GTX 980 bad performance (30-40 fps)

Hi, I’m using a GTX 980 but get around 30 fps on the highest and lowest settings.
With lowest settings I can maybe reach 40 fps max. Is there something wrong with my specs or is the game not yet optimized? I’m playing at 1920x1080.

My specs:

• GTX 980
  • i5 3570k 4 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM

If you need to know more, please let me know.

I run a similar RIG, my GPU is a little worse but that game currently isn’t optimized to it’s fullest. I would also like to add that it currently is mostly dependent on your CPU, which could be holding you back (For now) I run a i7 4820k with a 780ti and get a solid 35-40 at max settings and up to 50 on low, but i record on low so it sticks around 30-40

It is tech alpha…it is not optimalized.

Yeah okay, but there are also no settings to tweak to improve performance?

Not entirely true, when you develop a game you optimize it on the go.

Your best bet is to set everything low ish but still playable and play like so.

Use this as a guide.

I am running on highest graph all maxed with 50fps+ (except swordfights)
i7-4790k 16gb ram, 980GTX, win8.1 64.

I hope to get better results once the game is optimized.

The game seems to be more CPU and RAM heavy than I thought then.

I’m playing steadily with 30 FPS on high details, same for low and medium even with v-sync off, (sometimes I’ve got even less FPS on low than high). Also I’ve got I5-4460 and it’s running on 65% and my GTX 760 is running on 80%, sometimes 100% for a while, RAM is about 6GB but when I try to play the game I saved, the game crash in 10 sec because it takes 7,5 GB RAM even without textures loaded up. It’s just not optimallized properly for now.

1 Like

It’s an Alpha, meaning that there’s no real optimization.

Generally the optimization occurs towards the end, so don’t expect it to run well.

In fact, nobody can expect to run game as it should be. The optimization can be in beta version which will be out somewhere in autumn probably, so the game will be up to 60 FPS hopefully. :blush:

I can confirm the latter. As soon as I upgraded to 16GB RAM, I noticed a change for the better. It’s not about the framerate, its about how smooth it plays, without any hitching/stuttering which many people simply do not notice. I overanalyse things so I spot these things straightaway.

As for CPU usage, the game makes very good use of all 8 cores with the load spread evenly at around 50% each

It is a known issue that the AI is causing a bottleneck in performance, this is mentioned by Dan during the live stream of the 0.4 update.

You can adjust your settings to get some minor FPS increases but overall there’s not much you can do until they further optimize it.

Poor performance & stuttering since 0.4. Low GPU usage, Crashing. GTX 780 Ti, i7 3770K
Performance Drops (Alpha 0.4)

Dan himself said that they had done very minimal optimization for this alpha build, before it was time to get it out.

As a games developer myself I optimize models on the go as well as whatever I can. There is a difference between optimizing on the go and sitting down and optimizing the game itself.

Leaves less work to do later.

This is the same for WH I was merely pointing out that in the context of 0.4 alpha very minimal was done.

Nothing official but it was mentioned that there may be 0.4 patch.

That would be great.

no. the gpu is barely getting worked. the ai is the bottleneck and it’s not optimized or streamlined at this point.

I just upgraded from a GTX 780 Ti to a GTX 980 Ti and I can confirm that performance is WORSE!

The GTX 780 Ti had 75% GPU usage and FPS was around 45 average.

With the 980 Ti, GPU usage DOES NOT EXCEED 45% and FPS is in the low 40s

Serious optimisation needs to be done.

1 Like