Poll: What should be our next stretch goal? What about 3rd person camera?

I was talking about the comments everyone was making, “no it should be this way because i said so!” “no this way” i was not literally talking about the game designers and the company as if they were divided between factions and they kept fighting to the point of, “ehh, i give up, lets put it on the forums.” I think you are translating my statement incorrectly.

I usually play in 1st person, but there is no denying that it is sometimes VERY handy to switch to 3rd person. Especially if it includes a Birds-Eye-View.

1 Like

a) So your comprehension of democracy and voting is that the minority should shut up? Or why do you even come up with that here? You think that only the majority has good arguments? How do you think the majority came to its opinion in the first place? By coincidence?
b) I haven’t seen anybody here imposing anything on anybody. We are just talking about a subject, stating opinions and exchanging arguments.
c) People here gave good arguments (for either side), so no, imho not everything is subjective. Taste is subjective but not everything in video game design is about taste.
d) You are the one who constantly tries to dismiss people who don’t agree with you and I really urge you to stop that. You have every right to state your own opinion here like everyone else but there is no reason to show disrespect to other people.

1 Like

Obviously there are many passionate points of view floating around about this whole topic and while I do not wish to become excessively embroiled in the argument of which view is better, immersion vs cinematics or whether the sky should predominantly be grey or blue for that matter, I would like to point out that I have been misquoted considerably.

My reference to 1st person gameplay over the years being a disservice was not directed at this specific game, but a number of other titles I have played, made by other studios, over the last 16 years. It was a general comment concerning my past gaming experience. If I was not interested in 1st person gameplay at all then why would I have arrived here discussing a game I have backed that is (as of right now) 1st person only? My apologies if some people get the wrong idea.

The intent of my post then, to clarify, was:

1. I love what warhorse is trying to create and their overall vision
  2. If they choose to give people the OPTION to play the way that each individual WANTS to play then they are providing a very positive experience for the community
  3. I was answering the ACTUAL aim of this thread - Yes, I would love to see 3rd person views in areas that allow it, if it is optional, does not affect gameplay design, finances, etc, etc, etc, because that is my personal opinion which I don’t expect everyone to share, however since they ASKED, I answered.

I hope this translation helps. :wink:

I think it’s a good stretch goal. It’s no that cheating, because human has side vision and sometimes feels somehow when someone approaches from behind, like enemy stabbing you in the back at the battlefield. But you can’t implement such feelings in the game that easily and naturally. So though my answer is “I’d check out both and then decide”, I suggest you to go for it. Especially since so much people are begging for it.

1 Like

I will remain impartial to the debate on whether or not TPV will ruin/improve the game. However, I want to expressly re-state that this…

is most definitely NOT what I want. Please try to focus on the actual title of the thread here. The thread is "What should be our next stretch goal? What about 3rd person camera? And to that question I, and 94 others have voted “No way!”

However, the issue I find with this entire thread is that I can’t believe that this question is what everyone is voting on. I think a new poll is needed. Or perhaps two polls. To address both issues that are actually being discussed here.

If you read this, please consider exactly what it was you voted on. I state again that I strongly disagree with this feature being a stretch goal. I would very much rather see some other visual or functional facet implemented (see another post of mine HERE). I voted “No way!” because I do not want this to be the next stretch goal. Not because I care one way or the other about TPV vs. FPV and its merits/detriments to the game.

5 Likes

For the sake of making things more clear, I thought it would be good to create a couple very basic, specific polls you can now see. Whether or not Warhorse takes them into account is completely up to them.

2 Likes

LOL… thanks for actually doing this. I probably should have been the one, since I was the one “complaining” about it… haha :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smile: But I hadn’t planned on it, so good thing you went ahead and did it. Way to go :smiley:

1 Like

an alternative

“Ingame cultural enrichement”

Artisans and artists become enmeshed in the networks of the cities
And their activities become integrated in the daily cycles of NPCs classified as Artisans.
Morality plays could be added to the game,like the castle of preservance
Along with all the instruments of that time being made available ingame ,just like weapons,for those who want to play like a bard xD

1 Like

no medieval guitar hero…imho

2 Likes

in my opinion i think a lot of people are being selfish.
if you don’t want 3rd person dan just dont use it .
but my self i wold love to have it in the game and hope day put it in.
and if you think day can use the money better with order stuff like stuff the selfish one want.
how about the 3rd person option will bring more backers be cos day want 3rd person

A 3rd-person camera view seems like a “waste” of a $400,000 stretch goal, because it comes across as a relatively minor tweak: you have the ability to do this in the engine, in fact your animators are using it already, it just a matter of enabling it. Now I’m sure there’s a bit more to it than that because of the combat mechanisms, but it doesn’t seem like it’s “worth” the $400,000 stretch. I certainly wouldn’t be persuaded by it to pledge my support, if I hadn’t already.

I like most of the earlier stretch goals, because they either add additional content, lore or significantly improve existing features. I would much prefer something along those lines over what seems to me like a minor addition.

Note: I have no objection against a 3rd-person view at all (I probably won’t use it, except maybe for screenshots), but I appreciate people want the option of playing this way. I just don’t think it’s a worthy stretch goal.

6 Likes

from the way vavra tells it in his follow up posts, it seems him or the team has been persuaded that it is an acceptable or even good thing to allow players to use a polished version of their dev debug vanity pivot camera.

i too think they should just do it and just make the next stretchgoal a little higher to accomodate the dev cost of third person. it shouldn’t be too much.

Scandalously taken out of context…I hate guitar heroes,but I love the bard in rpg games…
Too few games give the bard class the love it deserves though…

And I find it ironic and laughable that someone would call people that want an alternative selfish…
3rd camera…what a waste indeed…

I really like the idea of 3rd person view while on horseback, but in my opinion the combat should be 1st person only, it is more immersive, it is what you guys were aiming for in the beginning, and first person combat is more fun in my opinion. What I’d like is maybe is automatically switches to 3rd person when you are riding a horse and you could switch back to first person if you wanted (or something like that).

I say go for it. Even though I would play mostly in first person, some activities like horse riding are in my opinion more fun if played in third person.
Being completely optional, I don’t see any harm in including 3rd person camera in the game. And from the looks of the poll results alot of people would enjoy it than I imagined.

Also I disagree with the opinion (expressed by some in this forum) that the devs should not at all listen to their audience and “do their thing only”. After all we are the people they are making the game for…

3 Likes

Any stretch goal that would add additional content,lore,… would be a better one
The final score for the game will be determined by what the game has to offer.
It amazes me who we always go back to discussing 3rd person while they asked what the next stretch goal should be…Perhaps they should have left the “what about 3rd person camera” out of the title…so people would actually be more open for alternatives

all automatic switches go from third to 1st person. this is a feature being offered out of courtesy, don’t take an inch and ask for a mile.

Definitely, and it shouldnt be like a MINI-GAME when you play an instrument.

1 Like

oh ,under game menu -“freedome of choice”

• “stand tall as a brave knight in armor,sneak behind enemy lines as invisible thief,or win hearts as a popular bard.”

Might be how I found the game :smiley: as I was looking for a “rpg” game where you’re able to play like a "bard."
Bet playing Henry bard-style will make many hearts melt away…Perhaps he’s even able to befriend NPCs that would otherwise turn out to be hostile.But ofcourse a bard has enemies too.
Most curious how the bard will turn out…perhaps he’s only able to win over NPCs through songs out of combat?
Perhaps there are points he can take the stage and gain a role in a morality play with other NPCs,…
There could be mini games too yea…just like with blacksmithing…being the son of a blacksmith he needs to practice in order to master instruments I bet…
Maybe this is already in the game…

For next stretch goal “more interactable objects/environments” would be another cool stretch goal imo

1 Like