July Update: Home Sweet Home

Here’s the latest update!

The part on alcoholism is pretty amusing but also a good look at the type of thought that’s going into something as simple (in other games) as “get stronger, have a fuzzy screen” - even if that may be the end result here.

There’s one fact that’s intriguing:

In the end, then, I compiled the functioning of fast travel

What I’m wondering about is how this fast travel looks like. I like the one for Mount and Blade where you have a fast forward and you see what’s happening in the surrounding area. This also applies to sleeping and waiting which is giving you a chance to wake up or stop waiting in case you see something interesting appearing on the map. I’d really love that kind of feature, as it is barely seen in games nowadays. Even Skyrim just skips the time until some malicious event harms the character.

1 Like

It was a pretty decent update. I think it’s great that Dan and the WH crew continue to provide us backers and the KCD community with regular communication; even for something as simple as discussing the mechanics of consuming alcohol. Which in itself is a very relatable topic after all :smile:

I too am curious. Such an important and generally underrated gameplay function - I’m thinking they might just go the old horse and cart, or even something as simple as fast travel way points for example.

But @YuusouAmazing you do raise a good point about the random events… that’d be cool to see implemented within KCD. You hop on a cart for fast travel from one place to the next, and at random *what if you’re held up by bandits? Those types of random encounters could work quite nicely if not overdone.

Just a thought…

I really like the fact that we keep getting these monthly updates. Its good to see all the work that goes in to things like alchemy and drinking. Im interested to see how drinking ends up working because of how much time he spent on it. Id like to see you lose some control over your charector like what he says and does if you drink to much. Im looking forward to some drunk bar fights warhorse lol.

The FastTravel news wook me by surprise. i thought to remember that there wouldnt be any FT
i actually dont think a game like this needs fasttravel. A horse should be enoth. the only FT i ever liked was the one from Gothic 1 and 2. where u where bound to rune portals. it didnt screw with emmersion. Every other FT, no matter if rpg or mmo / mmorpg screwed immersion. (exept wow. and that wasnt FAST at all :slight_smile: )
Having a autotravel like a caravan or a cart where one can relax or have a drink is good but a loading screen? please not.

anyway i like the booze story. and it raised a question. does the character have moods wich get amplified by booze. Than would a moody drunk char get penalty charisma where a happy char gets a boost. and mood swings become more likely? … dreaming… anyway the game will become AWSOME i can FEEL it!

another good read full of interesting insight into game development. thoguh why are programmers frustrated with minutia of game design? don’t they know the end result will be some of the deepest,more immersive experience ever made? if i was programmer there, i’d be enthusiastic 24/7

Yes this news give us warm and cold.
But please if you have to simplify the alcohol effect, don’t make it increase the strength, give malus instead.
And it would be great that the NPC has the same effect as us. As a bard, I would make them drink and them stole them money or stab them, discretely…

If you were a programmer I wouldn’t buy it because I would be afraid that some of your comments in the code would make it accidently into the final game…

And about enthusiasm: Seems like you never worked 8 hours deeply concentrated on one topic and then get home to entertain your wife and kids. Either your mind will take a break or you as a person will take a break… or simply break. There’s something wrong in the big business regarding getting into the gaming industry. Yes, they want to see enthusiasm but they want to pay nothing or very low for that.

My guess is: you wouldn’t be enthusiastic 24/7 for over a month.

i’d be manic 24/7 for the entire year making the game. what are the stakes. either the best medieval rpg ever, or go back to the riffraff that currently dominates the market :slight_smile:

and why won’t you buy a game because of “comments” in the code. that’s like not buying a book because it uses a bad word in 500 pages. :slight_smile:

The Witcher had a really good drunk effect :slight_smile: It would be fun to have all these types of alcohol and alcohol stages, but I think it’s probably something you can put aside for now and pick up later in betas.

1 Like

yep, not only that, i almost never consume alcohol in most rpg since i feel i have no reason to do that (i feel that the temporary stat boost and the annoying fuzzy screen are not worth the money), while in the witcher since there are informations or quests etc you can get only drinking with other people i had some very funny situations, i still remember the drunken fight with the echinopses which infested the merchant garden in the outskirts of vizyma or the old hag who didn’t let me enter in Shani’s house because i was too drunk after the night spent with Dandelion… not to metion the quest in flotsam when you wake up naked and with a new tatoo and you have to discover what you did the previous night lol…

1 Like

Yup, that’s 2 votes for The Witcher style effect!

1 Like