Holiday in the Czech Republic

Hi
I was wondering if anybody here has some experience with travelling in the Czech Republic or maybe Poland? I would be mostly interested in sight-seeing and my wife in wellness…
Any ideas or tips? :smile:

Sorry im from Cornwall. @TobiTobsen, any ideas :smile:

Hi, I can give you plenty ideas. What are your interests? Medieval/industrial? Nature/towns? Out-seeing/museums?

Do you want to rent a car or go by trains and buses?

If trains and buses then I’d suggest route flying to Prague (minimum 3 nights), taking train to Olomouc (1 night), taking train to Cracow (1 night), taking bus to Auschwitz and then flying off from Cracow. You can add places alongside the Prague-Olomouc-Cracow railway line easily.

Hi Florian, try http://www.czechtourism.com/home/ for planning. Most of the towns, even the small ones, have at least one hotel with wellness and spa today. For example, Carlsbad in the West or Spindlersmühle in the North are renowned in this field - among many others. In the south maybe Böhm. Krummau / C. Krumlov might offer both nice hotels and a lot of city/history sightseeing. There are some other places in UNESCO might visiting. And if you’ll want to go to Poland through the City of Liberec/Reichenberg, you’ll find number of such hotels here as well (personal tip: Try Hotel and Spa Antonie in nearby town of Friedland, I haven’t been there personally, but it is highly rated by all my friends who had been there and not much expensive like Carlsbad, Krummau or Marienbad). There’s also a castle and a brewery with the best beer - Friedlander Albrecht - in the whole Czechlands (sorry, Malešov! :smiley: ) and number of other places along the way (Sychrov chateau, Jested Mt. …)

3 Likes

auschwitzs is a must if you go to poland . when i went we booked it with our hotel who took us there in one the hotels taxi’s (about an hour or so if remember correctly, staying in krakow ) and he waited around the whole day .

also birkenau is not right next door its actually some distance away . so he also drove us between the two camps although one problem with that is come about 5pm he was in a rush to leave as he was clearly finishing work at that time so we had to rush around birkenau quite fast due to spending so long in Auschwitz .
and if anyone here has been into birkenau you will appreciate just how big it is to rush around .

but truly humbling in just how sophisticated and well thought out it was which makes it all the more terrifying to picture back too .
especially the gas chamber in Auschwitz . a very strange feeling standing in it and looking towards the door as you imagine it closing on you

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the great tips! Will have to discuss it with my wife but we probably will go there with our car snejdarek.