How many Cpu core does the game support?

At the moment I have a midrange 4 core system (CPU i5-2500K).
The quest is how many cores does KCD support? Is it a good idea to upgrade to eight cores or not? At the moment the AI is a bottleneck.
Would it be a good idea to build up a 16 or 32 core system???

There is a “cheap” way to build a cpu beast. Maybe not an enery saver, but really powerful. For development perfect, but is it for KCD gaming a good solution?

Building a 32-Threat Xeon Monster PC for less than the Price of a Haswell-E Core i7

This “beast” is unbelievable for this price!

1 Like

@ProkyBrambora I think your team knows more about this than me…

Computing power is always a good idea. :smile: …I’m on a Intel Xeon E3-1245 @ 3.30GHz.(Yes very old…but AI runs very good…)

2 Likes

I think best would be to ask @Woody
We at QA just play the game :smiley:

Even though the CryEngine is technically able to use all those cores, we are not able fully utilize them. 4 cores/8 threads CPUs should be enough for us once we optimize our game.

2 Likes

How much difference does a 4 core, 4 thread CPU make in that case?

i5 2400 (3.1GHz)

As we are using DirectX 11, the Core i5 (especially this older one) could have a problem with too many draw calls. We are optimizing number of draw calls right now, so it could be fine, but I still don’t have final numbers. You can definitely play the game, although not with the highest graphics settings even if you have very good GPU.

Ok, sounds reasonable. I’d note that even in Beta, the performance is tolerable - I was previously hovering a little below 30 fps, now closer to 40 fps at 1080 and v high. (GTX-970)

With Ryzen AMD has finally managed to come up with a real challenger to Intel’s 8-core CPU, with under half the price. So, the 8-core CPU base is probably going to increase quite substancially from now on.

With that in mind, what is the current situation with multicore support and performance?

I’m bumping this topic because I’m planning to buy Ryzen 7 1700X and hoping that KCD will fully utilize its cores.

No. Not in games. It’s currently running like junk. 1 Intel core does not equal 1 AMD core.

It won’t. Much cheaper Intel CPUs will get higher FPS.

Take a look at some of the benchmarks before you waste money on AMD hype.

@Aradiel

My question was directed at Warhorse Studios. Sorry, should have mentioned that bit.

AMD Ryzen 7 is good for video editing etc. However i5’s provide equal gaming performance of Ryzen 7 for $200 less. Sure, in future games may use more cores, but at the moment not many do.
It doesn’t matter, you will get same fps(correct me if I am wrong) with intel or ryzen for most games as CPU does not bottleneck if you play 1440p or above.

The game has been in development for years. Ryzen just launched. The game is almost finished. I can almost guarantee there is zero Ryzen specific optimization.

Even if there were, Ryzen does not do well in games compared to much cheaper Intel CPUs.

If you bottleneck the GPU, then no, the CPU will not be the bottleneck. You could say the same thing in reverse. A 460 performs the same as a Titan on a core 2 duo, so it doesn’t matter which one you get. Both GPUs are equal.