Guilds, buying businesses, setting up bandit camps and more

I was thinking that games which have a chance to earn money sometimes don’t have very many interesting things to spend the money on, this makes the game boring more quickly than it otherwise could be, this was one of the good things about Oblivion, Robin hood and Guilds 2.

I am thinking that not only should there be inventive ways to earn money but also inventive ways to spend it.

To begin with there could be the ability to buy businesses:
Blacksmiths, bakers, stables, farms etc. where you could work in them to earn a bit of extra income and/or set the production and hire employees.

I also think religion could be represented such as the ability to become a Knights Templar to go on religious quests like collection of money for the church, destroying bandit camps, acting as a banker? This could also be one of the guilds that could be joined, along with merchants and mercenary guilds perhaps? You could then progress through the ranks and become the guild boss, helping your influence and renown grow throughout the kingdom.

I am wondering if it could be possible in game that you could lead a double life as a kind of robin hood type figure. This would mean setting up a camp in a forest or cave and slowly improving it. This would be done by paying for materials and could become another source of income as more people join your camp, the calibre of these people could depend on your actions, i.e. good actions would bring honourable people with different abilities and vice versa. This could also allow the character to ambush tax collectors and caravans or army platoons that travel through your domain. It would be especially good if you would have to defend your territory from other bandits and the king’s men and if you could take over other bandit camps as well as sack villages and eventually castles. Related to this there could be a chance to join the king’s army and progress through the ranks e.g. peasant, footman/archer, sergeant, lieutenant of foot (where you would have your own platoon within the army and during battles you would be given tasks to complete, such as capture a flag, attack supply caravans, destroy siege equipment), horseman, horseman sergeant, siege equipment operator leading to general/knight and eventually duke, where along the way you would be given land, villages, houses, weapons and various trinkets. It would be interesting if you could choose which part of the army you could fight in for different battles and you could become skilled and proficient in that area.

At a higher level there could be a general rank system where you could start as a peasant and end up either as a high lord or king and your ability to do this would depend upon the amount of land and money you have procured through various means and how many followers including the size of your own private army that you have recruited from villages, towns, brigand camps and other places that may or may not be under your control. It would be good too if you could commission to be built farms, houses, bakeries, market squares, taverns etc. all of different shapes and sizes which you could lease out to peasants, traders and dignitaries and you would have to protect them from danger from your castles and barracks.

I am also hoping that at some point there will be water travel and combat i.e. boarding ships and sea/estuary invasions of ports and towns?

Finally I am thinking that extra income could be used to invest in a scientist which could provide upgrades and new technology. Such as higher quality metals used for armour and weapons which could be lighter and harder to damage which you could equip but could also equip your army/guild units with. Also prototype cannons, telescopes, armoured chariots, deployable traps, crossbows etc. used for your armies/guild units and also upgrades for your villages and castles could be researched like tiles, mounted crossbows, better walls and roofs.

3 Likes
  1. the Knights Templar were disbanded about a hundred years before the start of the game.
  2. you don’t seem to realize that the game takes place in a very small area with only a handful of villages and a castle or two or three.

this is a problem with unrealistic pay. lots of games give you huge amounts for simple and repetitive tasks, this leads to huge fortunes in a short amount of time.

Whether it is the Knights Templar or Knights Hospitaller or any other sect it would be interesting to have them in the game. This is also meant to be an amalgam of Europe, i.e. not anywhere particular, which in itself is not “accurate” which may mean some of the historical accuracies could be flexible.

Also with the ever increasing amount of kickstarter pledges an increase in map size may be possible.

I find your post kind of funny because the things you list to spend money on, are just ways to make more money like businesses. That is the problem in the games you speak of. I think, since we are talking realism here, you aren’t going to go from blacksmiths son to richest guy in the city who owns all the land. In truth, I think in this game there shouldnt be so many ways to make money because who is really paying someone to do all these stupid tasks you see in games. I dont think the map size is about money. Go read the developers blog. He seemed to chose the map size that would fit best.

No. The game is set in early 15th century Bohemia near the village of Rataje amongst the backdrop of the conflict between Sigismund and Wenceslas.

1 Like

pricet, you need to go back and re-read the kickstarter page and faqs. google for some previews of this game. it’s going to be historically accurate, realistic and authentic experience. i hope you are not disappointed.

I accept your point but I am trying to say that if it was completely realistic we would not see the trailer with English accents which I assume will be in the game. Also it would be very difficult to get everything absolutely and completely correct and historically accurate, I do not think anyone is expecting that, some do seem to want as accurate as possible but I am suggesting that it would be great if the game had opportunities to do things that had not been seen before in other games. Having a game that allows the less historically minded to do many different things is not a travesty, the game needs to sell to many different types of people if it is to make a fantastic profit, the knights Templar or other may be interesting for those who see films with them as they are arguably the most famous.

Without any intention in offending you, but you seem to have missed the actual idea of this game. You describe in many ways more or less almost every “generic” RPG which is already out there. In fact, the thing you are looking for is an Elder Scrolls game with an Europe-Modification.
Don’t get me wrong, this would be awesome!
But it is definitely not what this game wants to be. You should carefully read the kickstarter summery again. You will realize that they are heading in another direction of gameplay mechanics than most of the games which exist by now.

1 Like

I think that you are right, that is unlikely for this to happen but as I have elsewhere we want this game to sell to lots of people that may be less interested in the historical aspect of the game, I am offering differing ways to earn money as well as ways to spend it because I have not seen those ways in other games, this would hopefully give the game more interesting aspects for people to enjoy, also it does not matter if there are lots of different ways to earn money the bigger things in the game could cost more which would balance this out hopefully.

As far as map size goes, I highly doubt it. Not for the first game (meaning Acts I-III), at least. Expanding the map just for the sake of fullfilling another strech goal would be of no sense (not that I am accusing you of such opinion), the first thing is how such a map would contribute to the story and keep everything realistic (Kill potatoes!).

Thank you I agree it would be great, I have read the kick starter campaign message, I am trying to say that it would be good to have a game without magic and dragons but that does not mean that it has to cut out other things that may not be plausible but were possible, we surely want this game to sell as many copies as possible, if we try to stolidly stick to an area in Europe where there were limited resources and people and where it would take sixteen years or so for a baby to reach maturity and it would take six months for crops to grow and for the seasons to change we may get slightly tired of this? I do not think that many if any have gone into quite as much detail as I am suggesting to do with army structures and general village building, perhaps some of my suggestions seem outlandish but it could be limited to being able to only build one castle/village/farm/bandit camp of your own? I think that generic RPG’s also tend to include magic and dragons this was the great thing about Mount and Blade that it did not, however I felt it did not have the detail of building up your rank in an army and the ability to build villages and castles which would be interesting and most importantly fun, which is why people will buy the game?

I am quite sure that you can’t just become king or high lord. Except being a son of king or high lord. Of course there are exceptions but unless you go to holy war or save life of a king I do not think that becoming king/high lord or any higher nobility title is realistic.

I agree with you, however if it was completely realistic then it would be probable that we would spend the entire game as a serf farming, waiting for the tax collector and going to church and possibly die of a cold. I also think that your suggestions are very good, the idea of saving the king’s life or the life of a nobleman from an assassin or something would be great, also maybe a mod where you can fight in a holy war, on the battlements of Jerusalem would be very interesting!

@pricet i think this is a good starting point for further modifications from variety of game modes developers and fans, but not for the core game storyline.

Whel sheriff can exist in that time.
My self wan to villan rob and kill but don’t expect you can play as one.