Old furniture in game

Hi,
you write that you want to make a realistic game and you’re happy when people of different professions advising “as it appeared in the Middle Ages.” I have a profession manufacturer of furniture, and I know that the furniture particularly poor in some detail was not very nice.

That might help, insight into the details of the structure of medieval furniture.
Perhaps the very joints used as "merlons " (see img link) is a small thing but for authenticity time, nice detail.
Sorry for bad English, translated by google transtlator.

IN CZECH language

Ahoj,
píšete že chcete udělat realistickou hru a vy jste rádi když vám lidé různých profesí radí “jak to vypadalo ve středověku” . Já mám povolání výrobce nábytku, a vím že obzvlášt nábytek chudých lidí v některých detailech nebyl moc pěkný.
Tak by vám mohlo pomoct, náhled do detailů konstrukce středověkeho nabytku.
Třeba se velice používaly spoje jako “ozuby” (viz. img link) je to drobnost ale pro autentičnost doby, pěkný detail.
Sorry za špatnou angličtinu, přeloženo přes google transtlator.

12 Likes

Wonderful idea! This will add texture to the game.

Nice, I like your work. Especially the swallow-tail connection … It’s build to last.
Do you have a website?

This is no me work :slight_smile: but we did a similar Chair in the school of , here is are marked with the red links which are on the furniture
Me work

That looks solid. Do you have some examples of medieval furniture to share with us?

I no make medieval furniture, I can advise you and say made her opinion or experience. But the medieval furniture I’ve never done. Only I know about yaks were trends in medieval time

By yaks you mean the swallow- or dovetail joint, right?

Box joint (left) vs. dovetail joint (right)

Hmm this is nice work, If you use the dovetail (COGS) joint or Box joint. Dovetail is I think better but more complex.
I guess you are from czech rep … even speak Czech for better pronunciation.

Tohle je věc, která bude konstrukční, spoj v levo je otevřený malo pracný, ale je to vidět ale taky víc pevný, než ten v pravo - polokrytý.
Ten je zase víc pracný ale není to tolik vidět, tak bych ho použil pro dražší nábytek. Ten první samozřejmě pro levnější, vzhled tolik nehraje roli.
Nicméně je i spoj krytý uplně ale je nejpracnější a nejhůř drží, takže nemusíte si myslet že ve středověku tohle bylo vidět na každem nábytku. Dodnes se je učí ručně žáci na školách aby se naučili pracovat s materiálem.

Ale je možné je dnes už dělat stojem (abyste si nemysleli že se už nedělají vubec) ještě za komunistů byli celkem používané, ale už vyráběné strojem.
Našel jsem celo kryte ozuby (dovetail joint) ale byla to fuška je to málo používané a už ve středověku myslím taky, ale nejsem historik, nevím to jistě.
dovetail joint

Osobně jsem na rozpacích jestli to nedá příliš práce, pokud ne dento detail určitě potěší každeho stoláře :sunny:
Tohle jsou pěkné kousky kde by to stálo za to

Haha … no, I’m not Czech but I do appreciate woodwork.
Using Google Translate I could get your message and the dovetail joint is the weaker one of the two (less surface contact), but is definitely more beautiful in appearance.

The pictures were taken from a website for reference; https://woodgears.ca/dovetail/dovetail_vs_boxjoint.html.

Dovetail joint broke first …

Dovetail joint are better because when stress is disconnected only in one direction, it is a structural advantage. As shown in your picture, devetail joint did not open completely.
It depends where it applies.

If it was not open Dovetail joint half-sheltered, he would be doing better. Figure compares one connection at a disadvantage, bad test.

Interestingly, this connection was used for the coffin of Pope John Paul II while he was buried recently.

*Treysceusec -Why do you come here this?

*Rangnar- are you grafic programator?
It will be in the game this furniture?

Yes it is, but it’s too little detail to make those dealing with colic graphic.
It will not even see