Freedom to the player?

Yes you can kill just about anyone, the devs have confirmed this. There will how ever be essential npcs that will be immortal due to story reasons.

But the devs have stressed that massacring a whole town will not be a walk in the park like for example Skyrim. Taking on more than three people is going to be almost impossible, because they will not attack you one at a time, they will gang bang you. And the only way to keep word of your crime from getting out is by killing everyone who witnessed the crime, but i think the devs have mentioned you can bribe the guards to look the other way.

As for torching buildings the devs said that’s not going to happen.

2 Likes

Sounds good, shame you can’t torch buildings though, but as long as you can kill someone that annoys you, all fine if you ask me. Though I must ask, can’t you take more than 3 peasants if you’re heavily armored? Say you’ve got your level high, experienced with a sword, what’s so hard against those peasants with pitchforks? Ain’t like their pitchforks can pierce that plate armor of yours, huh? Even without plate armor, if your character is experienced and you as the player know how to play, why can’t you take 4 peasants at once or even 5? Assuming you’ve got a shield of course and that the peasants don’t know shit about fighting and that they won’t surround you.

Almost forgot, can you pillage villages/churches or not? If they’re not tied to the story that is.

Well i can’t really answer how hard it will be to take down peasants, but i assume it will be pretty easy. When i said you can’t take on more than 2-3 people alone, i was referring to guards/ soldiers.

I’m not even sure the peasants will attack or just run away. But i do know that Warhorse has said repeatedly that taking on 2 or more people will be quite difficult.

One of the devs confirmed there will be a pillaged village scene in the game. How ever they did not say you would be the one doing the pillaging.

Edit:
I don’t think there will be a story segment when you pillage a church seeing how Henry like most people at the time is probably Catholic.

However i don’t think there’s going to be anything stopping you from running in a Church murdering the priests and taking things of value. lock picking, and stealing is already in the alpha.

1 Like

Hahahahahaha :joy:
Sorry, that was the best joke I’ve heard in a while xD

To the rest: The main story will not change, because it’s historical and also will be continued in Act 2 and 3. So you probably can’t just kill the King, because it never happened in history.
BUT you play your story inside this framework of happenings. You can kill everyone, as far as I know, except those important history personalitys. The game tries to simulate the consequences and this is one of the most complicated and time-consuming processes in the development.
I don’t think you can torch buildings. But there are models of ruins, so maybe someone can build a mod for it. A problem maybe being the AI (people will probably still cook and sleep in the ruins and not react to fire).

2 Likes

Where does this hatred of peasants come from? :hushed:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your replies. Oh, and where does this hatred of peasants come from? Not really a hatred for peasants directly, but a strong will to cause a lot of havoc, kill those helpless peasants and priests, go full psychopath. Can’t go killing soldiers, ain’t that tough, peasants and monks are just the right folk to go murderin’ :open_mouth:

Then this probably isn’t the game for you, to be honest. Yes, technically you can attack just about anyone you like, but the devs have made it very clear that this will not be the kind of game where you can just run around casually slaughtering everyone you meet. Your character doesn’t have super powers, and even if you’re in full armour, taking on more than a couple of opponents at once will be a challenge. Anyone who can’t realistically fight back will probably just run away and call for guards if they see you going on the rampage.

1 Like

Kind of Ironic coming from someone with superpowers in their profile picture, lol
Seriously though, did you even read through this thread? It’s just about the freedom to do it, it’s not about whether you get away with it or not(which you won’t, obviously)…then again, these are forums, ignorant people are expected :smile:

Firstly, what the heck has my profile picture got to do with anything? It’s from another game entirely. Secondly, yes I did read everything you said in this thread, but I still got the impression you expected to be able to go on a killing spree in-game with little to no consequences (all your comments about going ‘full psychopath’ etc…) If you don’t mind not being able to get away with it, obviously there’s no problem.

2 Likes

Perhaps I should’ve said “simple” instead of “easy”, because there is still a lot of work involved, but my point stands. Here you can see exactly what I mean and how it all ties to freedom of the player and the game being an actual RPG.

1 Like

The development of AI is “on top” of the Cry Engine instead … think that’s an important point. This approach can only be placed reactive. For a story-based RPG with a short time frame of the story you play may be enough. If it is to accept sandbox dimensions, would develop from the bottom to start. As a layman, I can explain difficult, unfortunately. All one does is the need to do it ahead, a desirable goal. Then the possibilities and the degree of experience with which he does it. He does this on / in a real, physical world. And it is subject - in KCD specifically - all social and religious restrictions of the Year 1403 in Bohemia. All the players must know and accept as self-evident reality. Similarly, the NPC’s that have to be with the (certainly very limited actions) a player (understood) (that fit in the grid this time), and this rate creativ it received (also with the restrictions: Story, 1403 Bohemia , physical world, their own goals and I - let’s say, miller or fisherman). Think, if only a small part of it really works, that’s would be quite remarkable … very curious how Act 2 + 3 with the player reactions of Act 1 then treats that will be very formative.

Bah, to be realistic : if you kill lots of innoncents, you get guards/honest swordsmen on you ; 2 or 3 and you’re dead. Game over. What’s the point ?

also, your character isn’t a blank slate, he has a set personality and background. you’re not going to turn him into a raging psychopath because he isn’t written that way, therefore having gaming options which enable raging psychopath/spree killer behavior is never going to overpower the gameplay features which prevent that from happening.

in grand theft auto you just run a few blocks and hide and after a minute, you’re clear because that game i designed for mindless boring run and gun. in this game, you’ll likely get tracked down and hunted by peasants and constables alike until you’re dead. and if you cheat to stay alive, the game will likely break.

Is that so?:

[quote]Emergent Gameplay

Our world is a living, breathing, and COMPLEX ecosystem, ready to be toyed with. Everything happens for a reason, every character has his/her daily routine, and every routine can be affected by the player. Characters are able to react properly to all player actions and adjust their routines to them.

Advanced reputation and law system.

The world will organically react to your deeds. NPCs will report your crimes to authorities, who will punish you for your crimes accordingly, either with a fine, time in jail, or by subjecting you to the stocks or torture. Crime will affect economics and NPC behavior; people will get suspicious or aggressive after unresolved crimes. Your reputation will spread by word of mouth.[/quote]
To me it looks like we will be able to turn our character into a criminal and a murder is not out of the question, given that game will feature emergent gameplay and one of the backgrounds is focused on stealth, stealing (we can even see this in a trailer, when a player steals a purse from someboy) and probably silent killing (if you look at the image showing all three classes you’ll see that the first one represents a player character holding a dagger up someone’s throat).

And for the argument that “he isn’t written that way” - it’s an RPG. Ultimately it’s up to the player to decide if he wants to do something or not. The only real problem is being able to deal with the consequences.

There are no classes.
Only ways how to deal with situations. These ways have just three main classifications: Force, Charisma, Stealth
But that does not mean that you will always have just three options. For example in tech. alpha there are conversations which use charisma for more than one option.

So even if you focus on using always force you will still have more options how to use it.

To my knowledge you should be able to do anything you want.
Though killing whole village might be impossible because you could be killed before finishing your deed. But sure as hell you can try!

Why we are interested mainly for the destructive side of freedom? Think about it … :wink:

1 Like

It was mostly semantics on my part - I was looking for a quick synonym and “class” came to mind. Even more so, because I already saw a couple of threads on forums and the IGN site, where they called these approaches “classes”. I agree with you that such classification is not entirely correct if ways to deal with situation won’t be gathered under a skill tree separated into three parts. I am very curious about the emergent playstyle.

In games I enjoy playing as a warrior the first time, but stealth characters are close second. Playing as a thief - and a murderer, if I will need to silence someone because I was sloppy - can be very interesting. Especially if they get everything right.

1 Like

I think this would be a fine mod to be added to the game. It’s sort of like the Witcher 3, Geralt isn’t just going to go around murdering everybody. Even though there are sandbox elements to this game I have the conception that we are going to ultimately be put on a path. Although this path will split in many many ways based on how we play.

Some games, like GTA, allow you to wreak havoc, and it is fun to do. But it is essentially totally silly and laugeable.

Fully implementing a realistic system how the world reacts to you going rogue is not nearly as easy as it sounds, but assume we’d put that system in place, whilst sticking to what is real an plausible.

one option is, that you piss off the lord of the land, and he sics his men at arms at you. And his servants, hired swords and game keepers, huntsmen and the guys with the hounds for hunting.

You can be fulla armoured and on horseback, but you can’t survive -THAT-. uh uh. nope. no chance.

Or the lord doesn’t give a fuck, but the population knows you.

You pay for a night at the inn, the innkeep, whos brothers wife you recently raped and murdered, according to a plan hatched at the last village meeting, gathers the rest of the town folk, and you are surprised in your sleep, with nothing but your shirt on. beaten, cut, strangled, maimed cut to pieces, broken, torn apart and burnt.

the idea of one man taking on a whole army is largely fictional.

Or say, you are known to be a mad and vicious killer…you enter a village, and the 12-15 villagers flock together. with pitchforks, clubs and knives.
Sure, from horseback you cut down one to the right of you…and the guy to your left cant kill you with his pitchfork. but by pushing it into you, whilst you are busy hacking to pieces the first guy, gets of off balance, someone grabs your sword arm, some milkmaid grabs your horses reigns… you’re pulled down your horse and fall down, and you better hope you die quickly, because that dozen angry peasants doesn’t like you.

1 Like

Its quite easy killing a horde of warriors if you are on a horse with a little practice!