Early gunpowder weapons?

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not against firearms in this game. They are historically accurate to be there, but i would rather have functioning fencing than to have firearm just for the reality of the time. But I hope they will be involved at least in acts II and III. Also i see no use for them in small village fights involving max 3 fighters.

‘for the reality of the time’ would be having them. Why would it also be replacing other aspects? It’s just another important aspect, among the many.

I sincerely doubt people would risk their lives in battle and use a weapon that wasn’t effective.

1 Like

A so-so offtopic opinion:
If there will be gunpowder weapons in the game, please, make them loud as hell. :smiley: Naturally, I’m not saying they have to make headphone users need medical attention; but in some games where some form of early, black gunpowder weaponry are implemented (such as in M&B: With Fire and Sword), it is horribly disillusioning to listen those farts these toys are capable of, whereas in reality I’m usually frightened even after the third shot - yet alone the first. :smile:

Yup :slight_smile:

“Please cover your ears when I say >fire<.”

What movie is this?

(apparently, my posts must be at least 20 characters long)

Army of Darkness. It’s a fun movie.

I’d prefer not to have any form of gun in this game, if they are released in other acts that is fine so as give me a chance to skip them like with the mount and blade sequels.

So, basically, you are saying you prefer the game to be more of a historical fiction adjusted to the crowd expectation rather then depiction of 1403 Bohemia? Well, what is the difference between suppressing a historically accurate weapon and introducing hobbits then?

3 Likes

Yes it is an important aspekt, but will you as player also use these weapons? Will there be circumstances for usage of such guns? Long barrel weapons were more accurate but heavy, smaller handgones were not so accurate, but could be carryed easyer. If there will be a castle siege these weapons should not be missing. If you would be fighting one on one battles with bandinds they are realy impropriate. Also there are many games with gunpowder weapons but not so many with realistic fencing. When i think of it there is none game that shows realistic usage of cold weapons. Cutting thru armor with swords atc… If developers manage to create accurate cold weapons and gun powder weapons at the same time this would be awsome.

My response long barreled is very useful first to shoot maybe hit maybe miss then use it as a quarter staff to bash in the head of my foes. There you go a one on one combat usage.

Snejdarek i feel like you should be the guy in the blue…

You mean a Smurf?

(20 chars limit)

i meant the video

(something something 20 character)

Of course you can hit with a long heavy barrel. But how effective it will be against halberds, swords atc… ? It is also heavy to carry with you. I can imagine an small force making an ambush with hook guns or small melee groups fighting each other, but i don’t think you would be taking this weapon into 1 on 1 duel.

Let me rephrase one of my previous points on the issue.

I’m sorry but wasn’t responding to your post and also i agree with you.

I newer told you need a cart to carry it but it is not something you can carry on your belt.

I imagine this game trying to be historically accurate. And i see medieval blacksmith running with handgone around getting a beer in tavern. Then a brawl brakes up and he takes his handgone lights the match (opponent waits of course till he lights it) aims, the opponent still stays at same place and waits till he shoots… if you would run in some bandit while traveling will you have the time to light the match and aim till enemy will hit you? I don’t think you will be running with burning match and gun in fire position all the time.

There are two topics buried here:

1. If they are generally fitting, matching historical time period, numerical availability
  2. If they are practical for generic player use outside of specific situations/quests

from what I read here 1) seems to hold, although the numerical availability might be an issue or at least a factor where the Developers can implement their design concept in either direction (from barely there to readily available) depending on how they want to play it, without disturbing historical accuracy too much.

with reference to 2), I would be disappointed if these weapons wouldn’t have a lengthy firing process and a general cumbersome usage from a historical standpoint, which in itself says much about the practicability as a standard player weapon - no need to put time into something which is intended to be frustrating. There are easier ways for the Devs to shoot themselves. :wink:

The only way I could see them used is as specific scenario dependent asset which can be used only there, if at all by the player directly and not some NPCs.

Please re-read the part where I specifically point to its use “when you expect a fight”. I didn’t mean a general likelihood of a fight, I meant being ready and knowing that somewhere in the village, behind one of those houses or road bends, where you will be within next three minutes, that there will very probably be a heavily armed and armored opponent. Another option is defending an entry point (castle entrance, a bridge) together with other soldiers with cold weapons in the first line against an attack, possibly with another soldier by your side for reloading. Of course, taking it to the pub for the possibility of a brawl would make sense only if you wanted to use it as a club, or if you were the one coming in and starting it by a single shot (with no plan of reloading).

Do you mean fight or pre-meditated murder?

Because bullets and gunpowder weren’t available over-counter and certainly weren’t left in the weapon on the off-chance of a surprise barney or mugging.