How to run KC:D on Oculus Rift

My question is simple.
How to run Kingdom Come on Oculus Rift? Is it even possible? When it will be possible?

When I run SteamVR there is possible to run Kingdom Come in the same way as e.g. Half-Life 2. Problem is, it starts with no perception. With HL2 it works perfect so I deduced my settings are correct.

From the Kickstarter and the official Homepage FAQ:

Do you plan to support Oculus Rift?

Cryengine supports Oculus Rift by default, so general answer is: yes. We plan to support this awesome hardware gadget.

Oculus Rift captured the imagination of many players and you ask about it very often. Cryengine supports Oculus Rift by default, however we realize that the game has to be developed with Oculus in mind and we are aware of their recommended Best Practices. We shall try to stick to these recommendations, but VR is still an uncharted territory and we can’t guarantee ideal results from get go. To create horse riding experience that won’t give you motion sickness looks like a real challenge.

Since the main focus of this game is not VR, I don’t think we get to see an implementation in the early access. They first need to get a stable build with all performance enhancements before VR makes any sense. Low FPS or occasional performance drops isn’t a good VR experience, plus it’s a feature that is not relevant to the actual gameplay. VR IMHO is still a gimmick in its current state and yes, I tried it several times. The only games that worked pretty well for me (means no motion sickness) were games in space or plane in a sitting position… ohh and this game which also still in Alpha:

(Oculus Version)

(my introduction to the game)

1 Like

Hmmm I wouldnt call that gimmic… not at all. I tryied that by myself and without any sickness (strangely not even at FPS, that makes me feel sick sometimes) so it is individual I guess. And also lets not forget that it is not released yet - its in dvelopment stage as KCD is.

I agree though on that it is not main focus and I would expect it in alfa. But after refuzing 3rd view (except dialogs and herbalism) I still have high hopes for VR.

I only meant the current technological stage of VR, not VR in general. I think the same about smart watches. As long as the technology is not ready for a broad user base of the target audience it’s a gimmick or meant only for developers.

2 Likes