Performance Issue with latests Beta - or is this normal?

Hi All,

I installed the game today (27.06.2016) and tried it out. I was very sure that my system should run the game at least @ 60fps.
But I usually have around 30fps with extreme stuttering every 5-10 seconds.
I run the game in the custom settings where every setting is maxed out.

My system specs are:
Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
Intel Core i7 x980 @ 6x3.33GHz
Zotac GeForce GTX 980 TI Amp! Extreme (usually @ 1400MHz)
24GB of RAM

Running the game from an 7200rpm HDD (no SSD)

So my questions are:

• is this usual?
  • is my system generally not capable of running the game smoothly?
  • is the disk the source of the stuttering or could this even be observed when using SSDs?

Another Problem:
The game crashes after some minutes of play -> I am not sure what the source here is, I try to investigate …

I read in the forum that other people also have such problems but these post are mostly older and may not reflect the current beta version?

BR,
GĂĽnther

P.s.: Is there a way to find out the current beta version I currently playing? Perhaps you could make it visible in the game menu. Otherwise it is really hard to determine in a thread about what version it is being talked.

Yours seems a bit lower than I’d have expected. and unstable too…

I have a very old 4 core, 4 thread i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz and a GTX970, and see around high 30s to low 40s.
The older (March) version gave around 25 fps.

Both at highest standard settings, fps counter on, and 1080p on a GSync monitor (which supposedly helps a bit with tearing & stutter). Old style 7200 HDD for Win x64 disc, USB 3.0 HDD for the game & data drive.

Image quality seems to degrade more at lower settings than with the earlier Beta - significant texture streaming/LOD issues on certain walls very noticeable at anything other than the highest setting. This doesn’t look like it is working as designed though as generally IQ remains high apart from these few defects.

Nope, that is nearly impossible right now. The game is not properly optimized yet. It is still in development.

So is it usual? Yes.
Is your system generally not capable of running the game smoothly? Your system is capable of running the game smoothly, but just not yet.
Is the disk the source of the stuttering or could this even be observed when using SSDs? Good question about the stuttering…

If you are able to switch the subtitles to other languages, you have the newest version of the Beta.

1 Like

It may not be desirable to max out every setting either.

I (briefly) played around with some of them and found that near objects would sometimes be culled if many objects were in view if the settings were too high. This may be part of the cause for instability too.

Hi,

I understand, and already thought so when I read in the forum that others have also issues too.
By the way, I now played for some time and the game didn’t crash :blush:

Yes the stuttering is indeed very strange…

Yes I am playing the game with German subtitles, so it should be the latest version. :slight_smile:

BR,
GĂĽnther

1 Like

Hm this is very strange, since I should have the latest version running and can barely reach 30 fps. But I think since the game is not optimized now, that different graphic cards behave different even they are faster then the card compared to.

There are however to differences in our settings:

• I am playing on a 16:10 monitor with 1920x1200 (slightly more pixels to be calculated)
  • I am playing with all settings maxed out to their respective maximum (using custom in graphics detail setting)

But I also played a little with the settings and the strange thing was, that it nearly makes no difference in speed when changing to “high” or “medium” or “low”. In the game menu this results in 30 fps when all is maxed out and 35 fps on “low” settings.

The only thing I have generally disabled is the motion blur.

the game runs for me like this, i think thats normal https://vimeo.com/164946943

Hi,

exactly! Thats the same stutter I expirience. What FPS did you reach - you haven’t activated the FPS counter in the video.

Thanks!

The low FPS is quite normal but that stuttering is strange, I will open a ticket:
http://support.kingdomcomerpg.com/issues/421

Hi,

ok thanks! I’ll help if I can, just tell me what I should do or test. Or what further information you need.
Yes the low FPS are no big deal when playing - 25fps is usually enough for KC:D for testing, but the stuttering makes it, at least during fights, nearly unplayable.

BR,
GĂĽnther

Hi guys, this is my first post on here, bought the game yesterday.

I’m having the exact same problem on my system, very low fps (± 30), almost constant stuttering and crashes.
It doesn’t really matter if I switch between 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 (which is my native res). Only like 2- 5 fps difference.

CPU: Xeon X5670 6-cores @ 4Ghz
RAM: 12GB 1600Mhz
GFX: NVIDIA Geforce 980Ti 6GB
GSYNC monitor.

Thats acutally quite good for the actual version of the Beta. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.
If this is actually quite good and indeed normal at the moment than so be it. I guess it will be better after some optimizations.

Also, is there anywhere a post with release notes on what has been added/changed/fixed/known issues somewhere available to the people who back this? I couldn’t find it.

We don´t have detailed patch notes. It was simple like:

• Localization subtitles.
  • Some bugfixes.
  • A bit of optimization.

Hi,

could you also achieve this ±30fps during the night? Because with my system (see above, but basically also a 980Ti with 6GB) the FPS are dropping under 30fps to about 25fps. But this could be due to the additional lights (@ the military camp). I also noticed, like you do, that changing the settings have very little impact. I have only 5fps difference between all settings to lowest end and all settings to highest end @ 1920x1200.

Do you also have this wired stuttering issue some of us experience?

Another question in the round (also targeted towards Warhorse): did anyone find a setting of the game where I can minimize the stuttering - if there even is one - most likely not …

I must say I haven’t played at night YET but the frames do drop occasionally and sometimes a little higher so it’s between 25 - 33. Mostly around 30/32.

I don’t have constant stuttering but more like stuttering when turning around or after walking a few meters.

Thanks for the update on release notes. Hope there will be more updates soon :slight_smile:

Ok I see. FPS numbers from your side when playing at night would be very interesting. On day I have drops down to 28 and max 32.

I have also stuttering when I do fast turns, but despite of these I also have the stuttering when walking straight along a path or so …

But regarding the comments in the above created redmine ticket this seems to be normal and the reason is not optimized code yet. At least I understand it this way. So I think there will be a cure for it :wink: … hopefully sooner the later …

i think you guys should just calm your tits and wait for release :smiley: try placing the game on a SSD for faster texture loads. the fps drops at fast camera turns is becouse it loads the textures behind you each time you turn. it can be that behind you actualy nothing works, I noticed this by standing next to the windmill and the wheel shadow is spining on the grass, its kinda beautifull, but when you turn around in an ange like the mill is behind you but its shadow is front of you, then the moving shadow of the mills wheel will stop, becouse the game dose not render the wheels animated or somrhing when its behind you

1 Like

It’s on a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD and my graphics card has 6GB memory so that shouldn’t be the problem.
But I guess it’s just that it needs more optimization…

Yes the game needs optimization.
I played around a little with the settings and found out that the main cause of the severe stuttering is the setting of the object distance. I have all settings to very high and only the object distance slider @ the default value --> i have very low and very short stuttering (barely noticeable). When also keeping the other two sliders to its default settings there is even NO noticeable stutter at all, even not on fast turns.
The drawback however, are ugly popping-up objects when moving through the world (worst of course when moving fast on horesback)
So I think there might be some problem with the data streaming in the background, since when you increase the object viewing/loading distance, you of course, more or less, increase the amount of data need to be loaded in the background by the power of 2.