but nah. It would mean taking resources from fleshing-out the single-player experience to make the game work in coop, which
 I’m not a fan of.

1 Like

cool story. kcd is a realism game, not a pnp game.