Next Strechgoal: Polearms?

So, Warhorse does have some trouble about Polearms, like the ones we have seen in trailers.
(And I am only volunteer moderator here, not a developer! this is not an official warhorse topic!)

To imlement Polearm is not easy, they are long and unwieldy. To make them suitable in a fight is not easy. And this long staffs gain some other problems, how would you handle them in a building? What about narrow places?
In most games weapons are abstract, and do not differ from other weapons in context of modeling. But warhorse has greater ambitions, warhorse does not have paper-armour and random hitboxes, warhorse uses a pysical correct system and this makes polearms very difficult to implement.
This is not laziness, its a challenge!
Nevertheless:

Polearms were important during this time, there were cheap to produce and easier to handle as swords. Polearms were main weapons during that period of time and even more common than swords. They were like guns in a modern war.

And there is even another reason for polearms. Horses!
Knights on horses were very strong, and we will see them in game. This may be the first time since mediaeval time we could see a proper horse attack! In old movies horses attack infantry troops in a wrong way, they approach on enemy infantry, stop and use handweapons. but this is wrong, a knight would be very vulnerable if he would stop.
horse attacks were fast, knights uses their kinetic energy, the power and mass of the horse in their attack and the only way to stop them would be polearms. This is to dangerous at reenactment and even movies does have problems with this.
Polearms are not only the most common weapon of this time, they are like anti-tank weapons. Their tactical value of Polearms is important in a battle, and so Polearms are important in game like Kingdom Come.

I would even favour to wait a longer time to see the game finished than a Kingdom Come without polearms. They are a very unique weapon in game, because they are difficult. But Warhorse is not known for taking the easy way!

What is your opion in the community, would you like to see polearms as a new stretchgoal and maybe wait even longer? Or do you think its not important? Maybe you think in an even different way about it? And what can the team say about the problem and their attempts to implement polearms? @Hellboy, @TobiTobsen or other devs?

This thread can not make a decision about this topic, and I can neither but it can be a place of discussion and exchange.

18 Likes

Just imagined a guy with a polearm entering building. Polearm getting stuck in the door, flying unconrolably out of his hands. Guy puts on WTF face.
Aren’t they a bit impractical in 1on1 battle? They could be limited only to mass battle events in the game. So no problems should happen in a complex environment.

make a option you can’t go inside with them and you can leave them at the door.

2 Likes

I don’t really care about poelarms and I don’t want to wait longer because of them. I also think that making it as a stretch goal wouldn’t solve anything, since this doesn’t seem to be money issue, but technical one. Another thing is that very few people are backing the game at this point, so no reasonable amount of money would be reached before the game release.

The last thing and the main reason why I don’t care about polearms is that it simply isn’t practical and realistic weapon for a player. You are supposed to be someone who is traveling alone across the “world”. Traveling with polearm would be really weird.

3 Likes

Yes, but its not only about player weapons, polearms neither will be NPC-Weapons as well. And I think this is sad. In my opionon polearms are very important for gameplay. But I understand your point very well.

1 Like

they are basicly long range swords.

3 Likes

a gross misrepresentation. if you want to make an inconsequential and simple combat system, you can do it like just a long sword, but war horse is more about quality over quantity.

2 Likes

You do know they’re already adding polearms, right? The reason we don’t see any other weapon yet is cause it’s in Alpha.

You won’t be able to use polearms, they’ve stated this earlier. Because of time/costs, its a whole lot more finicky to sort out than the other weapons.

There are mentions it might be brought in for later acts however.

3 Likes

Sadly, this is not true. A weasel always know more than other people do.

I have several rescources that say there will be no polearms in the game, but warhorse don´t like this topic for obvious reasons. They don´t hide it, they are honest, but they are also not so noisy about it. Its on minute 14:00

And @SerCabbage is right, this is nothig new, no news. Warhorse say from beginning that they have some doubts on their ability to implement polearms.

They are trying, but it seem we will not see polearms in act I, so I decided to make this thread to gain some pressure, because diamonds are done under pressure… :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s as though a thousand spearmen suddenly cried out in terror… and were suddenly silenced…

3 Likes

I literally have no idea how to reply to a Star Wars reference. :joy:

As for the polearm thing, I can understand flails not being implemented, but polearms? That eliminates ahlspieces, bardiches, Bec de Corbins, bill hooks, boar spears, corseques, fauchards, glaives, guisarmies, halberds, lances, lucerne hammers, pikes, partisans, poleaxes, scythes, spears, voulges and war scythes from the game.

So infantry would be useless had they not already made it clear there would be no horse combat either. I can understand why they’d leave it out, but a majority of medieval combat is infantry and cavalry. That leaves the very dangerous archers (who I love and hate at the same time) and men-at-arms + foot knights. Still a great game in development, but (thankfully) now I can slaughter the archers without worrying about being mowed down by knights on barded horses.

3 Likes

Don’t forget javelins. you can stab with those too.

Not so gross. Longsword was used to train polearm, as that’s basically what half-swording is.

1 Like

I must say i’m pretty disappointed by this news, I was really hoping to use at least a spear. Surely that wouldn’t be too complicated for their combat system?

1 Like

As someone who only has a sophist’s knowledge of the subject, I would guess that the forms used in spear combat are common to most other polearm techniques. Thus if they were going to implement spears, they might as well go all the way and implement all the other polearm techniques as well. Regardless, yes, it is disappointing news (see Star Wars reference above ^^)

EDIT:
@Erico360 Dang it, I just about watched that whole video. Way too cool of a link :smile:

Well you can certainly slash effectively with a spear how ever the main thing you would want to do with it i assume would be stabbing. Pole arms like a bill hook or halberd would be more effective at slashing than spears.

1 Like

I agree, the billhook, halberd, and similar polearms (the bardiche is one of my favorites :smirk:) are going to be more effective with slashes compared to a spear, but what I’m saying is, regardless of the weapon’s effectiveness with an attack they all use similar - pardon the phrase - move-sets. The animations and combat mechanics for them would, I imagine, be quite similar. So if they were going to implement one, they might as well implement them all. Since, as far as we know, they aren’t going to be implementing one, they won’t implement any. Granted, all this is from someone with only a cursory knowledge of such things - if anyone has further insight (i.e. programming experience), please share. As I said, I’m a sophist :wink:

3 Likes

Pretty much this. While there’s going to be some difference depending on the form of the business end and other factors (IE, pike would be QUITE unique due to its length, as would the lance as it was designed specifically for the mounted charge, rather than melee), all polearms more or less use the same techniques. You might slash more with a halberd than you do with a spear, but otherwise both weapons are wielded the same.

3 Likes

Yep, i agree. I was imagining using polearms only in mass battles.
Keep up the great work Warhorse and literally can’t wait to get my hands on the next update.
C.

1 Like