Melee: Battlegrounds

Just thought this could do with a thread here, since it has a similar setting and could do with some Kickstarter camaraderie:

It’s another project looking at a realistic medieval setting, but with an emphesis on large scale multiplayer combat.

4 Likes

looks like mount and blade or war of the roses, wild swinging around as if it is actual combat.

Always looking at things positively and with an open mind, 213. I think everyone has access to your views on combat elsewhere, but it’s great that you’ve given it the best chance you’ve been able to.

There’s a actually disclaimer about the animations at the bottom of the Kickstarter page, but it’s true that they’re trying something different to Kingdom Come type combat, so it’s probably never going to fit your particular taste.

Actually, yes, it looks like MB mostly because it was a MB mod. Its just trespassing the barrier constructed by the warband engine, following that line mod to another standard. (Which was the one that made mb multiplayer alive for this long, servers are still kinda of full (60 ~ 70 players)

Looks interesting enough to follow, but just looks like another toy.

Looking forward to it :smile:

This really looks interesting and maybe i have to back this prosjekt

if history, authenticity and realism are your thing in regards to medieval warfare, armors, weapons, etc. i think you might want to stay away. some background information from my research:

[quote]Not supporting this one, Chadz the donkey is a huge troll, a horse
hater, and a horse archer hater, who places little import on historical
accuracy. He basically played favorite with classes (2 handers) leaving
everything else in the dust. I went there and guess what I saw? More
idiotic 2 handers, even though 2 handers were a very specialized weapon
that was pretty much flanking use only.
2 handers versus sword and
board/buckler means a dead 2 hander very soon, as any medieval fencing
dabbler can tell you. Not to mention horse archers were the killer
application of medieval times, but he nerfed them to unplayability so
his beloved 2 handers dont get shot silly. As a simmer I am dislike his
petty balancing took precedence over historical reality (did I mention
he loved to make fun of people who desired historical accuracy over
waving stupid 2 handers).
[/quote]

so looks like it’s going to be mount and blade-like. with melee weapons from all eras just thrown into the mix with armor from all eras

Yes, its an evolution of cRPG to an more open engine. That was more than obvious, and it is said. If you never played cRPG, please stay away from it

The game is set in the high medieval era and will contain nothing from later periods, so nothing from 15th century, for instance.

If you want to learn about c-rpg mod, you can download it for free, you don’t have to rely on hearsay.

This new project is not a c-rpg remake though, it has a very different focus - a realistic medieval setting. It also uses physics based combat and has a lot of other new features planned.

I don’t know why you feel the need to post on this topic if you don’t like this type of game. Take your vendetta somewhere else, it’s pathetic trying to smear a game you have no idea about and no interest in. The devs are hardworking people, trying to do something they believe in.

• “physics based combat”
  • not one minute into the video, and the guy walks around with a fully drawn longbow like it’s sunday evening.

Don’t get me wrong, this might be a fun game, but it does not look good enough to pay for it in advance. Ever since Mount&Blade many-many game came or will come out in the flailing-with-a-sword setting, and it might look good, naturally (when you love someting, the more is almost always the better), but there’s still too much CoD’s and too few ArmA’s of the genre out in there.
And yet if I still want to do some “competitive siege”, no strings attached, then I still own Warband.
All in all, not too convincing. But then again, I’m not the type who changes his mobile phone every year as well.

Who says it wasn’t Sunday Evening? =P

Bear in mind that the animations and combat mechanics are in very early stages, with two years of development to go. They’re the immediate focus after the close of the Kickstarter campaign, which has the team pretty busy.

If you remember that at this stage of Kickstarter, K:CD didn’t have ranged weapons, you can perhaps forgive the pre-alpha footage here, but of course, no one wants to force you to be interested. I’m just hoping anyone who would like to get involved and support the game doesn’t miss out. I’ve been following the project for ages and I know how serious these guys are about making an outstanding game.

Build Castles - Construct your own fortifications and castles… sounds good, until… with your team. Make sure you allocate your resources wisely, because building is only half of the fun…

Actually, ultimate sandbox city(fortress)-building it all the fun I need. Medieval version of Simcity or Caesar would be fun. MP or fighting is something beyond my interest…

Yeah, I’d play that too!

For the Stronghold game mode, it’s likely that some people will spend most of their time building, but it’s more like Age of Empires than Pharaoh or Caesar, as I understand it.

I´ll pass on this one - in regards of medieval melee battle in multiplayer I´m currently waiting for Bannerlords.

1 Like

Thank you all for the Informations about cRPG Mod for M&B

Well someone’s watching the project…

https://twitter.com/WarhorseStudios/status/536885610582388737

1 Like

First, I bow once more before the couple Yavouz !!! and all of you who have given us the wonderful Mount & Blade … now chug around on for 6 years all sorts of modders, without really presenting significant progress.
The “sandbox” everyone suddenly claimed for themselves - and did not understand what they mean (can).
After all, one must Melee: build Battlegrounds even castles - great if it works for restrictions. (What will be to prove). What we know at least since the simple Stronghold Kingdoms MMO works only up to the first cheat and the beginning of the account Hack’s. There are just too many assholes in the world.
What impresses me personally, is the cross-country team, the only way games are likely to arise in the future. How it would work with the copyright is beyond me, probably omitted to pay it, and looking up in advance with KS. As a creative person, I will not support such business models, because they undermine our profession. Wish the project but the best results

Zunächst verbeuge ich mich einmal mehr vor dem Ehepaar Yavouz !!! die uns und euch allen das wunderbare Mount & Blade geschenkt haben…auf dem jetzt schon seit 6 Jahren alle möglichen Modder herumjuckeln, ohne wirklich entscheidende Fortschritte zu präsentieren.
Auch die “Sandbox” beansprucht plötzlich jeder für sich - und hat nicht verstanden, was sie bedeuten (kann).
Immerhin darf man in Melee: Battlegrounds selbst Burgen bauen - toll, wenn es denn uneingeschränkt funktioniert. (Was zu beweisen sein wird). Was wir spätestens seit dem schlichten Stronghold Kingdoms wissen: MMO funktioniert nur bis zum ersten Cheat und dem Beginn der Account-Hack´s. Es gibt einfach zu viele Arschlöcher auf der Welt.
Was mir persönlich imponiert, ist das länderübergreifende Team, nur so werden Spiele vermutlich künftig entstehen können. Wie das mit dem Urheberrecht funktionieren soll ist mir schleierhaft, vermutlich verzichtet man darauf und sucht sich Bezahlung vorab bei KS. Als Kreativer werde ich solche Geschäftsmodelle nicht unterstützen, denn sie untergraben unseren Berufsstand. Wünsche dem Projekt dennoch die besten Erfolge.

Hi, I am Sinisa “ZImke” Vuckovic, Lead Artist and Historical Adviser in Melee:Battlegrounds, all the things regarding “history, authenticity and realism” are my department.
Since young age my entire life is revolving around history and archaeology starting with my father. It is one passion that I always cherished and researched. My favorite period of research is medieval period, and I can assure you, if there is anything related to that topic, I am the guy who can answer all your questions. I do not restrict myself to book knowledge only, with the access to museum artifacts and my own personal antiques collection I was able to reconstruct, examine and test out everything that was of my interest.
I am one of the founders of “historical reenactment” and “living history” in my country, and I am very strict in regards of authenticity, and always pushing hard to bring knowledge of middle ages to domestic and foreign public. With such goals my reenactment company has organised first international reenactment event in my country, been representing my country in the Times&Epoch festival in Moscow, Grunwald event in Poland, and many other events in surrounding countries. We have organized and our captain has led the first team that participated in “Battle Of the Nations” competition which was held this year in Trogir (Croatia), and was ranked high in it’s group (although without success against undefeated team of Russia, but not bad for first participation). Member of our group is official judge for Historical Accuracy in the HMBIA committee. He is just now at the HMBIA presentation of national teams for championship Battle of the Nations 2015 in Prague. At the moment my group is working on the project of reconstructing fortified medieval manor, which will take some years until we finish it. I will stop now, since my work regarding history related aspects is rather big, but I absolutely love every part of it.

For the first release Melee:Battlegrounds is set to 13th century. I will include as much cultures as I can (North/West/South/East Europe, Balkan States, Russian States, Mongol states, Eastern Roman Empire, Turkic tribes, Mamluks) and when the work on them is done, we will be moving on to next century. There won’t be centuries mixing in native game versions, but modders can do whatever they want, since we will be releasing entire SDK, tools used, and make “how to guide” to modders. As modders ourselves, this is very important to us, and we will support them in all ways possible.

The video looks crude because of one simple reason, it took us 2 years to finish the engine, and when it was done, we had just two months to finish everything needed for kickstarter video, that is very little time for such task. Then we assembled as much players of cRPG possible and instruct them what to do so we could make a video. I wish to give enormous THANK YOU and gratitude to every single cRPG player that supported us and played our mod during the 4 years, really, thank you guys!

So yes, what you see in video IS indeed very crude, models, textures, animations, props, buildings, so many programming related stuff that made fighting, rendering control and camera related things possible, it is all made in 2 months. So some items are using placeholder textures, animations are made in a fly as fast as possible, we barely slept during that period, and then the day came when video was entirely shot in-game, using “movie mode” made for that particular purpose (it basically records all actions on the map, and then just replays everything, so we can film the recorded players actions with camera in “fly mode”.

I also wish to express BIG THANKS to Warhorse studio for showing us support on Twitter, I am very humbled by this because you guys are our Indie Heroes!

Best regards;
Sinisa “Zimke” Vuckovic

8 Likes

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes