Pet peeve - the carrots

Immersion is great but we forget all the time that overall what life was like in 1403 and 2014 are entirely different, to the extent that a 100% recreation or simulation of that world would be impossible.

Hey, think about, it will be possible to mod this game. So even if there will be orange carrots in the final game, there will be soon an ā€œno more orange carrotsā€ mod. To change the color of a vegetable will be no problem at all, so donĀ“t worry about it. :wink:

1 Like

well iā€™m gonna have to disagree with their line of thinking on the carrot issue. i think making it different colored could highlight the difference between our time and their time. just little details.

i wouldnā€™t want them to go out of the way to make it familiar to us. if there are strange things unfamiliar to us, thatā€™s even better.

5 Likes

Have you considered that it may be difficult to replicate these carrots? are the carrots in question currently available?

Allot of the models Ive seen look 3D scanned and if the vegetables in question arenā€™t available this could be a feasible reason for going the route they did.

theyā€™re similar, just different color. like yellow, white, purple, etc

Hmmā€¦ on germans amazon the colorful carrots are not available at the moment. Maybe next week or soā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Your worries on my head.

You called? (Twenty characters)

With ā€œavailableā€, you mean if they exist today? Sure they do. They have the same shape as any carrot, but have other colours that are more common among other root vegetables. My family sometimes buy them just to get some nice colours in our meals and salads.

I agree with 213 though. Making carrots in different colours would be one of many details in the world that shows the difference between their time and our time. There could be a lot of details like this, like tools, plants, professions or whatever, that you stumble upon and just have no idea what it is. Then you do a little research and find out itā€™s something commonly found in the middle ages that has fallen out of use since.

1 Like

Yes, i did. i need some cabbage to offer to the deadric lord sheogorath.

yes!! :slight_smile:

I like to laugh !! but I love you all anyway.

Is this better?

dont think those are carrots, looks like parsnip

I kinda thought the same thing at first so I decided to look into it.

White carrots

I noticed white carrots have a bit of green extending beyond the leaf base (not always but in most cases) and have a consistent taper from root tip to leaf base.

Parsnips

In parsnips I have found 0 images of any greening on the root after the leaf base, also the tapering of the root is inconsistent usually having a large bulbous top.

The easiest way to identify one V.S. the other is the leaves, but we donā€™t have any in game to look at currently.

Carrot Leaves

Parsnip Leaves.

Carrots v.s. Parsnips
Parsnips Are Not White Carrots

This isnā€™t conclusive but based on the 2hrs or internet research I have done I am definitely leaning toward the carrot v.s. parsnip.

1 Like

There have been many books on plants / herbs at this time. Why not add one with a few crops to the game ? Thus, the purple carrot or whatever could be identified. Of course the drawings should be arranged neatly and in alphabetic order.

Example ( last quarter 14th century, author unknown - sorry, the camera on my tablet is really bad ):

i would say those are definitely white carrots. because the only other similar plant is white radish which is asian, and parsnip, which is too rough and yellow to be that

1 Like

Thatā€™s where I stand, I had never heard of non orange carrots before this game so I thought people were talking about Icicle radishes.

yeah I think youre right it looks like white carrots in the game because of its shape and colour

My life has been a whole lieā€¦

Okay, I am the only one who noticed the change in historical accuracy in Alpha 0.5? :wink:

2 Likes