In Game Music authentic?

In the last video there was Talk about what kind of music would be in game.

I hope since this game has a medieval theme and tries to be authentic that they don’t only do music with a big orchestra but also make music like from “corvus corax” who are trying to make music close to how it may have been in the middle ages.

What do you think?

1 Like

As long as it is fitting it will be great. I hope the main theme is grand and orchestral, but I wouldn’t be that surprised if the main source of music will be from actual bards in taverns and such:/ I’m sure it will be amazing, but music was a bit limited in the middle ages…

1 Like

I don’t think music was that limited… since there where lots of different instruments.
I don’t know if it is a good source but they have a small list of instrments that seems to be pretty realistic:
http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-music/medieval-musical-instruments.htm

Well… difficult to be answered.

First question might be: HOW authentic music should be taken in KC: D?
Next question: What effort should be taken into music?
Etc.

For an unknown reason, I would be pretty curious about the 'Horses to make it pretty much authentic to the point, that you’ll hear music only in cities/castles and maybe taverns. And otherwise none. But instead, to arrange the environments noises as some kind of music. The swaying of the corn (if not harvested yet) in the wind the tchirping of birds and noises of the woods…Behind the player a snake hushes over the ground… And then the sounds of the next settlement growing, when getting nearer…

For “real” music, it would be kind of nice to get some recognition to “modern” times’ view of medieval music. In Germany we have some quite interesting (and more or less known) music bands making medieval folk music. (“Faun” and “Schandmaul” might be the most famous with their older set of songs, although the latter I won’t sort to “folk”-section…But “Die Irrlichter” as a less famous, but nonetheless more authentic(al?) music band with some fantasy-themed songs as well, also “Die Streuner”, “Versengold”, erm… I could mention some more… :smiley: But I guess you’ll have some examples of your own… )

Oh, I almost forgot: For ‘The Elder Scrolls Online’, they made some beautifully chanted songs (at least in my language’s version it sounds quite good :D)

Edit:

Well, Skyrim had an awesome “main theme”, I do think, although it wasn’t much orchestral as such. Some choral things would be quite fine, supported by minimal instrumentalization. Also on behalf of religious issues due to the time KC: D is placed.
Orchestral… I don’t know about that. Instruments as violins, celli and such aren’t quite old yet. My girlfriend and I bought a Rebec a few days ago, which is said to be the predecessor of most string bowed instruments of today (with some stoppovers at baroque, and renaissance etc. as well, of course).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNvPJ2Fuzns)

(Reason for second editioon: Correcting some typos, add little sense to argumentations (choral vs.orchestral))

I meant compared too us.

Yeah me to kind of : D

Never heard of “Corvus Corax”? They are a pretty famous german group that even makes research on medieval music in order to make theirs sound authentic… also they only use medieval instruments…

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lSY2rc8Xc)

That is quite obvious since our culture has advanced a lot since them and has mixed with a lot of other cultures around the world, new cultures have emerged and mixed into it… The world has become one big cultural melting pot : D

Mmm, my point is just that keeping the music 100% authentic, won’t make it sound any better, or do much to help it fit. It could fit with the games themes, but not technically have been possible to do in that time.

Something that goes from Carmina Burana to maybe Angels of Venice i would be happy

OT i love this from angels of venice :stuck_out_tongue:

'course I know the ravens. :stuck_out_tongue:
But despite using medieval instruments (which the other named music bands do as well) I am quite sceptical towards Corax… I cannot really explain why, maybe I should give 'em another start after all those years.

However, I do quite well understand, that the factor “music in the game” is hard to discuss - not only due to personal taste. I also guess, the 'Horses already have had some thoughts over this. - Which I pretty much like to know about, by the way… :wink:

Anyway, I might say, “If there is to be any ‘authentical’ music of whatsoever, I don’t care about its language (if there is to be any), as long as it fits into the game and even more into the setting (temporal and regional).” 'tleast if that doesn’t kill bitterly needed ressources… coughs

Carmina
[/quote]

Errm… Despite my likes for some CarlORff-stuff, I don’t think “Carmina Burana” fitting for KC: D… I might err, but such is my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love them but yeah you’re right Komatanz! That songs fit better in a barbarian context while swinging big 2h swords or hammers :stuck_out_tongue:

some medieval music composed pre 15th century i heard in other games/mods i think are fitting for this, from top i think is the best:

saltarello 3
stella splendens
cantiga 119
saltarello 2

I guess it will strongly depend on the costs of licensed use, which interpretation will make into the game, if any.
Or they’ll produce an own soundtrack-ish stuff.

I, personally, going to believe in their good intuition to choose the “right” music for the right places. :smile:

cost of licensing song written by people hundreds of years ago?

No such thing as copyright after 50 to 100 after the death of the artist depending on the country. where 50 is the international minimum convention (But i don’t think any country has it this low.)

've Even music by composers from this era belongs - all very dark and sacred. (But interestingly, presumably by the previously raging plague probably sounds the depression after) Only for the game I think that’s inappropriate. Also, this neo-medieval tootling goes a short time on the nerve. Think there should forth what fresher, are enough good composers eg for film music. In the series “Henry VIII” but was much more useful here, ne?

P. S. One of the best movie soundtracks of the last time for me was “Band of Brothers”.
One would have ask even know how this composer would deal with a medieval theme, perhaps a surprise?

think the music should sound, heroic, poignant, courageous and passionate no matter what instruments are chosen.

Music is one of the areas where I don’t mind warhorse being a little bit anachronistic.

Sure this (yes something from 1200 AD.)

sounds all nice and medievally but I doubt most people would appreciate hearing it during a battle. Maybe this song ought to be heard during a feast in a castle and something a little more peasant-like in a tavern, but during travel/battle/wandering in the forest some ambient sound and a nice orchestral background sound is better.