I hear there will be no horse combat

I heard from an IGN interview on youtube that there will be probably be no horse combat. I think this is a bad decision, because horse combat is one of the major ways to fight in a medieval world. I think you should rather postphone the realease of the game and spend a lot of time on making horse combat. Without it the horses will simply be a means of transportation, and you will be completely vulnerable when facing an enemy on the horse. You say that you won’t do it in the first installment, because you want to do it perfect, and there won’t be time/funds for it now, but that you will maybe do it in a later Kingdom Come game. I think it would be better to have a simple, but well working system in this game also, and then improve it for later games. You can just copy the m&b system or something. It’s better than nothing!

1 Like

No, it will basically make the horse an old fashioned bike. I was looking forward to some awesome jousting, but I guess not…

1 Like

If the mounted fighting system is supposed to be as awesome as the fighting system on foot. Then I just can say. Guys, take your time. I can wait another game, as long as you make it real. And not just like in Mount & Blade, which consists of, galloping in circles and hitting your enemy from time to time. (Which is nice, but has nothing to do with historical mounted combat)

You 'd need to implement a lot more techniques than just being able to swing a sword.
Have a look at this video, it 's quite nice.
This video shows you what Arne meant by “they buy their time (and wait for the right moment to strike)”.

Ok, probably shouldn’t have mentioned m&b :stuck_out_tongue: That first video was really nice, I guess don’t know enough about mounted combat, but I guess few do. My point is only that I think they should take their time and try to get horse combat into this game, rather than be too concerned about releasing the game asap. Or perhaps the next kingdom come installments will be too similar to deliverance if they put horsecombat in now. Then they won’t have much new content left to present. Either way I think that it will be a huge job to make it work properly and be authentic, if they are going to have techniques like those in the first video. Two people with a lance head on can’t be too hard to inplement to a game, but what will decide who wins the clash? In mount and blade (that shit again) the one that first makes contact will win (like in sports fencing), and that’s a terrible way to solve it.

1 Like

Considering this game is historic, researching and then animating and programming horse combat could be very tough and very time consuming.

Just hacking away at an enemy while sitting on a horse may be okay for something like TES, but in real life you had to have the beast run at the enemy and use the animals momentum to cut into the opponent. It was also common for archers to take aim at the animal and for the rider to have the beast drop dead beneath them.

You have to also consider the types of horses they had back then (types, they did not have breeds) and the cost to own one. Henry is not a wealthy man. The horse he owns is most likely a Sumpter (also known as a hackney) which was a common riding horse of the time that also carried supplies. At best the horse could be a Rouncey which was also used primarily for travel or as a pack horse, but if need be could be trained for war. Not the most ideal war animal, but doable.

Horse and Dog Types

Jousting was an event with very high stakes. You stood to loose your armor and horse. The horses used had to be well bred, strong, swift beasts, typically the very expensive destrier.

Henry not being wealthy should not be a reason to exclude horse combat from the game. We don’t know how he will evolve through the game, perhaps he could be trained for mounted combat and get the neccessary equipment eventually. I agree that it will absolutely be time consuming (and therefore expensive), so if there should be a reason to exclude mounted combat, it should be that it costs money, I don’t think they should be afraid to postphone the game’s realease or that henry might not be able to access it

The problem with Henry not being wealthy means he cannot afford his own animal fit for combat. These combat animals were so expensive that they cost roughly the equivalent of a years stay at an inn. You could say Henry could be given one and trained for it, but why would anyone do that?

You have to remember that this is not another fantasy game. Henry is not some destined hero gaining wealth and title. In real life those were almost never given or gained. Most were born into it. No one would give someone like Henry a horse fit for war. He would be one of the many on foot (Warhorse has stated you are just another soldier, not someone leading battles).

Additionally horseback combat would require additional research, programming, animation. How big of a part will it play in the game? How much use will it get in the larger battles? It is fine to ask for it, but if you take into consideration all the additional time and work it would take to add it in and refine it, I wouldn’t bank on it making it into the game. The regular combat they have in the game now took a considerable amount of time and resources as is and they are still refining it. I don’t think they will hold the game back just for horses. I am sure people can mod it in though.

This is just Act 1 though. If or when they start Act 2 and 3 I think horseback combat could very well pop up. By that point they will already have most of the details and systems hammered out and able to add too and build upon the foundation laid by the first game.

how recent is this cause they said they made it work + polearms recently idk where i heard it (probably video update) but i swear i heard they made it work recently.

Combat or not I find it amusing (albeit extremely useful) that I can leave the horse nearly anywhere, hike a long distance, whistle, and there’s the horse!
Perhaps Henry’s horse comes from the line of Pegasus? Not that I’ve seen any wings on him mind you…

Would be nice if the horse was always present like Agro in Shadow of the Colossus.

This has been a topic of much speculation over the development life-cycle, and I can say that to date there are certainly no guarantees that mounted combat will make it into the first act. Dan Vavra talked briefly about this in one of the video updates; I recall them suggesting that while they are indeed working on the capability, it is quite possible that a simplified version would be released initially, and improved upon in later acts.

Would be a little bit ironic if WarHorse weren’t able to deliver a functional mounted combat mechanic for their first game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I haven’t watched the LiveStream yet… So can’t comment on whether or not this speculation has been addressed.

1 Like

If it does ever make it into the game (or Act 2 or Act 3) it will be interesting to see how it controls.

I’m quietly optimistic, I think we’ll definitely see it in some form.

Just hopeful that it controls a fair bit more intuitively than M&B…

Like I said, I still think that henry not being able to afford a warhorse should not be the reason to leave mounted combat out of the game. Would it also be impossible to do skirmish attacks with his sumpter horse or whatever its breed is outside of battles? Like cutting down unarmored opponents (if that’s your thing), or chasing down someone fleeing, or something like that. I am not saying he have to get an expensive warhorse and participate in jousting tournaments. And even if he can’t afford one he could always “lend” a warhorse from a cuman lord or something.

Also, keep in mind that this is still a game. The stuff about people being born into wealth and Henry don’t doing any feats of heroism won’t be totally true in the reality of this game. We all know that Henry will do extraordinary things (I’m not talking about singlehandedly wiping the battlefield or something like that.), even if it might not lead to personal wealth.

As I said, I feel like the only real reason to leave it out is the expenses and struggle of making the system.

The same arguments about this being a game and Henry not being wealthy having no relevance on what feats he can perform or what ‘things’ he can come into possession of were used on another thread where people wanted him to own vasts amounts of land and build his own castle (I’ll see if I can track down the links).

I know this is a game and some compromises have to be made, but it is also a game that Warhorse has painstakingly tried to keep as historically accurate as possible. I get tired of this same argument every time someone requests a game-play feature that is either very unlikely to happen (for any number of reasons) or makes no sense within the time period the game so faithfully recreates.

That said, I am not saying I am against horseback combat in the game. Just that I don’t think we will see it implemented. If they do add it in that would be great. This is clearly something you really want. I would just keep your expectations tempered. Only so many games have ever had such a feature and not all of them have done it successfully.

1 Like

Mabe an interesting Fact.

I started playing yesterday. I took my Horse and ride through a forest. There was a little Camp with only one Kuman.
All the time, i was sitting on my horse in his Camp, he didnt attack me.

Only when I dismounted, he started his attacks.

Maybe thats the way it´s solved?

Dunno. I seem frequently to be Hors de Combat.

Yeah no thats clearly a bug or unfinished. To have enemies just stand around and follow you until you come down would absolutely kill immersion. Tho the hoots and hollers could be pretty comical.

Would understand if not ready or unpolished to hold off on its release but would be pretty disappointed if they totally cancelled it. Im hoping for a more sandbox experience in which far after Ive ‘solved’ the rpg game -a fun openworld game is still available -horse combat would be a pretty large piece of that pie -even if only rudimentary.

2 Likes

I really hope it will make it in first act.
The large battles would be very historically unauthentic without cavalry.

1 Like

It’s this video from March 10th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9iMAzGUbY
They start discussing mounted combat at 13:55