Is the physical copy DRM-free or have to be activated on Steam?

Im kinda worried about this, because I havent bought physical copy since like 2008 or something and I was used to the fact that they are DRM-free.

But I want this game bounded to my Steam account. Theres no difference between pirated version and DRM-free copy … :confused:

all physical copies bought in stores usually use some sort of drm or copyprotection. because copy protection is now useless and easily bypassed, they usually are supplanted by drm system such as steam.

Well, there are plenty of pirated “no-steam” games around the web, that’s not a problem exclusive for physical games, so i don’t see the problem.

I brought the digital version because i don’t have space in my shelves anymore! That’s a real problem haha

Distribution via Steam was confirmed long time ago.

1 Like

NEVER!

Whoever wants to pirate, he would pirate anyways no matter DRM or not! Every offline game has a cracked version, so your argument is invalid!

Why the hell you want us loyal gamers who actually bought Deliverance to suffer from this abusive nonsense called DRM?!?!
@warhorse please don’t use DRM on physical copies!

But no-DRM copy have the same value as the pirated version. Theres no difference, especially when theres no multiplayer.

And why do you hate Steam? I would agree with hating Origin and Uplay, but Steam is alright, sure it has its own problems , but also achievements, cards, lots of players, good prices, its safe to buy something, hour count etc.
When game doesnt have achievements its not pushing me to play it and earn as much trophies and achievements as possible and seeing how many hours I spent is also plus, thats why Im buying my old DRM free games on Steam again

3 Likes

I agree that DRM is not really useful against piracy.
Theres always a way to download a game and not pay for it.

I dont know what DRM exactly does and how it will appear if warhorse decides to use it. And I’m not into the game industry so I dont know all the pros and cons but I think non-DRM games are much more player friendly.

2 Likes

Yeah but why force someone to use steam, just for playing this game. I use steam as well, but if someone doesn’t it’s his choice I think.

2 Likes

DRM roughly translates as digital rights management, but actually there is better translation - digital RESTRICTION management!
The ugly thing is that DRM is morally illegal by default - why the heck someone will restrict the way I want to use my legally own property?! Lets say, if I was a pirate, I would have downloaded the game from any torrent site and still won’t pay for it. Even better, from a pirate site I would have gotten a cleansed, DRM-free version which I could enjoy offline without using any scumbag mediator online programs like Steam.
But instead, me and many more like me decided to actually buy Deliverance TWO years before release in order to support the developers and actually help making this beautiful game. Why punish me and everyone else here for our good deed with implementing DRM which have negative effect on legally owned copies ONLY and have nothing (I mean NOTHING) to do with piracy as the game will be pirated no matter DRM or not?!

And so it’s devs choice to use Steam and if someone got problem with it, he can wait if some “DRM” free (i do not consider Steam as DRM, it’s just an awsome game library for me) version will appear or do not play it at all.

Milions of players using Steam just to play CS or TF, they dealt with it, so everybody can with KCD :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Come on folks, the digital rights management is not that devil-ish as you wished iot to be, as you are the customer instead of the creator… If you make stuff, create things over some years and finally finished it to the point of ‘perfection’ (in case of games, I know ‘perfection’ is kind of idealism…) you really do want to share your creation with many others - but you also want to be paid for your yerars’ work. Who pays you as a developer? IN the end, it’s your product’s publisher (in most cases) who now want to “have the money back” via selling as many products as possible.

So, from an economical view, I totally understand the decision to use DRMs…
Also, I experienced some DRMs to be quite the ‘PITA’… But I never been hating on serial numbers, for example… (Tagès was one of the more … annoying DRM systems on the software side, with an interesting approach on the ‘hardware side’, though…)

Nowadays “pirated” versions can be put to good use, as much as I dislike them. “If you can’t beat it, take it over”… They can be utilized to advertise the actual game, especially in modern times were the “demo-version” has almost vanished …

But there is no oure good nor evil. Remember, everything has it two aspects - THe ‘good’ and ‘bad’ solely depends on your own perspective…

Personally, I backed the dev’s vision, not the morally ambiguous DRM issue.

More importantly, we backers are not the sum total of the final market.

We may have assisted in the game’s creation in exchange for some small recognition but the end product will still have to sell many, many, more units on the open market. DRM, as much as we all hate it, still provides some measure of protection to the publisher.

This is our reality and one I accept, if grudgingly.

Admittedly, CDP has proven on multiple occasions that DRM is counter-profit.

@Dekssan and @rustypup,

Yah! Such are opinions (if not arguments) which I like.
Steam is far beyond being a sole engine or DRM (which it even wasn’t in the first place). It is amidst a remarkable evolution, no matter if you like it or not - Steam has some good arguments on its side, as well as bad arguments, as I said, good and bad is pure perspective.^^

As for going back to the original question:
So far as I do remember, the Horses were quite happy to be able to make a deal with Steam/Valve as a publishing platform, which do seldomly restrict or “force” the development team to anything hastily (at least, I guess…^^") - but again, as far as I remember, the Horses did not say that Steam would be the only way of publishing… (And now we are getting into the Realms of Rumour: However, it could be possible, that Steam/Valve demands the physical copies to require an installed version of Steam + account itself. But that depends on the contract the parties agreed on.

However - if you want to continue a discussion about how evil DRM is (which is it not by nature) [join this slightly older fred][1]…
If anyone has sth. back on the actual topic, like a statement of the Horses towards the DRM/Steam question? I feel like something had been said in a video or written in a post on this forum onto that… but I can’t actually find it yet… ~_~

Edit does ask: CDP?
[1]: PC Retail Version and DRM

DRM won’t help anyone.
Deliverance with DRM protection will be cracked as easily as Deliverance without DRM protection, I guarantee it! Whoever wants to pirate Deliverance will do it no matter DRM or not.
Digital RESTRICTION management has a very negative impact on regular buyers ALONE and it does NOT protect anything from piracy!
DRM is nothing but an US imposed b*llshit which interferes with free usage of legally owned software and causes a lot of issues to the owners. DRM won’t help against pirates and no one (company, organization or person) could convince me that DRM does any good. FACT!

well except if you read the terms and conditions you never own jack shit basicly on the vast majority of games they have some crafty TOC.

Well guys, we totally understand your fears. But it’s waaaaaaaaay too early to say anything about using DRMs or not. After we more or less finished the game and made all contracts with possible distributors we can give some statement. But this is future talk. We just don’t know yet.

@TobiTobsen
thank you for clarification!
I sincerely hope you will stay clear of DRM, but nonetheless there are more important things regarding a PC game.
By the way, I want to congratulate your team for last video update, which shows promising upgrade to Deliverance.
Keep up the good work guys!

1 Like

I think all (or atleast most) of us understand this but for many gamers, myself included, DRM makes all the difference in the world (Steam included). Therefor, even though it is indeed very early, it is important to remind the developers about this issue.

1 Like

As Tobi alluded to, Warhorse may be required to employ DRM depending on the terms with their distributors.

I personally favor the CD Projekt Red model of releasing games DRM-free counting on the quality and extras that come with the purchased game to overcome piracy. As stated above, any game with DRM will be cracked, that’s just a fact. So I say (just my opinion) go DRM-free and score some points with gamers who get upset by that security measures.

1 Like

Why are some people concerned about Steam?

Steam is great…

1 Like