How powerful will you be?

I know this game is going for realism, and i love it for that.

However, I remember seeing a clip about combat and it took like 5 minutes to complete. So what worries me is that after a couple of fights it will get boring to fight. I want to feel powerful, and be able to take on for example 3-4 bandits. And as they run towards me I cut them down. A game like this I want it to feel like MY CHARACTER is making a difference, that I am special and more powerful, at least further into the game. Taking too long to kill one knight will make me feel like an idiot.

Well the combat according to Warhorse will be difficult and taking one more than one person will most likely result in your death. This game is shooting for realism so i would expect and unforgiving tough combat system.

3 Likes

Warhorse is developing a unique and highly complex combat system with more realism than any of its predecessors.

The issue is that this concept of a highly skilled warrior running into combat and chopping down several enemies with little effort is completely unrealistic and is product of Hollywood and fantasy games such as Skyrim.

Our character currently Dubbed Henry is important however he is not the “Chosen One”, he comes from humble origins as the son of a blacksmith and he will become whoever the player shapes him to be.

It is and RPG so skills will grow and you will become more and more formidable as time passes but ounce again this games aim is set in Realism and so you will not be ascending to near demigod power.

Knight in Plate armor is to Medieval warfare, as a Tank is to modern warfare.

Taking down a knight was no easy task even for a equally armed and trained knight.

I highly suggest familiarizing yourself with the forums more, there are allot of misconceptions you seem to carry about medieval combat.

If I find time Ill put together a list of threads to check out.

7 Likes

Thanks for the answer and tip McWonder. And I have read some other notes on this matter, and of course read the description of the combat system from the developers. I understand that realism is the key for the combat in KCD, and don’t get me wrong, I am ecstatic about that. but here is my point:

Duels with other knights I am okey with being longer. They will be exciting just because of the intense combat, and the anxiety of doing one mistake resulting in your death. So that all is good.

However, most soldiers were NOT knights. A knight was someone with prestige, power and wealth (usually). I’m saying if you meet a few bandits (bandits were usually poor folk with almost no armor, if any, poor quality weapons etc.) then a knight in shining armor and a long broad sword could be able to take them down rather easy. One slash with a sword on a normal tunic and the bandit would die. There are many stories on how merchants or noblemen travelling would bring just a knight that could scare a small group of bandits away just due to their sheer power.

That’s the power I want. So i guess I must clarify my question. Is there a difference between fighting a couple peasants to fighting another knight?

Bards man they spread Propaganda worse then Fox “News”. The power your describing here sounds like it has more to do with renown and prestige rather skill.

Now that’s not to say that combat skill is not a factor because it surely is, but things can and were exaggerated (including History).

Well then be glad you backed this project because advanced reputation system is a main factor and is already present in the alpha i.e. charisma is affected by your clothing thus affecting NPC’s response to you.

To what extent this will go to is yet to be seen, but WarHorse has shown competence and a drive for excellence in this area.

I cannot rightfully answer this question because the combat system has not been released for testing. I also have a very limited amount HEMA experience (or any other combat form) so I cannot make an educated response as to how multiple opponent combat would pan out in a realistic setting for comparison.

I do have some textbook understanding but I feel its better to wait for one of the more knowledgeable posters on this subject to respond. @Ambaryerno I CHOOSE YOU!

3 Likes

I think MCwonderBeast said everything what community know now.
The clip you mentioned is long 5 minutes becouse devs put that guy much more “HP” than normal for showing us how combat will look like. :wink:

2 Likes

Bandits were most usually former soldiers that came back from wars and suffered from what is today called as PTSD and could not get back to normal life. So in reality, bandits were very skilled war veterans, and considering the way wars were fought back then, they must have been really good in what they were doing, otherwise they would have not made it back in the first place.

The sort of bandits you are describing would not make it far simply because the viligers would hunt them down with bows and pitchforks, not to mention any real force that a local noble could throw at them. The game takes place in central Bohemia which had fairly high population density for its time, not in some remote border area with little population.

Heavily armed knight would first need to get to them. In order to do that, he would have to find them first. Chasing them in heavy armor may be possible only on horse. At the same time horse can’t make it far beyond the main trade route. So no, taking heavy armor and combing the woods for bandits is not a plausible scenario.

2 Likes

I think your imagination might be a bit too romantic.

A single knight, even in full plate, might have become easy prey to multiple bandits without any armor.
It all depends on tactics … take him down and cut his throat or stab him through the visor etc. etc.

Sure there was a code of chivalry but I doubt that bandits would have taken it seriously - so no need for honest fights if you dont want to.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with a little romanticism… but @nord_valhalla is taking it to the next level here :smile: not really what this games about as @McWonderBeast rightly pointed out.

My thoughts exactly though @golani79… group of bandits simply overwhelm said knight by sheer weight of numbers, bring him to ground… end of story. :skull:

Hey @nord_valhalla!

While the combat system indeed aims to lead into more stamina based fights (espcially against well armored opponents), it was also mentioned that ***“if you are skilled enough - you can find the weak point and kill him faster”***. :slight_smile:

The only combat clip that long is the one from the vertical slice for the publishers. And in the livestream there was specifically mentioned that this combat sequence is longer then the combat will usually be, to demonstrate all the possible attacks and defenses.

Here are some statements from Viktor Bocan regarding the combat system.
The video is over a year old but nevertheless should cover many upcoming questions.

I jumped right into the particular part of the game you’ve been questioning, but it’s definitely worth it watching the full video. :smile:

2 Likes

Poof

I haven’t really gotten to the point of studying many vs. 1 combat, but some of the flourishes from the Additional Manuscript (English) are built around the idea of contending with multiple opponents. I believe that the Germans do discuss 2v1, but as I said, it’s something that I haven’t gotten to yet.

However that being said, a fully-armored knight shouldn’t have any problems handling a couple peasants at once, even if he’s on foot. Bladed/edged weapons like swords and axes aren’t particularly useful because neither could cut plate armor, and the amount of accuracy required to thrust a sword into a gap in the plate is incredibly difficult to achieve if the knight is mobile (thus why harnischfechten — even beginning with halberds and polehammers, which are much better for armor penetration than even maces and axes — generally ends in wrestling your opponent to the ground and poking a rondel in his eye).

It’s also a matter of just how willing are those untrained peasants to press their numbers advantage? I can speak from experience from one of my fighting groups that an inexperienced and untrained mob is actually NOT likely to do so, and will either all attack from the same angle (thus letting their target keep the whole group in front of them, essentially turning a many vs. 1 into a series of 1 vs. 1s), or not even attack a much more experienced opponent at all. I’ve seen highly-experienced (and usually well-armored) fighters take down some pretty ridiculous odds due to combinations of equipment, knowing when and where to step, poor enemy tactics, and outright hesitation to engage. Whether that last point is due to inexperience on the part of the attackers, or intimidation on the part of the defender, isn’t so easy to determine, but the effect is still the same.

3 Likes

Your typical bandit may not have the high end armour, but most certainly has the experience and skill. And considering that in most typical circumstances they are the ones to chose whether to engage or whether to retreat and fight another day, their determination should also not be an issue.

A common villager does not chose the path of outlaw, and if they do, they won’t last long enough for anyone to be bothered with them because they will be simply dealt with before they have chance to gain any significance, not to mention experience.

I recommend you put this gentleman into google translate to get some grasp of what a typical bandit’s background was.

http://kriminalistika.eu/muzeumzla/rohac/rohac.html

Hi,

Actually we have a confirmed record of two Hospitaller brothers (1200s) in England taking on 34 bandits by themselves while staying at an Inn on their way to a priory. Now these Hospitallers were only donned in gambeson, mail, aketon, transitional great helms, shield and sword. And they can kill 34 bandits. So it does happen and their armour is less protective than plate armour (time period regardless, a man is still a man.).

I’d add more, but I hope you get the idea.

Regards,
Warrior Rose

Sorry for having the doubt but that seems a bit more like two drunk armed guys slaughtering half-a-village for no good reason and then making it into bandits story rather than a real encounter of dangerous bandits.

3 Likes

Hi,

That does sound amusing, but it would not go in line with their location, status, beliefs or documentation. They were two Brother Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitaller), and the time period all brothers of the Knights Hospitaller were very pious and took their vows very seriously.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

2 Likes

So you say that people who decide to join a formation that is reknown for conducting combat operations abroad against people who don’t share the same faith are in fact the most upstanding citizens?

Sure, sure.

I am not sure if I agree with this. Yes, many bandits will be veteran soldiers, scarred from war only know how to fight and unable to live a civilian life. But are they the most? I don´t know, what is about civilian refugees who lost their homes and their jobs? And what is about poor people who get criminal and get banned from their villages? A prison was not common during this time.
They don´t have fighting skills, but they all wanted to eat something, wanted to wear clothes and wanted to get a better life. So there will be also groups of unskilled bandits, fighting for an opportunity.

1 Like

regarding the hospitaller story. were all 34 bandits slain or were they just frightened off? because the number seems utterly unbelievable.

2 Likes