Having hand cannons

So, no hand cannons? Hand cannons had been used in Europe since the 1300s and were the first personal firearms, not being superseded until the 1520s. They were used in the Bohemia of the 1400s, principally so during the Hussite Wars.

What do they add? Well, they allow for another ranged weapon that can penetrate plate armor, and the sound of their being fired can frighten horses (a decreasing fear of hand cannons can be another skill for steeds to learn). Finally, they’re technologically unique from other weapons in KC:D, unless KC:D will have proper cannons.

How to implement them? I see hand cannons, like polearms, being implemented as “temporary weapons”, in that you can take one and use it, but cannot place it in your inventory, and must drop it to change to another weapon. “Unsheathing” a hand cannon has you unfold the stand and plant it into the ground. “Sheathing” it has you pull the stand from the ground and fold it.

Hand cannons would be fun to use, and fun to see used. I don’t see any reason not to implement them.

Heh Sorry. But the picture you show are very, very missleading. Those pipe-styled weapons first didn’t actually appear on battlefield till the late 1500’s. With the evolution of proper modern firearms. No doubt somone got their hands on it there. But still, they absolutely weren’t used in battlefield more than a few at time. Reasons. First they very freakishly expensive, and relied and suppliers Bohemia simply wasn’t in contact with. Second those weapons were freakishly inefective. No, even they couldn’t penetrate a plate armor most of the time. Their only upside was a loud bang

I’m serious. A big proper canons weren’t on the battlefied for their effectivenes. Oh no, they grazed a single person if they were lucky. But their effect was to demorilize enemy army. A big fucking hammer of God would incite fear in people, as nothing else (they didn’t even thought such a loud noise was possible). Second they scared horses. Ideal for defenders, to break charge, or to just be annoyance. But you absolutely could not used it on horse. Or near your own horses.

Third I simply don’t see it going down with the theme. Most people don’t even known cannos were possible in this era. Giving you the hand gun would just feel weird.

1 Like

You are bit wrong here.
Mere 20 years later hand cannons were used in numbers by hussite troops in Bohemia. Actually the word pistol is most probably derived from Czech name for hand cannon - pĂ­ĆĄtala.
Bohemia was probably one of the main producers of hand cannons at that time.

2 Likes

There are currently two open threads on this topic no need for another :smiley:

Early gunpowder weapons?
Will there be guns in the game?

1 Like