Help with Performance, Stuttering

OC can cause problems, too
a used CPU shouldnt be more than 100 bucks

Yeah I know it’s not awfully expensive as GPU are, but still 100 dollars (or euros in my case) is too much for my budget, I already spent a lot this month and with my wage 100 euros is an awful lot :frowning: . One thing I thought already and someone told me as well in another forum, it might be the damned sliders (LOD, vegetation) and I might try and lower those to the minimum. Too bad I’ll have objects and vegetation pop up right in front of me, but if I can play the game smoothly and flawlessly I won’t be too bothered. Even on low/medium settings the game looks amazing, perhaps even better than skyrim for example.

you dont have an SSD right?
installing on SSD will maybe help, too

1 Like

Im playing on Intel I3. And… its not that bad.

I do not own an SSD, but it might not have much of an impact as well. I’m either confused if it’s best to play fullscreen or borderless mode, which is more CPU intensive?

@ pkubicek, how do you manage to play it?

The small 1050 sadly doesn’t help neither… The game won’t run well even with an OC (that is not certain for this i5). Best is to save up a bit and change pieces one at a time, and an SSD makes a huge difference in this game, too.

There is a nice i7-3770 on ebay for just about 50-60 euros or some i5-2500K for 20 euros and more, it’s a deal :wink:

The game is playable as is, but the stutters and freezing are obviously very annoying (well at least so far, I must test in Rattay, no stutters or freezing in the countryside). Yeah, I really wish I could upgrade now, but when I do it I want something that will last another decade, haha. Better wait it out six months or so, then I’ll see where it goes when my personal finances are better, get some money to assemble a new computer, perhaps. For now I just really want to enjoy the game smoothly without stuttering, pretty much like Skyrim with better graphics.

better play fullscreen

I have a PC that is weaker than yours but it runs fine with only minor freezing sometimes. FPS drops inside buildings but that is the biggest issue.
What I did before the game was released is invest 70 euros in an SSD. That made a huge difference (and I mean HUGE) overall how my PC performs. I set the page files to be located on a HDD that has nothing else on and I installed KCD onto the SSD. That is the only game and software that runs on the SSD, other games and programs are installed on another HDD. This way I made sure textures can load from the fastest drive, as in the beta I noticed that was an issue with the game installed on the mess a HDD becomes after some time using it. This might be the cheapest option you have as upgrading CPU usually means having to get a new MB and memory as well.

After a brief cleaning to remove most of the dust (it was a huge pile of dust accumulated in the CPU and thank god I did it, this small problem of KCD made me discover that the CPU was reaching 99ºC!!! After the cleaning it stays at 70ºC or so), overclocking from 2.8 GHZ to 3.1 GHZ, Using MSI Afterburner to overclock the GPU as well and reducing the LOD, the game might be fine now, at least smooth. There are some minor micro-stutters and I’ve still have to test in Rattay proper during daytime with loads of npc’s, but they’re barely noticeable and the game no longer freezes, which is great news. Actually it did froze for a very long time (Like 1 min) a couple times when I was closing a door and sitting. I’m not sure that’s related to my hardware, might be an optimization thing or such, but now I can actually play the game with a fluid experience. I did notch the LOD two or three notches and the object distance as well so things wouldn’t pop up RIGHT in front of me as much (They still do sometimes), and that’s annoying as well, but well at least I solved my annoying problem. Thanks very much for all the inputs.

Problem is that game is changing it randomly, during conversations, after ALT + TAB etc.

I have the same thing, I5-2500k (3,3Ghz) and GTX 980ti (6GB), 16GB RAM, running on Samsung EVO850 on Win764bit.
On ultra I can get 60fps no problem on fullhd, but when I get somewhere, where is more npcs, all 4 cores on CPU are used to 100% and the whole computers shudders from few seconds (very bad in battles…), so basically useless unless I just want to roam the forests - there are people with worst GPU and same CPU with no issues, so hard to say what the fudge :frowning:

Edit: GPU and CPU never go over 60°C

I’ve stated this in several other threads, but win10 has absolutely no problems using 100% of all cores without any stuttering. On win7 you somehow need to reduce max CPU usage to 99% to prevent stuttering, I don’t know why.

Regardless, if you’re prepared to upgrade it should solve all those long freezes and you’ll just get the usual FPS drops that accompany 100% usage of hardware, similar to 100% usage of a GPU.

How can I reduce it to 99% ? I bought Win10Pro 3 months ago, just don’t have time/energy to upgrade, to set up all the small stuff that makes my pc home again :frowning: :slight_smile:

Hmm. I didn’t have to set up anything and I upgraded 2 days ago for Kingdom Come :stuck_out_tongue: Even could use the Win7 pro product key without any problems and everything works exactly the same.

But if you don’t want to, some other guy recommended using 3rd party software to reduce max CPU usage to 99% in another thread. But I personally don’t know if it works:

Google might offer alternatives as well.

1 Like

Can anyone here confirm this program actually helped?

I can, it is ok now… but I cannot kill Runt… I am stuck there… just cannot beat him, damn :frowning:

Edit: Now I have only “normal” drops of fps from 60 to 30 even when I lowered the graphics to Medium :slight_smile:

Updated to Win10 and with new patch, 980ti, High details on fullHD no problem :slight_smile:

Okay glad you haveit mostly sorted (this game uses cpu more than everybother game I have seen and uses multicores more than every game I have seen -it is a great example of pc as a lead platform being better for the process)

Noticed your ram amount is very odd (as pcs go).
I would encourage you to confirm if ram is running in ‘dual channel’ mode.
A free tool ‘cpu-z’ (doesnt even have to be installed), can confirm how your memory is comfigured.

If you have 2x4gb and 1x2gb (10gb) then you might have single channel array ram mode and this game would run horribly.
(Remove the 2gb stick if that isthe case)

Check cpu-z for dual channel ram mode; it will tell you more about the installed ram as well.
Glad the lions share of thenissue was heat and easy to sort out. Cheers for putting the effort in

I am glad you solved the issue. I would also suggest to use a software that now i always use. I only paid 5 euro on steam it’s called “CPUCores - Maximize your FPS”. It really helps in distributing evenly the load among CPU cores. You should get a good bunch of FPS more with it.

EDIT : sorry, i paid it 5 euro during the black friday sales, now it’s up to 15 Euro…anyway there are some software methods, which are free, to do the same thing, they involve assigning priority to the game processes in task manager