Longbows always strung?

I would also like to see this as a part of battle preparation.
But how to force a player to unstrung his bow? Should there be a time counter, so after a specify time period the quality of the bow begins to drop, similar to quality drop of food in the Beta?
Wouldn’t it be more realistic, if stronger bows have a stronger material fatigue?

supposing the player would have a choice.

Do you thinking about a automatism? Then would be the question about the time period, when the bow is automatically unstrung? I wouldn’t like it, if my bow would be automatically unstrung, just at the moment when I need it.

Well, the idea is not bad at all, I am also an Archer. But I think there are more imporant things in the game to develop. To make this happen is not as easy as it seems. You have to do the animations and some mechanics about it. This even does have a lot of influence into the game design, it is not done fast and easy.
I like the idea, but I think we should focus more on the core elements of the game.

4 Likes

yep, that is the easily guessed answer, right there.

I really like this idea as well. but maybe this is something for the mod-community? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Everytime you equip (or unequip) the bow you have to strung (unstrung).
If the animation last 3 seconds it would be good for the fights. Because of the preparation time, the bow wouldn´t be the ultimate weapon (for midle and short range).

+1, I love it.

what kind of fool would go to battle with unready bow? Thats just silly…

“Oh I need to draw my sword in the middle of combat for few seconds, lets unstring my bow so it doesnt deform itself in those 2 minutes” yeah right…

If you know you go into battle, you would be prepared,… yes!
If a cuman jumps out of a bush, you are not ready and the bandit has an advantage,… like in real life.

It´s just the same at the moment! If you change the weapon from bow to sword you have to wait (animation) till Henry puts it to his back. After this you draw your sword.
In real life your drop your bow and draw your sword in a half of a second(I think this was discussed in the forum).

The realistic way would be: You have time (won the fight),… you unsting the bow.
Or you need the sword badly in the fight,… drop the bow and get the sword. And after the fight you pick up the bow again (if you need).

4 Likes

While this is a nice thought towards realism, I don’t think it can (or should) be realistically implemented in game given development resources.

Would be a very labor intensive inclusion, and I doubt the animation would be satisfactory unless mocap was used, so unlikely it can be 3rd party mod either.

Allow me to share my humble opinion:
Aside from the amount of work it would take to implement, I think it sounds like a neat feature. I imagine a mechanic where bows start to gradually lose their power after a set amount of time. Perhaps it can regenerate some of it after a certain amount of time, but will need repairs to go back to it’s full power (if this is in anyway realistic). That way you have to be mindful about when you have your weapons out. Then again I feel it should be complemented by swords taking time to unsheath. I figure nobody walks with their sword out all day (no pun intended).

Its very unlikely that one would be able to switch out a sword for a bow if he has to put it on his back while an enemy chasing or coming at him

I say we should be able to have quick drop button or when in combat switching out a weapon should cause you to drop it for faster weapon switching

i would also like to point out that keeping a bow strung fpr more than an hour or two would be horribly damaging for the bow (it would get warped and lost all its power)

finally is there a weapon oiling system since there is a resharpening feature will we have the option to oil our swords and bowstrings to keep them good condition whille in storage

1 Like

also i saw a topic that was talking about the floaty compass things
who thinks it would be good to actually have a compass in your inventory that you can buy and equip

I also mentioned quick drop button in czech forum, but the answer was this is not intended to do. But should be possible for modders.

I must say am very happy I am not the only one who wants bow stringing animations. So for me it is definitely +1

Mostly focused on melee combat with a lot of combos for each weapon and not at least an animations for bows? If its not in core elements list, then put it there.

You can have several animations, for several kind of bows, with different speed. Will gladly help you with that;) Have several types of bows and know several stringing techniques.

Am sure players will definitely love to have such a thing in there.

Remember this, “if you not the best, be at least the first!” who implements this in a realistic medieval game.

Note: Still thinking what to put as stretch goal? Why not this?

Note2: A bow could be also a melee weapon, piercing one, just imagine pierce a horn nock into enemies eye:)

Noo… not the good bow… :sob:

1 Like

Why not? :smiley:

2 Likes

Troll? No dragon?? No, I think a troll post… LOL

I don’t think anyone would wield a bow without stringing it.
Stringing should just be part of “equip bow” animation, as if it was unstrung while in inventory. And maybe animated un-stringing while changing weapons.
But while in hands and visible, it should be strung.

To be honest, I don’t care about this at all. There’s realism and there’s obsessive-compulsive disorder.
I hope KCD will be a realistic GAME, not game-ish realism - i.e. ArmA series, which sounds fun until realize you’ve spent last 50 minutes just walking across landscape without anything interesting to even see and then die by single shot just to do it all over again

1 Like