I was at Gamescom 2014, I had a talk with Daniel Vavra and Martin Klima

Hey KCD Community,

I had a very pleasant talk with Daniel and Martin and guess what: I have no damn news, I got nothing to tell you, they kept their mouth shut… well except for Daniel who knows what he wants regarding the music. He mentioned a full orchestra like in the old Indiana Jones movies… and he mentioned that term a lot, which means he must be a real fan of Indiana Jones music. :smiley: He also wants typical medieval combos which we’re going to hear in the pub or other certain occasions.

Hmmm… I think, I should tell you more: Daniel hasn’t been visiting the forum for two months now. He asked me, how the forum is doing and honestly I think this forum is doing quite good despite the low input from the devs and at some point they’re sorry for that. However you should be assured that everything looks good so far and they’ll inform us about Alpha release as soon as it is definite. Development slowed down a bit because of 12 new people joining the team, which of course need to get the right mindset about the game design and structure and so on. It’s still a bit slow, but Dan hopes it’ll speed up soon as people are worked in and can concentrate on their tasks.

There are not (m)any news about the game because they don’t want to spoil us with features they’re going to implement which we haven’t heard of yet. Also they don’t want to do polls and ask questions regarding game design decisions as long as we didn’t experience the game firsthand. Since they already have made many design decisions and what they’re aiming for with these decisions there should be no fake involvement in the game development from the community and I’m totally fine with that. So once the Alpha is released, we can talk about specific features and criticise them as much as we want and Daniel and his team will convince us of their approach and decision… or we might find a way to convince them to make a difference, who knows, who knows :slight_smile:

The reason why I’m telling you all of the above is that nobody of the team said it before and still didn’t (I’m not an official member of the team) and I thought you should know about the background. It’s not my intention to discourage the creation of new threads, ideas or comments. I just don’t want any community member, be it a newbie or oldie, to feel disappointed regarding the information we (don’t) get.

During my two days at Gamescom I had some interviews with indie devs and there’s one difference between them (and many more, but the following stood out). Some devs make games because they want to make (more) games. Other developers make games because they want to make money and get rich, which is a focus I don’t like about indie devs. During the talk with Daniel he clearly stated what’s wrong with the indie scene right now and that he’s missing some serious games. Currently it’s all about retro, crazy and funny in the indie scene. He has no problem with retro, crazy and funny in general, but with retro, crazy and funny and nothing else, No evolution in concepts, no retrospective view on the interaction in RPGs and lots of 1:1 copies of old successful games or mixed concepts of game ideas. That’s why Warhorse Studios stepped up and wants to create a serious game with high quality approach and true RPG elements.

Once the Alpha is released, we as community should do our best to give reasonable critics, offer ideas for improvements and also accept design decisions where alternative designs lead to new issues. Also: Keep up the posts and be nice to each other! Nobody of us knows how the game’s going to be, so nobody can decide if an idea is completely nonsense except for the devs themselves or the given information we have.

Cheerio,
Yuusou

PS: I got a very special Mafia map now:
Did you spot it? I wanted him to add some bluer water spots above the name Lost Heaven with a pen I gave him, then I folded and unfolded the map and now look what happened next to the word “LEGENDE”. It was a very magical moment.

22 Likes

Thanks for the info, and great to hear in which direction they want to go with their music. I love John Williams work for Indiana Jones and it would be so awesome if they could hire John Williams to write the music for the best game of the year. I know he is probably extremly expensive and is currently occupied with writing the new Star Wars music. But just the thought of listening to a new masterpiece of Williams, while exploring a castle makes me smile.
Johannes

Hi @Stalcon,

Daniel has chosen a Czech composer, that’s for sure, but I got no name or anything. It’s just natural to choose a composer whose mother tongue is the same like your own. :slight_smile:

Cheerio
Yuusou

2 Likes

Sounds good, can’t wait.

I’m glad you were there
and also that Dan and Martin have been there only as visitors but nonetheless
Its nice that they put much focus on the soundtrack. I just hope it wont be too overloaded especially in the pubs
I’d like if there would be only one singer/bard with a lute maybe in some small taverns
maybe more musicians in bigger ones

this is just great:

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed report. So we are waiting for the “evolution” in the Alpha :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up.
Since I was there myself on Wednesday, may I ask at what day and what building you met them?
I don’t know if this is too personal to ask but are you working for any kind of press? Just wondering, since you metioned that you interviewed serveral devs.

I met Martin and Daniel at the Biergarten next to Hall 5 on Thursday late afternoon and one of them was also drinking a beer, but I won’t tell you who it was :stuck_out_tongue:

I have my own radio show about music and soundtracks of PC and video games and I usually present one game or game series per show. It’s hosted on a German liberal radio station, which means I do it for free, I speak German the whole time, since September 2013 I produce the show at home as I don’t live near the radio station anymore and all of this in my leisure time when I’m not playing games, listen to music, watch some edutainment YT videos or take care of you guys :smiley: I also barely have interviews as I don’t have time to travel around or arrange meetings or those people just don’t give a damn when I ask them for interviews like the German living legend of Amiga music Chris Hülsbeck.

For anyone who’s interested in the show, feel free to PM me, I’ll send you a link where you can find nearly all of my radio shows except for one lost show and I don’t know what it was and where it is… seriously, nobody does, like it never existed. This is an unsolved mystery of my radio show. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I know you weren’t looking to spread lots of news but just hearing about the thinking regarding the score is exciting. Just my opinion, I love an exciting emotional score in films and games so reading this makes me happy.

Awesome, I to am sick of retro looking 2d sidescrollers, I’m 40 and played those types of games the first time around this is one of the reasons I supported this game. I like indies with new idea’s that will at least present a modern looking game. They really hit the nail on the head trying to do something unique. I’ve always wanted to play a graphically,rich historically based open world RPG.

I hope this game gives other indies the courage to step out of the retro 2d mold and really make some interesting modern looking games.

Thanks for that info!! :smile:

I know that map better than my city…