Landscape of Medieval Bohemia

I’d like to second MJJ - I’m finding these threads about historical minutiae fascinating! I’m in no sense a medieval historian, so I appreciate experts and enthusiasts offering their knowledge. Thanks to everyone for contributing to my learning!

I think the usual English translation would be “A three-field system of agriculture” or “Three field crop rotation”, so the direct literal translation is ‘good’.

A ta mapa ukazuje zastoupení smrku dnes?

Ta mapa právě ukzaje zastoupení smrku tak, jak by to vypadalo dnes, ale kdyby neproběhlo umělé zalesňování smrkem. Jinak aktuální stav je takový, že ta mapka je skoro celá zelená, protože smrk je prostě všude. Více na tomto odkazu www.vesmir.cz/files/file/fid/4895/aid/7514 je to dvoustránkové pdf, kde je vše krátce popsáno. Nejsem žádný odborník přes lesnictví, jen mě příroda zajímá a často mě štvou monokulturní lesy. Jinak mě moc těší, že jste si příspěvku všiml a držim Kingdome Come palce. Já sám studuji animovaný film, tak si alespoň částěčně umím představit, jak náročné to celé je. Přeji pěkný den a těšim se na hru!

3 Likes

I don’t have anything helpful to contribute, but I would like to say that this may be the single most informative thing that I have ever seen in the forums for a game in development.

With resources like this, how can this game be anything BUT amazing?

Yeah… Its not going to be just game, its gona be simulation of time travel to old Bohemia.

1 Like

…“a wood without pigs is like a ballroom without women”

As far as I can make out and simple logic, it seems to me its the sleeping quarter. Its made with clay or stone walls, so better isolated for temp changes, and higher of the ground so the lower level can be used for various uses as storage, oven, workshop, etc. The living area is the lower part where people were during the day and ate etc. (not facts, just what I think it is.)

Hello, as I have read in some materials about medieval housing. What i mostly see is was that they had workshops/shops on ground floor, than storage areas (this is visible in Florence) that living quarters and on top floor servant quarters (as they had no elevators nobility didn’t want to walk too much stairs). In villages it depends but most houses had living room, anteroom where was open fire place (black kitchen) and storage room. Stock, Hay and Grain was kept behind houses in separate structures (later added as extension to house). As for the material it depends on area but villages had houses mostly made of wood, in towns stone or wood, clay.
For better comfort they were using wooden room casing in stone castles, mostly for women.