Cudity Level: Too Much or Just Right?

Due to my career becoming my life I dropped out of following Kingdom Come in December and am getting involved again. I’ve been watching the YouTube updates while I wait for the Alpha to update. Dan asked for feedback on the dirty language so I figured I’d share my opinion based on the game play revealed in the videos. I haven’t gone through 5 months of posts, just the recent ones, so I apologize if there is an existing thread I could add to. If a thread exists I would politely ask the moderators to move this post to that discussion.

This is only an opinion I want to share with Warhorse; I am not a Puritan and I respect others who disagree. IMHO I think the crudity is skirting the line of become juvenile. There’s a lot of swearing to a bit of an extreme and the quest with the poisoned guy didn’t need to emphasize that he’s bleeding out of his rear. I get that we want a little comic relief and people of that time certainly swore. However, judging the material Dan posted when he asked for opinions I think it’s too much and too blatant. My advice would be to tone it down a notch to appeal to all crowds.

Respectfully,
MJJ

5 Likes

Humor of certain classes was really crude back then though. I probably even agree with you and say certain things are best left out.

What do you mean by, “back then?” There’s STILL comedians who make their living being as crude as they can possibly be.

1 Like

The question here is: Does everyone talk like this or is it just because we’re in a village? This rude talking could be part of the low social standing and therefore being well-mannered while verbally expressing yourself is not the primary goal in an everyday chit-chat.

3 Likes

Maybe I don’t follow modern comedians well but I believe the subject, people with a mental or physical handicap, is off-limits for most of them. Well except southpark that is.

For some comics NOTHING is off limits.

1 Like

I love this crude talking in KCD and I think it´s also common these days… in small villages… :smiley:
And sometimes it´s really suggestive…

Original cutscene from quest “Lost hammer”

3 Likes

Well this is supposed to a mature game not a family friendly Disney game. I would expect it to be a bit dark and crude.

2 Likes

it all depends on writing. the current dialog is a placeholder with temporary voice actors, so it doesn’t sound as natural as it could be.

some dialog still have the problem of being too modern. and with common american accent, the issue is exacerbated. also a bit too literal as well. “bleeding out my anus” doesn’t sound relaxed and conversational, in that context, it sounds more like what a doctor would say. “the patient is bleeding out of his anus”

try figurative language like “the insides of my stomach are pouring out my rear end”. that’s more or less how people would say it in conversation.

3 Likes

I prefer they don’t turn down for anyone and do what just they please!
Because all man play on 10, if you know what I mean… :smile:

Seriously, @warhorse should make the game they want. They shouldn’t back down forced from any outer factor - this is the very idea of public funding a.k.a Kickstarter. They have their own fans and their own funds to make their own game as they see it fit. This includes rough language, brutallity, sexuality etc etc.
And if some country with hypocrisy and false liberty decides to ban the game for any of its content – sorry, but a big f*ck off from me to those “authorities”. This may be the only reason @warhorse considers to soften up their hardcore game, but IMO they shouldn’t do it no matter what. Because all man play on 10!

1 Like

It’s a shame that when so much effort is being made to make the setting authentic, so many liberties are being taken with the communication. The language and attitudes seem very contemporary and therefore jar badly.

3 Likes

I actually agree with not going over the line… not is sense of censorship, but in sense of “well, now i’m going to show them how it’s done!” and almost every female is bitch, whore and every guy pervert asshole and fuck you, fuck that, i shit my pants, fuck you, fuck her and fuck your horse too. It will come of as weak writing if its just that. Dan Vavra is very outspoken guy and i think there is a mentality of “im gonna show them now” and it can lead to overdoing it and the game writing will come off as childish.
Maybe people were huge cunts back then and wouldn’t speak nicely (or normally) about anyone behind their back, if it’s too much, it will come as weak writing.
Opposite to that, i’m all for violence and horrible things. Literature and movies can show rape, execution and everytihing… Games? Nope. They can rape anyone in game of thrones and family will be watching, filming their reaction to Youtube… Stabbing pregnat girl into stomach 10+ times? No problema.
I’m all for Real quests and story-lines… Rape, burning, unfair executions, for first time in gaming: toilet and bowl movement of people in village… yes please, something real and people with actuals problems for once.

I would like to have the level of language depend on the character. Just like now I think there were people who liked to swear alot and some who preferred not to. Saying that personally I have no clue how the language really was, I remember reading somewhere that people from lower/despised classes like knackers or executioners typically used very bad language.
So far I’d say that the level of swearing is fine in the alpha, but I agree that in some places it seems almost too much.

Personally it’s fine where it is. Less swearing for those higher up since it’s expected you’re regal and honorable, whereas peasants can just swear till their lips fall off since they don’t have standards expected of them.

1 Like

I agree completely. Right now the game is trying really hard to be edgy with its swearing and stuff, but it just comes off as something a teenager would find funny. Is it really necessary to use the word “shits” in every sentence in the poisoned quest? For a first big quest introduced in the game, they chose a pretty cringeworthy theme. How is anyone supposed to take this game seriously if literally the first thing they hear is “Jerry is bleeding out of his anus.” This is a “The stick of truth” level of humor.

I agree completely. I was under the impression these alpha quests wouldn’t be in the final game, and were placeholder conversations, etc., all simply for testing purposes.

If this is the manner in which all conversations will go, then the swearing should be used in a more natural way. I’m all about swearing and having no filters, but it should feel natural and NOT forced, or simply there for effect.

2 Likes

I agree to an extent, I guess. I always took it to be a class based thing and took it for granted that Alpha wasn’t final, but I can see what you mean. As far as I’m concerned, the swearing can be as crass as they want so long as it makes sense relative to the character and the situation. If the character is a random farmer who is angry and going through a lot of pain, then I would fully expect them to swear the way he was. It only gets ridiculous when everyone is swearing at every point for no good reason. I’m happy to see it used whenever someone is in the appropriate mood and class and when the situation calls for it, but perhaps not as a filler to every sentence.

That said, I think I’m in disagreement with you guys about the swearing in the current version of the game. Given the situation of the characters involved: Jerry going through hell, Marianna being accused of poisoning someone, Jerry’s wife thinking (or at least trying to make you believe) that someone poisoned her husband, on top of the fact that this is a rural village who aren’t inclined in the slightest to present themselves with dignity around you, I was fine with all that was being said. Comments that the Devs are bordering on being juvenile, for now, I find unsubstantiated. If in the future the overt use of swearing extends to where it just doesn’t make sense, then that’s a different story. The game is fine as it is, in my opinion.

In any case, I advocate it simply for the reason that no big boy developer would ever risk negative press like that.

So in short: to me, it make sense right now, and so long as it continues to make sense it will be perfectly fine. I know people today who, when angry, will swear up a storm even in public and they’re in their 40+ in a time where swearing isn’t as acceptable as it may well have been back then. If you think it’s too much right now, you’re being a little prude.

*Am I the only one who was ridiculously happy to find a game that introduced itself with something not half as heroic as escaping a Dragon Attack or something similar? Helping NPCs tackle brutishly down-to-earth tasks is something I’ve been waiting for a game to do since forever. So long as our name can be built past that point, it’s a better place to start than any I can think of.

1 Like

Ah, I found the fitting thread.

I have a problem with the f-word in the game. It totally kicks me out of medieval time straight into an urban surrounding of the 21st century.
I’m not the only one, though. Two people who watched said the same independently.

Come on, you’ll find better curses that go more with the time. What about “bloody hell” or “son of a mangy she-dog” … :yum:

2 Likes

Google “Flen Flyys.” c.1475 and is the first written example of the word:

non sunt in coeli, quia fvccant vvivys of heli

It translates as: “They are not in heaven, because they fuck wives of Ely.”

The context by 1475 had clearly evolved into one we recognize (a vulgar term for having sex), so the word itself is likely FAR older. It’s also unclear whether it was any more appropriate to use in polite conversation then than it is today (this line WAS written in code, but it may have owed more to the simple fact the poem was accusing the clergy of violating their vows of celibacy).

The word itself may be much older, but building it in every sentence as expression of emphasis is very modern … or american … or both ^^

Even if it WAS used that way in 1403, most people would not know that and immediately connect it with modern times.

1 Like