Gaming with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Aye, long post ahead. Again.
Reading at own risk

You must’ve hidden a citing book somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue: Or google does.
Anyway, I did not mean “new” by saying “modern” - maybe that term wasn’t quite the best. Which is modern not necessarily is ‘new’. The used term of ‘modern’ merely referred to ‘our times’, or ‘nowadays’, if you like. For example:
There had been allergic reaction throughout the history, only because they wre diagnozed or called differently, they were just that: “stuff your body did not like”.
So, there is no quite new thing under the sun - unless you define ‘new’ with “had never been there in this form/function/manner of use/material combination/etc.”. Although they are yet merely aspects of their former form/funtion/… they are quite sth. new if combined in a specific way.
Following this “obsessive-compulsive” is a ‘new’ or ‘modern’ term for a ‘new’ or ‘modern’ illness: Combining these and/or those symptoms to this specific disorder/malfunction/illness.
(Darnit, sometimes I really like, when my ability to look at topics from an almost neutral and/or non-sensitive point of view…Although it comes down to definitions then and again…) :smile:

What actually is new to the topic of disorders, is the fact they are diagnozed many times more than even some years or decades ago. When it comes down to that, everything certain doctors do, is matching symptoms to a set of illnesses. - Well, good doctors know that being a doc means much more to it, not to mention a pretty damn good intuition and working at(/on?/with?) the patient - pressing here, pushing gently there, etc. I (within my 10 to 15-ish years of “self-concious” living) already had some physicians who just listened to what I told them, looking into their computer giving the exact diagnosis I intended, despite the fact my health was totally fine. (And no, I’m not just 16 years of age. :P) Well, back to certain illness.
So, in matching symptoms, a possible therapy is worked out and after that it’s a matter of time if the therapy does work out for the patient.
(Btw, in English langauge I think it almost hilariuosly funny that ‘patient’ (noun) and ‘patience’ (noun; ‘patient’ adj.) have the same word stem. I happen to like such linguistic ‘humour’…)
What I think in case of disorders, is (what I mentioned before), that I don’t define something a disorder, only because someone told you so. Even most ‘professionals’ tell you what the ‘modern’ society thinks is ‘disordered’.
Different to the point when one self thinks that a certain behaviour is quite ‘unsual’ and it is repeated by oneself against the individual’s will (-now we’re at the OCDs again-), then (if being that individual) I would call that obsessive and compulsive disorder.
Again I might add, I’ll see my arguments valid up to certain extend. Also I understand 'em merely as ‘point of view’ and not common sense, or any official statement of whatsoever. :wink:

“I . . . already had some physicians who just listened to what I told them, looking into their computer giving the exact diagnosis I intended…”

Why would you do that?

Because I did not want to go where I otherwise had to. And that way, I got a day off. I guess my today’s physician won’t let me pass so easily - which I think is quite the better choice, though.

KomaTanz: “I (within my ten to fifteen-ish years of ‘self-conscious’ living) already had some physicians who just listened to what I told them, looking into their computer, giving the exact diagnosis I intended…”

“Would you like my mask?
Would you like my mirror?
Cries the man in the shadowing hood.
You can look at your-self;
You can look at each other;
Or you can look at the face,
the face of your god…”

Loreena McKennitt - “Marrakesh Night Market” (1994) - YouTube

"Upon buying a new game I’ll often excitedly start it up, play through the opening chapters for a couple of hours before turning the game off and systematically removing all trace from the system that I’d ever played it. I then proceed to start a fresh save the following morning. […] By having that first «off the record» run, I can fumble through the beginning, get to grips with what’s involved and then blast through on my «proper» play-through for a perfect opening run.

“Perfection is definitely part of my problem. Part of my gaming self is always striving for the perfect game, whether that involves collecting every last item, maximizing my characters’ strengths or simply completing levels in a cinematic manner.…”

I suffer from Clinical OCD and it makes things very difficult, but gaming seems to relieve a lot of that stress particularly single player games as I prefer playing alone.

It’s true immersion and looking for things can help as you have control of your character but living with OCD is a very difficult illness to live with in general.

Number 11. definitly. I did eventually get over exessive saving/loading though. Playing Crusader kings II I learned that failing is part of the experience. It makes the game over all more intensiv. Also you have accept that you can’t contrlol everthing that happens in that game.

On the downside when I now miss a line of dialog or make an unacceptabel choice, I sometimes don’t have a save just around the cornor anymore. But I still press quickload before I get a chance to think about it.

What you said is a big truth. Nobody can control what happens in the game, and the same is true for life. Nobody can control all factor of their life. I had OCD since a few years ago, and the first thing I had to accept in order to begin to improve, is than I can’t control what happens in my life, and than it’s OK to not to be able to control everything. Another very important point, is to accept than our thoughts are not an absolute truth, they are just thought, ideas than arises in our minds, and this histories than our mind tell us, are not always true, we have the freedom to believe them or not to believe them. But of course to be cured from OCD requieres faith and and strongness to follow the tretment, in my case I improved with the LIBTOC method, but there are other treatments like psychoanalysis, or cognitive psychology.

I think you meant this site mate, and yes, there is some useful info in there. I wish the OCD-suffering community knew more about it. Anyways, the OP’s addition to this site is very welcomed. I used to think I was alone in this. That I was the only one that checked every option before going into the game. Even worse; missing a dialog line in a quest, having to re-start it all! :sob: It is so frustrating to feel the urge to NOT MISS THE DAMNED THING! At times I had to repeat to myself “IT’S JUST A GAME”, and I managed to get thru, but not the usual case… At any rate, the site at that link MAY BE OF SOME USE INDEED (especially to people who suffer from OCD but are new to info about it, or who feel too odd about it; it left me a bit more at peace, at least)… At any rate, I’ve found my faith in JESUS CHRIST to be more than enough in times of need, and the compulsions are no exception… !! Blessings to all who read this, even tho the OP is old! :slight_smile: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: