General first impressions of Alpha

Ok. I am hesitant to call these bugs, but these are my observations of the Alpha so far. :smile:

• Loads into game from menu pretty much instantly. (Love it!)
    -Not sure if this was just my controller, but I feel it’s worth mentioning that when I first entered the game, I found myself trying to walk slowly backwards at all times. (Note: This issue was resolved after unplugging, and re-plugging in my controller.)
    -The first thing I did in the menu was switch to full-screen, and max out the settings. I have an EVGA GTX 750ti SC edition, and although I have not viewed my frame rate as of yet, it feels like it’s in the 40’s-50’s. (That’s a good thing.) Also, when spinning around very fast, I did not SEE any rendering. :smile: Everything was just there, and not being done in front of my eyes. That really helps add to the immersion.
    -I just want to point out that the interface and menus are VERY clean and functional. Great job on that one! :smile: Also, the transition from using a controller to a keyboard/mouse is very fluid.
    -I LOOOVE the work you’ve put into the environment! :smiley: Everything simply feels natural/realistic, and nothing feels forced or imposed into it. Really awesome job there as well! :smile: (Side comment: I absolutely love the mud textures.) - Upon looking at the sky, I was instantly impressed with the birds of prey that are flying around. But then I noticed how many of them there are. I feel like there are simply just too many of them. (Just my opinion though.)
    -I did notice a slight path-finding issue in one of the farms. Unfortunately, I do not have screenshots yet, but basically, two peasants were trying to farm, but were pushing against each other.
    -Sprinting. While not the sprint controls I am used to, I feel like they are very intuitive on the controller. :smile:

Nighttime:

-Again, I was taken with how natural everything is. All the lighting, shadows, and trees just looked amazing at sundown. I really hope this game gets official Oculus Rift support, though I realize that would be a long way down the road still.
-Love love LOVE the lanterns! :smiley: They have great lighting effects, and again, just feel very natural.
-Small lighting bug when looking in the windows of houses. (The light would sometimes turn white, and look like light from a black and white TV rather than a log fire.)
-Too many lightning bugs in the forest. (Same as with the eagles, but only in certain areas. I just feel like there are too many of them, or that they should be more spread out.)
-Mute NPC’s? I’m not sure if all NPC’s are supposed to have dialog, but when I tried to talk to two of them, nothing seemed to happen. I should note that these two NPC’s also seemed to be frozen in place on the porch of one of the buildings.
-Moon. The moon is stationary. I feel like it should rise/set like the sun. Also, I noticed visible ripples coming away from the moon, and spreading across the sky.
-Day/night transition. I could definitely tell when the sun was about to rise/set, because the lighting would stutter like it was doing a slide show. So that could use a touch-up at some point.

Overall, this is a VERY smooth and enjoyable experience so far, especially for it still being in Alpha. :smile: There aren’t many features implemented yet, but from what I can tell, it seems that everything that IS implemented is for the most part, very bug free. Keep up the great work Warhorse! :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the list! :wink:

I love it too. Alpha looks great. Appreciate the details a lot. Lots of beautiful flowers and grass. Forest edge looks promising. And Forest itself has a feeling of its own.
Wondered about the Houses placement. Expected them to be in a circular style with a separate toilet house for example. But don’t know how they build back then. Hope the animals come in different sizes and that there are beaten tracks caused by animal movement and humans who choose a shortcut instead of serpentines. Great stuff so far!

I have also documented the usage of TV screens in medieval Bohemia:

1 Like