German vs. Italian armor styles, circa 1470, Which do you prefer?

2 Likes

I prefer the armor on the right.

2 Likes

I saw that edit. You first said left, and changed to right. Knowing you, you chose the one that would cause the most butthurt :wink: .

No i just choose the armor that fit most with my picture :smile: But in all honesty i prefer the left hand one.

Of course, you aren’t a heathen.

Plate armor, both are boring and look like tincans if you ask me, but if I was to choose one it would be the one to the left.

Seriously though lighter armors look so much better and are more practical too in my opinion, or actually, that’s not even an opinion. It’s more of a fact, the practical part that is, looks are a matter of opinion, obviously.

Would take this over plate anytime:

Sure, you can pierce it easily, but it’s light and have fun trying to slash through it. Looks good too imo and this Lamellar armor is quite simple to make compared to newer armors. Afterall, this type of armor you can see on the picture is pretty much ancient.

Also, if there’s an eastern faction in the game, they’ll be sure to wear those.

How is light armor more practical?. There are advantages and disadvantages to light and heavy armor. How ever heavy armor was better overall, there’s a reason the rich and important people wore plate.

A practical armor is something that doesn’t weigh much and can absorb damage, plate is too heavy, have fun trying to move around in that thing.

Oh, and if anyone comes with the: ‘‘But they’re not heavy at all, I’ve tried them!!’’ Okay, but have you worn an actual plate armor made from the original materials? I mean those tincans you see in those reenactment events are extremely thin, most of them anyways. Guaranteed that those people you see poking each other with fake swords aren’t wearing the real thing though, otherwise they’d be tired after 5 minutes, unless they’ve actually trained to wear that armor and fight in it.

Hey friend, modern soldiers gear weighs more than plate, and they seem to move around just fine.

Well i’m sure there are people on this forum who have fought with plate on.

Bruh, this isn’t DnD or Skyrim, none of this Light vs Heavy nonsense. Both of them work by covering a man in iron or steel, armor weigh about the same no matter where you go in the world. You cannot cut through either Plate or lammelar, and you would be hard-pressed to push a point through either of them, but plate is better at protecting you from percussive force without actually effecting your flexibility very much. Lammelar that covers as much as a full harness of plate will also weigh about 50-60 pounds, and a cuirass, spaulders, and tassets of plate would weigh as much as the pic you provided but have better weight distribution.

Well if you knew much at all about the game, you would know that one of your primary enemies will be Kumans, who wore lammelar.

2 Likes

Actually, it is often too thick. Extant examples of field-plate only weighed about 55 pounds or so. You don’t seem very educated in this matter :blush: .

1 Like

That’s an interesting question - can we expect to fight against people who didn’t wear top protective gear? If yes, what kind of people are we talking about? I mean, how common was plate armor in 1403?

Hard to believe that, but there might be soldiers that have enough gear on them to be close to what proper plate armor weight. Perhaps when you’ve got a large backpack that’s full of heavy military equipment, and are wearing kevlar that protects your whole body, plus having weaponry and a ballistic helmet it might be even a bit over plate armor weight. Don’t know.

Though, friend, think about this. These days the soldiers have specifically developed gear to fit human body, back then you had a smith making that armor by his own hands, no machines and the designs weren’t really focused for you to be comfortable in them either. Modern body armor is pretty soft, so it doesn’t feel that heavy. Oh, and backpacks, where you put your heaviest stuff. They’re also made to be easier to carry around.

I have no doubt about that, but experience shows most people that claim they’ve worn plate haven’t actually worn the real thing. That is of course blind assumption, I might be wrong.

All depends on the backstory, obviously who were rich enough could afford plate, knights, rich merchants, those from a noble family, ect. Not an expert like some of these people in these forums act like they are, but I’m pretty sure plate armor never was ‘common’, well, not until a century or so later, whenever it was the Arquebus came into wide popularity. By plate I’m talking about those torso armors most of the ‘new era’ soldiers wore alongside with those ridiculous sleeves.

Three payments of ÂŁ19.95!? Oh hell no! But for only an amazing deal for ÂŁ999.99 you can own your very own set of amazing, spectacular, and top of the line harness made by the Pope himself!

Seriously though, they are all pretty much the same in Europe apart from a few obvious exceptions

Who thought that was a cool idea?

But yes, essentially it is just what people think looks better and price (Pauldrons vs Spaulders isn’t though, pauldrons can be really annoying if they lock) and I’m in favour of milanese clearly :stuck_out_tongue: I just wanted to make a few points for the Milanese. Every harness needs some love!

Funny shoes, 10/10, would wear to stab people.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry thou shall stepth in hereth. The harnesses I use are of correct material and gauge and they still aren’t heavy. We also use real swords, only blunted as we don’t actually want to injure people by splitting them from nose to navel. However, we do still get injuries from re-enactments via kinetic energy (broken bones and such). Even though I despise the poncy lot but look at the BON, they need the proper stuff or they’d be mince meat.

Another point, any knight is trained and conditioned to wear his armour anyway?

You never know who’s under that armor, might a rich fat ass or some other ‘important figure’ :smile:

Btw, respect for dressing up in Hospitaller, Templars are way too overrated.

Hi, I’m not trying to be an arse or anything, just verify stuff for you. Thanks, Hospitallers rock!

A modern Infantry soldier today from the British Army wears aprox. 10 stone of kit (140 pounds). That is 20 pounds heavier than a standard American Infantry Soldier. That is alot heavier than plate armour (around 60 lb)

Plate armour was tailored to the wearer, otherwise it wouldn’t fit. If you can afford a full harness, you can afford a fitted harness. The articulation makes it very easy to wear, it’s so flexible as the joints are tailored to your bendy points (waist, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles, hips, etc
etc
)

They are very comfortable, I can sleep in them with no problem (and have!). Even if it isn’t fitted to you perfectly!

Nope! It’s annoying as hell and gets in the way. Oh! It also rubs like hell, you can’t use a comfortable firing position (buttplate into the soft bit of the shoulder) as the body armour is in the way. And isn’t as flexible as plate armour believe it or not!! However, new body armour is being released to the British Army soon, can’t wait (link: http://www.army.mod.uk/news/27112.aspx)!

Your firearm, or body armour take your pick :slight_smile: I’d say a full camel back but that’s on your back

As we put unwieldy things in bags, our firearm has a strap to keep it on us, the armour is well
 On you. Also, they liked to place them in a box too! As a handbag full of plate armour is just so not fashionable in the 1450’s. A knight in transit wouldn’t wear his armour, he’d wear some normal clothes unless he was expecting to fight.

Correct. It’s like saying, let’s go buy a supercar! Nowadays it costs around £1000 - £1500 for a full harness. I’ve really stopped counting it as I think Id cry.

Fashion baby!

Unless they’re displaying heraldry. You’d know if it was a fat ass as his breastplate would be the size of a bath tub! Anyway, armour not being heavy it doesn’t take a buff guy to wear them. Try walking around with 20 lb on your waist every day, you’d get used to it pretty quick. It’s the same for armour. It’s called conditioning :slight_smile:

I think that’s all I could pick up on for the moment, hope that helps.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

1 Like

There’s no “might” about it. You’re just, plain, unequivocally, undeniably, flat-out, WRONG. I don’t have enough synonyms to cover just HOW wrong.

1 Like