Intel Pulls out from Gamasutra

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/10/gamergate-intel-pulls-ad-support-from-gamasutra-over-gamers-are-dead-article/

Intel joins other advertisers in saying, ‘enough is enough’. This is what you get when you continually libel & insult your primary customer. To make matters worse, people against #Gamergate have already started calling Intel ‘Misogynist’ for doing so.

Yet again, I am fanboyishly happy to help Daniel & his team create the kinds of games that Gamers want to play. :smile:

4 Likes

good for them. as a business move, it’s also quite smart. a lot better than shooting yourselves in the foot by badmouthing your own consumer base.

i foresee a lot of the social justice agenda pushing sites going into decline and a market opening up for upstarts who want to make gaming journalism about games again.

this is why gamergate is important and shouldn’t be downplayed or equated to people shouting bad things.

It’s mind-boggling to realize that this topic has become so verboten to games media that they have stepped way outside of it to try & (as they would say) ‘control the Narrative’ (I.E. Making crap up, posing as truth). It is now not permitted to talk about #Gamergate on 4chan. Not. Permitted. If anyone here is familiar with the site, all manner of truly horrid things have been talked about as casually as I’m addressing everyone here. Yet, mOOt, the owner, decided to make that topic a bannable offense. The Mods at Reddit deleted a 25,000-post long discussion of it & it is now highly controlled. The Gaming sites of course, except for a few like The Escapist, stomp on an pro-GG post, regardless of content.

Even at Wikipedia for cripes’ sake, the Anti-GG crowd is doing everything they can to make sure that we in #Gamergate are seen as only Terrorists & Misogynists-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.860762-GamerGate-Discussion-Debate-and-Resources?page=437#21461064

We’ve got one of the editors of Wikipedia who gives us regular updates on the goings-on there.

Again & again & again, this Gaming Morality Force shows just how much they love integrity, ethics & calm, rational debate. I’m sure Daniel & his team know about this kind of ‘Social Justice’ all too well. Intel was showing some real forethought in pulling out. Of course, being accused of aiding misogyny when their current President is a woman, probably isn’t going to make them feel too welcome in coming back anytime soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if you think about it… 4Chan is a site with what you definitely would not call a good reputation. Due to the wide variety of stuff going on in there their further active participation in GamersGate would pretty much give a lot of credible ammunition to the anti-gamersgaters and their “sexist” and “misogynist” rhetorics.
Furthermore, 4Chan being directly linked to one of the very onsets of GamersGate makes them a logical primary target for the more militant social justice side that goes on swarming various troublesome servers with DDoS attacks at will.
I think I can understand why this site in particular might want to rather stay away from this now that it grew so widespread.

Another thread for the same story?

Intel’s choice is telling and should reassure all of you. Pointed proof that “the big guns” get it and aren’t about to have their market subverted for political agenda.

Watch for others to follow… some more vocally than others (you beat me to the posting punch with this… but I’m tracking it).

That’s okay, phydra, I’ve got no ‘dog in the fight’ when it comes to getting news out. I only care that it DOES get out. :smile:

On that note, the makers of Github, where we hosted Operation Disrespectful Nod, a repository of companies the games media depended on, has been taken down because it ‘supports harassment’. :-/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.860762-GamerGate-Discussion-Debate-and-Resources?page=480#21466968

To add to that on a personal level, yesterday my bank account was hacked to the tune of $700. It was caught and the account locked down. This happened less than 12hrs after I purchased Postal2 from Running With Scissors via Humble Bundle. Coincidence? I doubt it. I’m a prolific poster at The Escapist & elsewhere and as the Anti-GG side has shown time & again, they are petty, vindictive & hold a grudge as long as humanly possible.

This kind of thing is how they ‘argue’. These kinds of acts are how they ‘debate’. And STILL none of the Gaming Morality Force will admit such acts take place, much less apologize for them. As pro-GG people do for the bad actions of our outliers.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying I made another thread just to heap praise on Daniel & his Team? Heck, I could do that dozens of times. :smiley: Or are you saying that it’s just another #Gamergate issue, so it should all go under a single thread?

I don’t have an issue with that per se, if the mods wanted to merge all this into a single new topic, I have no objection to that.

I’m so glad i’m from a small country where we have a different problems than some Gamersgate.

1 Like

Actually, you do; your “dog in the fight” is the need to see others admit This Is A Real Issue.

The problem is, you’re doing more to ensure it grows AS an issue in the process. In case you don’t realize it, that’s playing right into the hands of the folks who WANT it to gain more spotlight. GG.

Which is why you should host it on a server out of Sweden. I mean, if you’re going to do it, do it in a way that doesn’t give the opposition ripe opening to shut it down.

I wonder if you realize that you’re teaching the folks running the Escapist that this is a lucrative thing that should be encouraged? I suspect not.

Prove it, get an attorney, and do more than complain. Valve will respond to discovery inquiries that are presented as part of legal dispute.

If you’re wrong, you learn a lesson about the perils and pitfalls of confirmation bias.

If you’re right, you have standing from which to bring a case and fight in a meaningful way. Who knows? Maybe even give the spotlight to “your side” in a much more meaningful way.

You ask me, I’d say the probability of forum argument creating change is lower than legal action. But hey… I could be wrong… you could huff and puff and blow the house down someday, maybe.

And I’m absolutely positive that you have no history whatever of gnawing a bone long after it’s gone dry, eh? (grin)

My point here being that if you work to make yourself noticeable, you shouldn’t be surprised when that includes both negative as well as positive notice. There’s wisdom in choosing battles you can actually win rather than wasting time and energy on those which, by nature and venue, cannot be “won” in any lasting or meaningful way.

And this is the fascinating/amusing thing to me… I read this and I can almost hear the thin, underlying echo of the kid standing in the kitchen, tears streaming down cheeks, wailing to the universe at large, “IT’S NOT FAIR!”

People can be stubborn, stupid, and pretty much any other adjective you want to throw in the hat. None of them owe you, me, or anyone else a damn thing. So why wind yourself around the axle over the unfairness of it all? Are you completely unaware that “it’s unfair” is precisely the assertion of “your opponent” and that any appeal to emotion along these lines only highlights that, other than opinion, there is very little difference in EITHER side’s level of interest in more than argument and acrimony?

When I said I did not have a ‘dog in this fight’ I was referring to putting up the news about Intel. Your post made it seem as if it mattered to you that I put it up here before you did. I responded that I did not care in that regard. As to ensure that it grows ‘AS’ an issue, you’re absolutely correct. You speak as if that is a bad thing. More people do need to know about this situation. Why would they not? Keeping it small would allow games media to squash us as they wished to and the problem would continue. If at some point it becomes something that grows beyond just games, perhaps it needs to. As #Gamergate itself needed to happen.

I didn’t put up Operation Disrespectful Nod, those who did are looking into more secure alternatives.

In regards to The Escapist, allowing us to have one of the few large-scale places on the internet to discuss the matter was indeed a wise business move. Changing their ethics policy was also a wise business move. I have spent a long time talking with Alex Macris, about many of his decisions and the reasoning behind them. He is one of the few businessmen that I know whom I have complete respect for. He does things that are very business-savvy as well as ethically sound. Thank you for the implication that I am ignorant. If you would like an idea of what kind of man Alex is, this video will help-

As regards to my bank account being hacked. I was not complaining. I was informing there is a difference. I am not shaking my fist at the universe wailing about the unfortunate circumstances of it all. If I wanted to do that, I could whine all day about my broken spine. It is important that people know these things are happening. As to hiring an attorney, when the situation requires it, I will look into it. The Police have been notified, my Bank’s Cybercrime Division has been notified & is looking into it, I spoke personally with the head of Running with Scissors and based on his anger at what happened, he is not just going to ignore it. Finally, I contacted Humble Bundle about the situation. When the situation progresses and more action is required, I will take it. If I am allowed to, I will put as much information about the situation as I can out on the internet, so that others can be informed as well. That for now, will be the limit of my ‘huffing and puffing.’

Every human being at some time or another does hold a grudge. I’ve done that as well, yes. I am also aware enough to know that some people will like what I write and some will not. That’s life. My point is that the Anti-GG people are displaying a truly vast amount of childish behavior on an extremely regular basis. If I have to, I will throw up a wall of text to that effect. However, based on your attitude, it seems that would be superfluous. As to a battle we cannot ‘win’, Gamergate is, in fact, winning. Intel’s withdrawing from Gamasutra was the latest example of that.

phydra, I do not know you. You do not know me. I did not post anything disparaging anyone here, yet you have just done so to me. I don’t understand it. You can disagree with things I’ve said, that’s fine. But this tone you have goes a bit further than just civil disagreement. As I said above, I have much greater issues in my life that I could ‘cry to the universe’ about. This is not one of them. Lamenting the incredibly childish behavior of the supposed ‘adults’ in the GMF is not crying about the unfairness of it all. Again, it is informing the unaware, and giving people who are pro-GG some more information. These people are acting like a mob of 12-year-olds who have been found out about their shoplifting. It is not rational. Which is not surprising, since their Ideology is based on hatred of such ‘Patriarchal’ things as rationality.

Do you want to see what has made me cry about this situation? Here, I’ll show you what does make me cry-

Of course, what was done to Steve Tom Sawyer fills me with fury, as well as sadness. But he seems to be recovering, getting back into doing what he loves, and that is a good thing.

The Mafia-Type threatening of Boogie, one of the sweetest, most loveable, dorkiest guys on the 'net? This also moved me to tears. Because the uncomfortable fear present in what he writes is palpable. He did not deserve this treatment. He was so scared he refused to do an interview with Alex Macris about what happened to him, because it might be seen as still supporting Gamergate.

Those are the kinds of things that ‘make me cry’ about this. Not people implying I’m ignorant, or foolish and don’t understand the consequences of what I do. Nor people disagreeing with me, or calling me names, nor hacking my bank account. None of this pleases me, however. It would be odd that it should.

I would ask that in the future, if you want to comment on what I’ve written, please do not do so in a manner that seems disrespectful to the intellect you obviously have.

1 Like

Passive aggressiveness doesn’t work on me; not even if you write long posts of it.

Also, I am pretty sure this interesting digression and rehashing demonstrates quite nicely that you do, in fact, “have a dog in this fight”… several, actually.

Further, you seem to have grossly misread my post. “Ensuring it grows AS an issue…” is a reference to the political agenda that kicked this off, but yes, it is quite clear to me at this point that you’re happy to foment argument.

Finally, I can see now why it is that you so enjoy your forum status. Whatever trips your trigger, friend. (shrug)

Good to go. It’s about time something concrete happened to start moving these publishers towards ethical standards.

phydra, I have no idea what your problem with me is. I had no interest in arguing with you. You commented on my post and not in a mature way. I responded with irritation to your insulting tone. Instead of dealing with my points, you just keep being immature. Is it because you actually believe that I have some kind of special ‘status’? What would that be? I’d like to actually make some use of this.

the veneer of rationale debate often fades when one side has to concede, giving way to the insolent inner child. you’ll notice as evidence begins to mount which affirm the concrete beneficial consequences of gamergate, such as the intel story, for example, it does make some of the “neutral” people a little edgier because they have to accept that they were wrong on that count. ignoring it isn’t the solution. putting it in the spotlight and letting people hash it out is.

i think time and perspective will vindicate gamergate

1 Like

Perhaps so, 213, but it seemed personal on phydra’s part and I am at a complete loss as to what I might have done. :-/

This. I mean it’s already an off-topic issue (therefore correctly being in the off-topic category of course), not directly related to Kingdom Come.

Again, I would not have any issue with that. But that’s definitely something the moderators have to decide.

Perhaps this is related to Intel pulling ads to Gamasutra, perhaps not, but it’s still pretty childish (though not unexpected) behavior-

http://techraptor.net/2014/10/04/anti-gamergate-publications-blacklist-kingdom-come-deliverance/

If you like this game, now we have to work even harder to make sure the Team gets the recognition they deserve, so spread the news, because games media again are putting propaganda & censorship above their jobs.

Sure but it was also meant as a suggestion for possible future topics you might want to start about basically the same topic. Just my opinion. :wink: