Modding and end-user development

You need to license CryEngine if you want to have access to the pure engine code, AFAIK.

The Cryengine SDK only allows you to create new projects, not alter existing ones. A special modkit needs to be created so that the program has permission to modify game files. This is why Crysis 3 is not moddable.

The license for CryEngine only refers to altering graphics, physics, etc. at engine level which I don’t think will really be necessary anyway as they can still be altered with scripts within the confines of the engine version Warhorse ships. You still have access engine code for game world elements though (player, camera, animations. Even the way the game saves can be altered).

1 Like

I think that support for modding as extensive as possible would be great. After all, games that can be modded a lot get older far slower and look at their popularity, especially in this genre, where creative people can make incredible plots and stories.

I hope we can have some input into the development of the mod tools when that comes around. Bethesda released the Creation Kit in beta but their channels for feedback were fuzzy at best.

I hope they will present proper documentation on the tools that they release, but they probably won’t have time for that so some of us fans will have to write the wiki pages for them and alike.

I love the modding feature, ive done it with mount and blade, skyrim and quite a few others.
Im just sad to say, my computer wont be powerful enough to handle this game and im going to feel quite left out.

so native ps4 version here i come

It’s not necessarily a bad thing though. Modding communities are generally self sufficient and document a lot of their own findings. The Minecraft modding community is a pretty good example. I’ll probably dabble with modding the game a bit, but who knows if I’ll ever have time to get really involved.

I’m buying a new powerful computer, because of this game. :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t think I’m rich, spolied or anything, I had to save up for it.

Yeah that’s true, but it would help the initial process to at least being pointed at where we can learn more about their tools, I also don’t know if I have time for modding it either, but it seems really interesting.

not to hi jack the thread. just going to reply back =)

I would have happily bought a new computer, but i have another child due in march (next month).
I have to like you know, play responsible and stuff

But if i was single with no kids…lets just say we would have reached the next stretch goal

1 Like

Ah, I see. Well congrats with the new child, and I hope you don’t get to stressed out :smile:
Actually the only reason for that I can afford this new computer was because I to all my luck found a job about three months ago, but now that also gives me problems with when I can try to research and mod this game. Anyways, I’ve been wanting a new computer for 7 years I guess? I kinda forget when I’ve wished for a new one for so long time but in the end of this month it should be a reality.

Congrats! I was only able to afford to back the project with as much as I did because of my age and current situation.

The modding community for Mafia built itself with no tools or documentation whatsoever, from the Data Xtractor to DCED and Capone. It was all made by modders, fans of the game. That’s what annoyed me with Mafia II when they said it was “too complicated for modders to understand”. That’s an actual quote from Denby Grace.

Thank you all for the congratulations!

Modders surprise day in and day out. There are some smart people out there, and im not one of them.
If there is a way, someone knows how to do it

This is really too soon to talk about. For example some tools we would like to publish are still under heavy development so we really don’t know the exact scale of the modding possibilities accessible to the community through our tools.
But you can always download CryEngine SDK (free) and take a look at what it does. Just imagine few more tools on top of it.

2 Likes

While I definitely agree it’s early to talk about implementation of modding, I remember that during development of Mafia II it was kind of assumed that there would be some level of access for modding even if we had to do it ourselves and in the end they blocked and patched modding capability out punitively.
I know that won’t happen here but I think it’s good to have a general understanding that the capabilities of modders have been greatly underestimated in the past (see Far Cry’s map editors).

Well, definitely. Some modders are very skilled and clever people, hands down, and they can be completely OK even without official tools (GTA4). I am just talking about capacities of our tools. This is still one big unknown.

Yeah, just give us a shout when you guys have time to think about what can be released and we can chime in then.

Let’s see what Warhorse wrote on the homepage of their kickstarter campaign:

[quote=]We are using Cryengine to power our game. […]

On top of that, we are developing our own proprietary RPG-MAKING TOOLS for easy development of this and any future content, including custom support for game design, animations, branching dialogue, clothing definitions, etc. We plan to release these tools to the modding community.
[/quote]

Should answer many question about what will be moddable in the game. Since we will most likely be able to use Warhorse’s own tools we don’t have to rely on the Cryengine SDK alone… :wink:

Yup what Yahkem said, i have good feels about this game :slight_smile: