Nvidia presents today new Mawell GPUs

So, Nvidia presents today new Mawell GPUs (GTX 980 and GTX 970). Will someone change his/her GPU? :smiley:
BTW Nvidia today celebrating PC Gaming with 24 hours live stream called GAME 24 http://game24.nvidia.com/event

Iā€™m not impressed. I plan to change my GPU at the end of the year but I guess it will be an AMD R9 290X.

Maxwell GPUs have best efficiency ratio power consumption/performance.GTX 980 is about same performance like GTX 780ti but 980 have only 165W TDP and GTX 970 is about same performance like GTX 780 and have only 145 W TDP! So I think its great progress.But Iā€™ll stick with my GTX 780 GLH for another 4 years at least.

I donā€™t really care about power consumption in the enthusiasts market tbh.

It shouldnā€™t be the biggest goal to put a small engine in a sports car, donā€™t you think? :wink:

But it seems that the performance of the new nVidia cards is quite good. Iā€™m curious how AMD will react to that. I hope for price cuts for the current generation of GPUs in the next few months.

I think that cards are pretty powerful.And GTX 970 have great ratio price/performance cost only 399$.

Yeah, the price for the GTX 970 seems to be reasonable (much more than the price for the 980). Weā€™ll see how GPU prices develop until the end of the yearā€¦

I plan to upgrade my gpu as well and like @LordCrash I wanted an AMD R9 290 or 280X
but the new GPUs by Nvidia look very promising so I may reconsider.

Especially cause I was looking for a card with low energy consumption cause I only have a 400W power supply.

I will wait till the Oculus Rift comes out. Then I will throw away all my computer stuff, will have a depressed look into my wallet, shed some tears and buy something which is potent enough to handle Kingdom Come with 1k (or 2k?) per eye (two) at a minimum of 75 frames/s. I donā€™t know if the new NVIDIA cards can handle that ore if they are allready old crap till then. :frowning:

1 Like

I guess I need a new card at least for Witcher 3 next February. And for The Division later next year. :wink:

Witcher 3 have got a steamworks so best for you is GTX 970 btw I sell mine GTX 780 GLH and I will buy GTX 970 next week.Around 10% more power+ new amazing technologies like DSR wich can make 4K on 1080p monitor.

I was going to update my graphics card any way this christmas so this was a nice suprise that I love. I will probably get the 970

I guess you mean NVIDIA GameWorks, and not Steamworksā€¦ :wink:

While it is very likely that Witcher 3 might run better with a NVIDIA card itā€™s not the only game I want to play with it. I play a lot of games and Iā€™ll probably buy the card with the best performance/price ratio on a broader scale at the time.

Downsampling is nice but a single 970 isnā€™t powerful enough for that. At least not if you want to play the newest games on ultra settings.

nope. another gimmick. my videocard from 2 years ago runs everything fine. they just want you to spend money needlessly on new bigger numbers.

Andā€¦the ultimate expert is speaking again.

Did you know that gaming itself is ā€œgimmickā€? And the term ā€œneedā€ itself is highly subjective. Could you just for one time in history on this board stop trying to sell your own subjective opinion as objective fact? Thanks.

Says he in response to a spamvert on a gaming forum?

This whole thread is a crime against common sense.

Also, nVidia sucks duck eggsā€¦ I thinkā€¦ as a console gamer numbers are scaryā€¦

Still keeping my GTX 780ti.