Next Strechgoal: Polearms?

But still already most historic accurate game in history. Isn´t that funny? :smiley:
Even movies about mediaeval times are mostly worse…
I think a mod will help on allowing fighting with longswords on horseback, takes same animations as one handed swords but slower and more bulky. This can not be this difficult…

2 Likes

Maybe a greet from Re-Animated Series :kissing_smiling_eyes:
or let us wait on maybe… machinima :grin:
I think many good modders from morrowind/oblivion times will come back after release.

1 Like

Um yes there is, did you watch the latest trailer?

1 Like

They Have yet to show it in actual combat yet but they have demonstrated as posted above by Warriant.

Do you have a source for no half-swording?

1 Like

I agree with you - in a battlefield situation against a spear (pike) formation there is little you can do with a sword. But I still believe that in 1 on 1 fight the two-handed sword will hold an advantage over the pike and maybe over the spear. This of course in general depends mostly on the user, not so much on the weapons itself.

By the way, in that bloodbath picture, I don’t want a sword. I don’t want a pike either. I need a bow or a blackpowder gun and some away and high position - it is the best bet for survival :smile:

blackpowder gun… yuck! lol gotta get in there with a war hammer son ahahah

I think a spear would be easier to use against a inexperienced swordsmen, but a pro would probably get inside his defense and pound him. I feel pole-arms would be essential to use in any inf v cav scenario but it all depends on how it would work, could be fun with a sword.

TBH I’m manly devo because I wanted to do a Oberyn Martell and go full on ninja with a spear. Hopefully Act II or III might include them.

Not allowing longsword on horses surely isn’t an arbitrary decision.

1 Like

We want them of course! But it’s harder to implement than you might suggest. Because of already in this topic stated reasons… we need to come up with something indeed! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

May I direct your attention to the following screenshot?

2 Likes

in my opinion it wouldnt mind if only npc’s would use polearms, not the player, it would be cool to fight against them with our swords, axes and such

3 Likes

Well thanks!
So much new information makes false information sometimes…

Dear friend, I posted this same thing earlier (Post 38). @Jlyga_u_onacHa, post 35 and 38.

No polearms, no longsword-on-horse combat, yet lo! What have we here? :joy: No matter what they say, I’m with Warhorse 100% like most, if not all of us. If we can’t use polearms but everyone else can, so be it. If they can have horse combat but we can’t, well we’re fucked. :joy: I don’t know how any times in M&B:W I died from the Khergit Khanate mowing down every last one of my soldiers.

1 Like

Keep in mind that those are promo materials. Kind of “This is what we aim for.” Not necessarily “this is what we - without doubt - are able to achieve.”

3 Likes

I personally won’t mind if they aren’t in the game, it would be great to see NPCs using them, but I definitely wouldn’t be.

Polearms were simple to produce and use, and were far more common than any other weapon. Not having polearms in KC:D would be like not having assault rifles in any modern shooter.

Implementing them is simple, just do it as in Assassin’s Creed, where you can use them but can’t keep them, and must drop them to change to another weapon. They’d be fun to use and realistic to see used, and allow for many new combat techniques.

1 Like

The issue is they don’t think they will work with their combat system so your solution wouldn’t solve the problem.

2 Likes

I think that they could program an algorithm which automatically forces the player to leave his polearm at a weapon rack placed by any indoor space he tries to enter, or leave it simply upwards by the door.
Combine this with limiting Henry to carry only one polearm at a time and you have your solution for the indoor problem.

For any outdoor brawl which happens in close quarters (for example in a village alley) they could limit polearm usage very simple - when the player tries to use his polearm, Henry should say something like “it is very narrow here, I can’t swing this weapon” and he would be forced to drop his polearm and switch to a smaller weapon instead.

Other possible way (the best IMHO) is to go M&B style as it was suggested above - when it is too narrow to swing, Henry should hit the interfering object and fail his strike. This could very well lead to the weapon suffering some damage and it is a wonderful possibility not only for those polearms, but for any other weapon.

I don’t think the size of the pole arms are the issue though. The only issue Warhorse has mentioned is it not working with their combat system which seems centered around longswords.

1 Like

IMO polearms are so historically significant that they’re a must; I can’t imagine them not being in KC:D.

I guess I just don’t understand why they’re so hard to implement. What about adding new defense and offense animations to the combat system for when your opponent uses a polearm?

3 Likes

From what I know
The combat system is composed of CapMotioned animations for each interaction.

This means that you have to do whole set of animation for each combination of arms (sword vs sword, sword vs hammer, sword and shield vs sword etc.)

when it is longsword vs longsword it is relatively easy as you can find many pictures in old manuals and you can consult with swordsmen.
When it comes to spears I would say that there will be much fewer informations about combat: spear vs sword or other weapons.

And this is just a part of whol problem.

With sword vs spear you have to fight in completely different way, i would imagine that isntead of “Cut and parry” style you will try to manipulate the spear with your sword to take over its control so you can get closer.

This means that you would have to have different set of actions for your sword when facing spear.

That makes it completely separate fighting module.

I am kind of guessing here so correct me if there is a flaw in my thinking.

3 Likes