Owning Property / Player Housing or Stronghold

Afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.

I am somewhat new to the project, and was curious as to whether this topic had been answered, discussed, or otherwise dealt with on this fine forum. As this is aiming to be both a realistic and entertaining medieval RPG, I was curious whether there were plans for players to be able to purchase, construct, or own a house, estate, or even castle.

The benefits of such an area would be most excellent, especially if it came with the ability to customize, upgrade, or other such things. It could serve as a place for trophies of your past campaigns, a place to show as a sign of your rising status and wealth, or even the focus of the defense of a siege.

What are you fine people’s thoughts on this matter? Thank you kindly!

1 Like

Well OK there are a few things I think you might be holding as misconceptions. This isn’t your traditional sandbox do-whatever you want title. It has a set character with a set backstory and a set plot line.

There are many exciting looking open-world elements…but the story is still being told as a set narrative. So since the main player is the son of a blacksmith, the answer to your question is no (sadly). We have been told that the player will not be owning a castle or property, etc. There will be places to stay/sleep/live…but we wont be purchasing or owning homes.

1 Like

If you are new, you have to search and/or try to read the forum… This exact question has been answered here and in the KS FAQ (you shoul read at least that…).

Strange “TheLoreSeeker” i was pretty sure you could have an house :confused: sad

You’ll have a house but its only where you go to sleep for example.
Why does everyone wants to have property? Whats so good about owning a house or purchasing new houses… I’ts not about buying houses (besides thats not realistic at all) its about the experience, about the story and the atmosphere of a medieval setting. I think its much more exciting to explore the world (not stay in one of your 5 houses) and to see the beauty in little things you come across.
My opinion

@janfo
I understand where the people who want a simple place to display their trophies and gear are coming from… I don’t necessarily need a castle but a simple village house would be nice.
But personally I hope theres some kind of camping system for setting up a bedroll/campfire in the wilderness. Because trying to explore the world while having to go back home to sleep every few days would be… not ideal.

@Thecnoboy
I know there is a place the player will live in the game. They’ve said as much… I just don’t think you own it.

1 Like

Shelter and respectively property are basic human needs because we’re territorial animals. Being able to acquire land and property in games is just a projection of this need and also one more way of building immersion. People want to buy houses because they want to choose and not just be assigned to one. Choice is immersive.

I for myself are content with being assigned a house, but I would like it better if you’d first have to earn it and would not have access from the start. That’s probably how it’s planned anyway.

While purchasing and furnishing houses can be lots of fun, it seldom goes well with the story. And the story is paramount here.
What I would like to see instead is a questline that would allow the player to call a place his home and grow fond of it, even if it’s only for a limited time:
The lord: "There’s an old ruin in the northern woods that one was a proud strongold. God willing it shall serve its purpose once again against the coming tides of war. Go Henry, my loyal and proven squire, rebuild it for me!"
Then the player would find the ruin, clear it of bandits, hire workers, purchase material (wood, nails and bolts), oversee the repairs, hire an engineer, drive away bandits, solve the case of stolen material, hire a new foreman, solve a workers’ dispute, defend it against Sigismund’s troops… the questing possibilities are endless. And all within bounds of the story.
In the end you would have to hand it over to your liege, but keep a strong emotional connection to that place. You would always be happy to come back and God protect anybody against your wrath should they ever burn it down.
I know it’s probably far beyond the original scope of Act I, but the game doesn’t end there, does it? :wink:

1 Like

I’d accept a quest like this. Especially if you have to hire staff.

No. Please reas the game FAQ.

The player’s character is going to have a place to stay and live, but you will not be able to buy and sell real estate.