Disease in-game

I’m not really sure the player could contract diseases in a realistic manner that would also preserve gameplay. I mean, waking up one morning with your max stamina reduced to 1/4 and your health steadily reducing with the only counter being proper medicine or maybe citrus fruits and a warm fire would really drag down the gameplay.

It’s the same reason why you stop playing Joel in The Last of Us while he’s bedridden.

would be pretty cool and would make sense given everything else they have done to keep the realistic atmosphere…

What about STD? :smiley:
I mean, people keep requesting realistic portrayal of homosexuals and Jews. Let’s have an accurate depiction of diseases as well.
For instance, Henry visits the local brothel to have some fun but he can’t be sure what he will get precisely.
The risk should be countered by some temporary bonus as a reward. For example, increased recovery rate for health or something along these lines. So, let’s say, if your health is not at 100 % it would be of good use. It’s up to you if you want to take a gamble. :wink:

@213

Hey there, Black Death may have been a major epidemic between 1346 and 1351/2, but afterwards, there were numerous other outbreaks, primarily in 1364, 1369, 1374/5, 1379, 1388, 1390 and again in 1408; all the way through to the early 18th Century in Europe. But just because there were larger, more notable outbreaks recorded, does not mean the disease suddenly stopped afflicting people.

Just my two pence.

1 Like

I like the idea of Cerberus
and the idea of disease in general but it shouldnt be too hard/realistic like minute said

I’d love to hear NPC’s talking about the black death but it should be the fear of it and if so, there shouldnt be too many persons infected. Orientation on Historical Facts is a good thing here.
I’m sure you can ask a historian about certain things and I would highly recommend it.

it would be nice but if it is too taxing on the overall system then I could understand why it wouldnt be included.

as long as my junk isnt in my trunk I think I am fine with it.

why cant I stop scratching? damn so itchy…

oh dear! what are you doing to that deer?

I like the disease idea, a system could be made that randomly starts diseases in towns and then the NPCs will continue to carry them everywhere they go and maybe you’ll get quests to bring medical supplies to the city in order to fight the disease, which otherwise would automatically be done by an NPC if you did not complete the quest before the NPC. This will of cause effect the simulation of each NPC and village or settlement that it has affected.

Very interesting indeed.

I don’t think letting main char catch disease and run with it is a good idea. Most of diseases at that time were lethal. It wont be fun to watch your character fall apart for some time and than die. There was no cure for most diseases. It could be applied then only on NPCs. If the player would catch it, game would say game over. So the player would try to avoid these infested NPCs.

So? Load from last save point make sure that you don’t get the disease. It shouldn’t be easy to catch a disease that kills you so you were obviously taking a risk when you did what you did and got infected. It could also be balanced by making sure that only certain diseases would be in the game so that we will never get extreme incurable diseases.

1 Like

I know where you are going with this, but that bends the reality as well. If you think about it, it was probably very easy to get diseased in those times, especially if you were in the business of adventuring/investigating/king saving. A simple scratch from a dirty knife or tool could have spelled the end for more than one strapping youth of the time. I think that, one way or another, us gamers will have to make some allowances in order to preserve a fun gaming experience.

I think it is reasonable for a game to weigh fun over unnecessary realism. If what you’re talking about is becoming a reality you can’t even take a single minor hit in this game without having a major risk of dying. But maybe you don’t want diseases at all? Now that’s far more unrealistic.

Edit: But what if we made a difficulty level to define how hard/easy it will be to catch an illness? Maybe even a toggle that allows deadly diseases then both types of people can get what they want.

No no… I didn’t say that. :smile:

Just throwing out an example that showed how too real isn’t fun. I wasn’t trying to call you out… just saying that, in some respect - either by making it harder to get diseased than it actually was, or not making diseases as deadly as they actually were, or providing cures to diseases that actually had none - we will have to allow for some unrealistic aspects suited to enjoyable game play.

Sorry if it originally sounded like I was trying to argue. :smile:

Ah I apologize, I think I forgot to read the final part with “us gamers allow” and started answering right away.

No worries. :smile:

And by the way, I love love love your edited idea about difficulty level. This isn’t something that difficulty level normally influences, so to have it do so would be pretty awesome!!

Maybe diseases can work similar to how they work in Skyrim. Slight debuffs, perhaps? Just food for thought!

In these forums there have been so many toggles proposed by now. I’m afraid the menu will become a cluttered mess before the game reaches even Alpha stage. :smiley:

How about one single toggle for realism with different toggle levels, selecting different levels of the toggle will give a new description below it. Then a toggle for difficulty and so on, keep everything very general but you should be able to go into an advanced menu an tweak a lot of the specifics.

What about the teeth?
In those times people didn’t brush their teeth and they didn’t have a dentist. Wouldn’t they look really ugly and unhealthy when they laugh and show the inside of their mouth?
I work in a hospital for cardiological diseases and once listened to a presentation about endocarditis.
Endocarditis was a common cause of death in mediaeval times and the source of this disease mainly was caries and therefore realy bad teeth…

They’re not making a “Life Simulator” game. They wouldn’t make it so that you have to simulate every aspect of your life. If they put disease, it’ll be a minor thing, at best.