Hunting system,wildlife

How will the hunting system be? Will it be like in skyrim, just press sneak and shot a arrow?

Or will there be a more challenging and realistic hunting system? I think there are much low budget hunting games which could be a solution. Implement a wind indicator in form of arrow (a actual wind direction with real weather physics isn’t neccesary) Implement a realistic animal AI (high fov) and sensual ears. If you walk in false wind direction and goes too fast you will nearly never see a animal (at most in the field in the morning or something). If you shot an animal it escape and you have to follow blood trails.If you add bigger forests the effort will be not so much because of low density(The guys who want a bigger map are statisied without the compromise of less density) If you make something like that, the player can do more than just fighting. You can survive and crafting without money. You can be a bad boy because you hunting without permission. You have a medievil job, if you hunt for a nobel.Devs can offer more quests (kill the beast of the forest). please no walk see shot eat system.

A complex realistic hunting system is not immpossible if you see how much low budget hunting games are there and are not bad or make no fun.

Will there be a wildlife?Grassing Elks, wolf who attacks deer, foxs are hunting rabbits…bear who search fish in a river …

7 Likes

A good point really.

The dog companion could also help in hunting.

If you walk slow (not run) the dog smell game is close he will set down in direction it smell the deer. The player now have to sneak alone in the right wind direction until he see the deer.Then the player shot and call the
dog to follow trail. For example:

dog could detect deer at 80 meter,
deer could detect hunter during running at 200 meters,
and during slow walking 70 meters
after that distance hunter have to sneak

Its calling leithund (ledhund) and was very common in medievil times.

1 Like

I am just wondering, what good hunting games are there?

Iam not an expert but I know also few games… the hunter 2015 and hunter 2014, hunting unlimted and cabelas hunting games. The most feature bow, blood trails and wind direction.

I really hope the devs make a seriuos hunting system. How often see a running man deer in the forest. After 100 times there will at most 1 sight. And that despite todays noise habituation (cars, timber industry,guns etc.). Dont demand a full simulation (like right camouflage, calcuate arrow spin, noting season and daytime, animal attribute, hour-long searching for wounded deer or hit zones). Just a authentic hunting feeling. Its a waste if that realistic forest havent a realistic wildlife and hunting system.

As far as i know there is no information about hunting system apart that it will be in the game.
I’m also curious if it would be possible to fight animals with sword (bear for example).

I remember they said something about traps and snares. There was also a video(?) or discussion where they state that they were having trouble with how the player would hunt rabbits since they are fast and skittish. This sparked a lengthy thread about bow hunting rabbits (I can’t find the thread or I would have linked it). I think wind direction is already indicated in-game - all that beautiful grass, weeds, and wildflowers that move in the breeze.

the fact that grass moves, does not yet mean that there s a wind.
And even if there is it does not mean that it will move the arrow.

Welcome to comupter games :smiley: :smiley:

There is a optical wind direction but I dont think it affected whether the deer smell you or not. But that is not needed. The actual wind direction have not to match with the “hunting wind direction”. The sense beyond sensitive ears (Diffrent distances dependent on how fast the player move) and random thought but affecting wind direction in form of a arrow is just to make sure that the player only meet deer, when he try hard to find it. No physic wind simulation required. Just a direction you have to go if you want to spot deer. It has nothing to do with the flying arrow. (deer smell less with the wind). It is in much hunting games and has nothing to do with actual wind simulating.

If it is too much effort for WH I hope at least they give the animals very sensitive senses.

A useual walk trough the forest and meet some rabbits or deers in a small distance is very unlikely and unrealistic. It would also be no challenge which is very very boring.
Could a Dev or Moderator say something about the hunting system?

Iam agree with the leading dog suggest. Would be awesome.

What do arrows have to do with wind? I was saying if people really want a wind indication in game the grass is already a great indicator. I have never seen plants move unless there was something there to move them - wind, animals, rain, ect.

I was just replying to those who wanted wind indication in-game. I know games require sacrificing certain elements of reality.

I like your suggest.

But that would mean that the “fictional random wind direction who affected hunting” have to synchrone with the optical grass and leave moving. I personally think that would be too much effort because it is nearly a actual wind simulating. Make optical grass moves affected or synchroned to anything would be a too huge physical effort I think. But I repeat it isnt nessecary because a real hunter have not to note every gust of wind. He have just to go AGAINST the main wind direction to hide his scent .

But if I am wrong and it is possible to show that wind direction in form of moving plants, it would be awesome.

1 Like

Have the devs some infomation about the way they want to go? Can not find any infos about the planned hunting system.

They have said something about traps and snares. I am not sure if that is something that is already implemented or just an idea they had.

I don’t think much has been said about hunting. There was a short scene of the player shooting a wild boar in the trailer and there is a non-interactive snare in the alpha. My prediction is that there won’t be any specialized system for hunting, but it will be part of the game through crafting system (making snares, items), economy (selling pelts or crafted items) and fighting system (Bow and arrows).

What remains to be seen is how our fellow companion doge will actually work in the fighting system. Also I’d like the animals to be very cautious and quick (a lot of games makes animals move slower than they should).

Thats would be really dissaponted in a game which call itselfs realistic.

To be fair they are replicating the medieval lifestyle. They are not trying to be a hunting simulator.

1 Like

A realistic open world medievil Game need a realistic immersive hunting system same as a realistic fighting system, crime sytem, immersive and detailed environment. Dont talking about hunting simulator, just a bit challenge, realism and immersion. No skyrim walking than shooting, that would break immersion even from a child. WH want realsim when it not decrease the fun. Dont can imagine that anyone would prefer random moving arrows targets more than deer stalking.

Yeah, but you have to understand that a game of this scale takes a lot of time to make and they have deadlines. If they have to choose between working on the crime and fighting system or realistic hunting - which do you think will win out?

They making a super detailed environment, wheather, nature, story, history, buildings, clothes but no smart animals and realistic wildlife . It would not make sense.

But again they are not making a hunting simulator. Their game is focused more on a medieval lifestyle and story. Animals are a minor thing in comparison to everything else. Yes, realism is important, but the animals are not a ‘key aspect’ of the game. If you want a game with hunting akin to real-life and super-realistic animals there is already a large selection of hunting games.